News & Notes
- SS Oswald Peraza will be with the Yankees in Iowa for the Field of Dreams game tomorrow. It’s not clear if he’ll be an active player, but at the very least, he’ll be on the taxi squad. Peraza is the lone infielder on the 40-man roster who is healthy and not already on the major league roster (Lindsey Adler/Mike Ashmore).
- RHP Clarke Schmidt‘s rehab assignment is over. The Yankees reinstated him from the 60-day injured list and optioned him to Triple-A (Yankees). He pitched tonight for the Patriots to round out his rehab stint.
- RHP Corey Kluber will start for Somerset tomorrow in his first rehab outing. Figure he’s on track for an early September return (Bryan Hoch).
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
This one was over early. Lehigh Valley scored five in the third and three more in the fourth in a 9-3 win over the RailRiders (box score).
- Starting pitcher: LHP Josh Maciejewski: 4.0 IP, 8 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 HR — 52 of 77 pitches were strikes (68%)…All of the organization’s COVID/health issues have forced Maciejewski up to SWB from Hudson Valley, skipping Double-A entirely. It’s been a tough go so far, but perhaps unsurprising for the jump (9.00 ERA in 13 innings).
- In relief: RHP Nick Green: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, WP — 26 of 41 pitches were strikes (63%)
- In relief: RHP Adam Warren: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K — 21 of 29 pitches were strikes (72%)
- Too little, too late: 1B Armando Alvarez and 3B Max Burt hit homers after the team was already down 9-0…Both also reached base in separate plate appearances, with Alvarez singling and Burt walking.
- Leftovers: Very quiet night offensively. CF Greg Allen, C Donny Sands and 2B Cristian Perez all had a single each.
Double-A Somerset Patriots:
Game 1: As mentioned at the top, this was Schmidt’s last rehab start. The Patriots staked him to an early 2-0 lead, but Somerset lost to Portland 3-2 (box score).
- Rehab watch: Starting pitcher: RHP Clarke Schmidt: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP — 34 of 52 pitches were strikes (65%)…Totaled 12.1 IP in four rehab starts between the FCL Yanks, Tampa Tarpons, and Somerset. Figure he can get up to 65 pitches in his next outing with the RailRiders.
- In relief: RHP Barrett Loseke: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K — 27 of 42 pitches were strikes (64%)
- In relief: RHP Kevin Gadea: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K — 8 of 13 pitches were strikes (62%)
- Hitting star: CF Brandon Lockridge: 2-4, R, HR, RBI, 2 K — Took an 0-fer in the second game of the double header, but is up to .320/.360/.553 in 111 plate appearances with Somerset
- Prospect watch: C Josh Breaux: 0-2, R, BB — Been a rough start at Double-A, but the good thing (in an extremely small sample) is that he’s making plenty of contact, striking out just 3 of 27 plate appearances (11%) after 73 in 276 plate appearances (26%) with Hudson Valley.
- Leftovers: 1B Dermis García doubled and walked…SS Oswaldo Cabrera and DH Isiah Gilliam both had a hit.
Game 2: Somerset earned a double header split behind a brilliant outing from Hayden Wesneski, winning 3-0 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Hayden Wesneski: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K — 61 of 89 pitches were strikes (69%)…Complete game shutout for 2019’s 6th rounder. This is the second straight really good start for him, which has dropped his ERA at Somerset from 7.01 to 5.40.
- Hitting star: C Chase Illig: 1-1, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB — Always cool to see an a pretty unknown guy have a big game…Illig was the Yanks’ 29th round choice in 2019.
- Leftovers: SS Oswaldo Cabrera and 2B Chad Bell both doubled…RF Isiah Gilliam picked up two knocks and stole his 18th bag…DH Michael Beltre had the other hit for the team.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades:
The BlueClaws beat the Renegades, 7-6 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Anderson Muñoz: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HR — 48 of 70 pitches were strikes (69%)
- In relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR — 28 of 45 pitches were strikes (62%)
- In relief: RHP Matt Minnick: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K — 28 of 40 pitches were strikes (70%)
- In relief: RHP Nelson Alvarez: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K — 10 of 16 pitches were strikes (63%)
- Prospect watch: DH Austin Wells: 2-4, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB — His first homer at the level.
- Prospect watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-3, 2 R, 2 BB, 3 K — Snapped a four game hitting streak
- Prospect watch: CF Everson Pereira: 1-3, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K — Three game hit streak with all knocks going for extra bases
- Leftovers: 1B Andres Chaparro, 3B James Nelson, and 2B Eduardo Torrealba singled.
The Tampa Tarpons game was postponed. No game for the FCL Yankees on the schedule tonight, either.