News & Notes
- Right after his outing in the Futures Game (more on that below), Deivi Garcia was promoted to Triple-A. The 20-year-old has a 3.01 ERA with 114 strikeouts in 68 2/3 innings across High-A/Double-A.
- Garcia is young for his signing class, so he’ll need to be added to the 40-man roster after this season (I was wrong on that a few weeks ago). That makes a potential call-up to the Majors at some point more logical for NYY. Still, he’s a little more than a month past his 20th birthday.
Futures Game: (AL vs. NL 2-2 tie) … Deivi Garcia was the starting pitcher for the American League team and was the only NYY rep.
- RHP Deivi Garcia: 1 IP, zeros, 1 K — Fastball sat 93-97 mph. Attacked with his fastball and got Braves prospect Christian Pache looking on a 96-mph heater. Garcia used all four of his pitches and got a pop out on his changeup. No hard contact. Curveball was sharp as advertised. Last two batters he retired (WAS’s Kieboom and MIA’s Diaz) were Triple-A batters.
- Garcia, as you can imagine, was pumped to pitch in the game.
“Wow. There’s so much energy out there. I had a lot of adrenaline. That was so was exciting.” – Yankees pitching prospect Deivi Garcia on his first inning. #FuturesGame @MLBPipeline pic.twitter.com/6QJcGspF9l— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) July 7, 2019
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1: (6-3 win over Rochester F/7) … Beat up on former Railrider Drew Hutchison, who NYY released a few weeks ago.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Raynel Espinal: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 5/3 GB/FB — 53 of 80 (66%) were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP David Sosebee: 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
- Hitting Star: 1B Ryan McBroom: 1-for-2, HR, 2 R, RBI, BB
- On Deck: SS Thairo Estrada: 1-for-3, HR, R, RBI, BB
- On Deck: RF Zack Zehner: 1-for-3, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 1 K
- Notables: LF Clint Frazier went 1-for-4 … 2B Tyler Wade went 2-for-3 with a run and a stolen base … C Kyle Higashioka K’d twice in 3 AB.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 2: (7-4 win over Rochester F/7) … Makeup of yesterday’s rainout.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Stephen Tarpley: 2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 4/1 GB/FB — 20 of 33 (61%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Will Carter: 3 IP, 2 H, zeros — Triple-A debut
- In Relief: RHPs Jonathan Holder and Joe Harvey: Combined 2 IP, 0 R — Holder allowed two hits, neither had any K or BB.
- Hitting Star: DH Kyle Higashioka: 2-for-3, 2 2B, 2 RBI
- On Deck: 2B Tyler Wade: 2-for-2, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 R, 1 CS
- On Deck: C Erik Kratz: 2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 R
- Notables: SS Thairo Estrada hit a two-run double and K’d once in 3 AB … RF Trey Amburgey went 1-for-3 with a HR.