There’s been a slew of news about the injured Yankees, so let’s get to it.
- Severino will start again for Double-A Trenton on Wednesday during the ELCS. Aaron Boone said he’ll be able to throw 60+ pitches in that start.
- Presumably, if all goes well, he’ll be activated to start during the Yankees’ final homestand of the year. As a reminder, since he’s on the 60-day IL, that would require a 40-man roster move.
- Severino tossed 3+ innings in Trenton on Friday, striking out five.
CC Sabathia/Domingo German
- Sabathia will be activated Wednesday and start against the Tigers in Detroit. He lasted just three innings in his last start on Aug. 30 before he was lifted with a recurrence of his right knee injury.
- Sabathia hasn’t thrown more than 4 1/3 innings in a start since July 16.
- Don’t worry; German is not injured. However, the team is looking to lighten his workload, so he will be piggybacking behind Sabathia in that Wednesday start. He did this once before this season in Sabathia’s first start of the year.
- This could be a precursor to using German out of the bullpen in the postseason, but either way, it should help keep him fresher for October.
- Hicks will receive a second opinion on his injured right elbow Monday. The centerfielder has been out since injuring his elbow on Aug. 3 against the Red Sox and recently suffered a setback in his recovery.
- Ben Heller has completed his second rehab assignment from Tommy John surgery and will be activated prior to Tuesday’s series opener in Detroit, the reliever told reporters. He is with the Yankees in Boston after Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was eliminated Saturday.
- Deivi Garcia headed to Tampa, not New York, after Scranton’s season ended. He is continuing to throw and Aaron Boone won’t count him out as a factor down the stretch.