It’s Mariano Rivera Day in the Bronx as the Yankees celebrate the unanimous Hall of Famer before today’s game.
In a way, it’s been Mo Season as he threw out the first pitch on Opening Day and stole the show at Old Timers Day. That’s the type of reception you get and deserve when you do what Rivera did for this organization. (I will again make a pitch for a big Mike Mussina Day. He deserves it, too!)
After today’s ceremony in the Bronx, there’s the matter of a game to be played. The Yankees and Indians played a playoff-esque game Friday night and we’ll have to see if that atmosphere carries over to Saturday.
To the lineups!
- Francisco Lindor, SS
- Oscar Mercado, LF
- Carlos Santana, 1B
- Yasiel Puig, RF
- Jose Ramirez, 3B
- Franmil Reyes, DH
- Jason Kipnis, 2B
- Kevin Plawecki, C
- Greg Allen, CF
RHP Zach Plesac
- Brett Gardner, CF
- DJ LeMahieu, 1B
- Gio Urshela, 3B
- Didi Gregorius, DH
- Gleyber Torres, SS
- Cameron Maybin, RF
- Mike Tauchman, LF
- Austin Romine, C
- Thairo Estrada, 2B
LHP James Paxton
News & Notes
- I missed DoTF yesterday, so here are some quick hits:
- Michael King lost in his return to Scranton, though Clint Frazier had a two-hit game with a double. Trey Amburgey went 3-for-4 with a 2B.
- Isiah Gilliam and Kellin Deglan homered as Trenton beat Reading despite a poor Double-A debut for Clarke Schmidt.
- Tampa had their game suspended with a 4-0 lead in the fourth.
- Josh Breaux homered in a Charleston blowout loss. Breaux appears to be exclusively DH right now due to his elbow injury from earlier this year.
- Staten Island lost, 7-6, even though Ezequiel Duran homered and Josh Smith had another two-hit game. Smith has been tearing it up!
- Pulaski lost, 6-1, while GCL Yankees West fell, 7-3. GCL Yankees East were rained out and will have three straight days with doubleheaders on Aug. 22-24.
Michael Kay returns to the YES booth as the Yankees and Indians start at 1 p.m. today. Looks to be beautiful weather in the Bronx, so hooray!