Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1
The RailRiders resumed their game after it was suspended after 2 innings last night with the score 2-0 Red Sox. They fell in game 1, losing 6-2 in a game that brought their record to 33-14 on the season. They left 11 men on base and went 1-12 with runners in scoring position. Not great! But hey, you can’t win them all.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Nelson: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 4 BB, 4 K – 54% of his pitches were strikes…this was quite a Nelsonian performance
- In Relief: RHP Deivi Garcia: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 7 K – 59% of his pitches were strikes…2 runs came on a homer in the 6th, and it was apparently not a bad pitch…looks like a better start, especially considering the lack of walks
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 K – 52% of his pitches were strikes…he has a 1.17 ERA in 2021
- In Relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 K – 100% of his pitches were strikes…not bad
- Hitting Star, Again: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 2-5, HR, 2 K – dude stays absolutely scorching hot
- Multi-Hit Watch: DH Ryan LaMarre: 2-4, 1 BB, 1 K – dude is hitting .351/.422/.500 in Triple-A, which’ll play
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 1-4, 1 B, 2 K, 1 SB, 1 CS – nice to see him be aggressive, though the strikeout bug returned
- Leftovers: quiet day otherwise, though the bottom third of the lineup – Armando Alvarez, Greg Allen, and Andrew Velazquez – each had a hit
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 2
The RailRiders won 1-0 after 5 innings in a rain-shortened game 2 of this one. Both sides had just 2 hits, but a Socrates Brito RBI single in the 3rd was enough. The Railriders are 34-14 on the season.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Reggie McClain: 3.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 3 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes…he is dominating in Scranton
- In Relief: LHP Trevor Lane: 2.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 4 K – 73% of his pitches were strikes
- Florial Watch: DH Estevan Florial: 1-2, R, BB, K, SB
- Philosopher King: RF Socrates Brito: 1-3, RBI
- Heat Check: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 0-2, BB
- Leftovers: nobody else reached base except Ryan LaMarre on a HBP…he stole a base
Double-A Somerset Patriots Game 1
Somerset played the first game of their doubleheader today against the Senators 4-3. They improved to 32-17 on the season. The game was tied at 3 going into the 9th, when Jason Lopez hit an RBI single in a full count. That was that. Both sides struck out 15 (!) times, so there were more strikeouts (30) than hits or walks (19 total) on both sides. Wild.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Ken Waldichuk: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 8 K – 58% of his pitches were strikes…adjusting fine to the Double-A level, holding batters to a .151 BAA, though the walks have significantly increased, with 12 in 15 IP compared to 13 in 30 with Hudson Valley
- In Relief: RHP Ron Marinaccio: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 4 K – 76% of his pitches were strikes…pretty dominant performance
- In Relief: RHP Stephen Ridings: 2.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 3 K – 73% of his pitches were strikes…Ridings has a 0.47 ERA w/ a .123 BAA against with 30 K in 19 IP
- Red Hot Watch: 2B Diego Castillo: 1-5, R, 2B, RBI – he’s hitting .343
- Walk Off Alert: C Jason Lopez: 1-3, RBI, 1 BB
- Middle-Infield Watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 0-4, 2 K
- Leftovers: Oswaldo Cabrera, Michael Beltre, Thomas Milone, and Isiah Gilliam had the other hits…Beltre added a stolen base
Double-A Somerset Patriots Game 2
The second game of the doubleheader was postponed due to the insane rain. They’ll play a single-admission doubleheader, meaning two seven inning games, starting at 5 pm tomorrow night. Check it out if you can.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The Renegades game was postponed until tomorrow, obviously due to the weather. The first game of the doubleheader will take place at 5:05 tomorrow.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons Game 1
The Tarpons beat the Hammerheads 8-1 in what was a 7-inning game. It was supposed to be a doubleheader, of course. They held Jupiter to just 1 hit and 4 baseunners (2 walks, 1 HBP). Dominant performance. They had 9 hits, too.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Yoendrys Gómez: 2.o IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K – 57% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Anderson Munoz: 3.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 4 K – 58% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Trevor Holloway: 2.0 IP, zeros, 3 K – 70% of his pitches were strikes
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 3-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB – nice performance from May’s breakout star, who has cooled significantly since
- First Round Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 2-3, R, HR, 4 RBI, BB, CS – Volpe has been damn good in 2021…an absolute success story for the Yanks
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 0-2, R, 2 BB
- Multi-Hit Watch: DH Carlos Narvaez: 2-2, R, RBI, BB
- Leftovers: Jake Sanford and Andres Chaparro had the other Tampa hits
Single-A Tampa Tarpons Game 2
The Tarpons suspended the second game of the doubleheader due to rain in the middle of the first inning. There was no score. The game will resume tomorrow at 4 pm nd the regularly scheduled game will follow.
Rookie-Level Florida Complex League Yankees East
The Yankees East were off today. They’ll play the Tigers tomorrow.