- We’ve got a timeline for Didi Gregorius’ return: Aaron Boone thinks the shortstop will be back for the Friday series opener in Cleveland. That will involve three more rehab games with a day off on Monday. Lindsey Adler has the details.
- I know it’s early, but the Tarpons have five Florida State League All-Stars: 1B Dermis Garcia, C Jason Lopez, CF Isiah Gilliam, RHP Braden Bristo and RHP Brooks Kisto. Not bad, Tampa!
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: (7-4 win over Lehigh Valley) … The Railriders are now up five games in the loss colum on second-place Lehigh Valley.
- Didi Watch: Sir Didi Gregorius got his first hit in the Triple-A portion of his rehab, going 1-for-4 with an RBI single. Here’s video of the single. He played all nine innings at shortstop and is set to DH on Sunday.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Drew Hutchison: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 5/3 GB/FB — 65 of his 99 pitches (66%) were strikes … Gave up a leadoff homer and didn’t look back … The veteran righty has a 5.65 ERA in Scranton this year.
- In Relief: LHP Stephen Tarpley: 2/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K — After Rex Brothers gave up three ninth-inning runs to cut the game to three, Tarpley stepped in to save the contest.
- Hitting Star: CF Billy Burns: 3-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 R, 0 BB, 0 K — His first homer of the season
- On Deck: 1B Mike Ford and DH Logan Morrison: Each went 1-for-4 with a homer — Second straight night with a dinger for Ford, while Morrison comes straight from a suspension to a dinger.
- Other Notables: 3B Breyvic Valera does not stop hitting, going 2-for-3 with a walk … 2B Brad Miller had an RBI double.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (2-1 win over Harrisburg) … Thunder now sit 1.5 games up in the Eastern Division with 16 days left in the first half.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Garrett Whitlock: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 8/4 GB/FB — 61 of 94 pitches (65%) were strikes … Best start since starting the year with three straight quality starts … Keeping the ball on the ground.
- In Relief: RHPs Will Carter and Daniel Alvarez combined for three scoreless innings of relief … Carter went two frames … Alvarez now has eight saves.
- Hitting Star: DH Mandy Alvarez: 2-for-3, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R — First homer of 2019 for Alvarez.
- On Deck: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 SB, 1 K — Fifth stolen base for Park.
- More to know: RF Ben Ruta had an RBI single to open the scoring … This is kind of Trenton’s fourth straight win, but the Thunder look poised to lose their suspended game from Thursday.
High-A Tampa Tarpons: (4-0 win over Bradenton) … 10 back in the loss column of first place
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Nelson: 3 2/3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 1/2 GB/FB — 44 of his 67 pitches (66%) were strikes … Came off IL to pitch for first time since April 14.
- In Relief: RHP Miguel Yajure: 5 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K, 7/0 GB/FB — Wow. The 21-year-old didn’t allow a ball out of the infield and gave up no hits over 16 outs. Bravo!
- Hitting Star: 1B Dermis Garcia: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 R, — 13th homer for Garcia, who leads the FSL in dingers.
- On Deck: SS Oswaldo Cabrera 1-for-2, 2 R, 1 BB
- Other Notables: CF Pablo Olivares went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs Game 1: (6-4 loss at Lexington)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Luis Medina: 4 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 7 K, 2/3 GB/FB — 41 of his 85 pitches (48%) were strikes … Two wild pitches … His ERA is 9.64.
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GB/FB — Allowed a go-ahead, three-run homer.
- Hitting Star: CF Brandon Lockridge: 2-for-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 R — 8th homer for last year’s fifth-round pick. Solid in the leadoff spot.
- On Deck: LF Canaan Smith: 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K — His .327 average after the doubleheader is third in the South Atlantic League.
- Other Notables: CF Pablo Olivares went 2-for-4 with a run scored
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs Game 2: (7-2 loss at Lexington) … Despite the sweep, still in first place in their division.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Roansy Contreras: 5 2/3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 9 K, 1 HR, 5/2 GB/FB — 56 of his 86 pitches (65%) were strikes … One of his runs scored as an inherited runner by Jefry Valdez, who allowed three runs of his own and let the game get out of hand.
- Hitting Star: 1B Michael Gasper: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- On Deck: Lockridge: 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 SB — 10 stolen bases this season for the center fielder.
- Other Notables: 2B Kyle Gray had a pair of hits in the loss.