Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
Scranton’s eight game winning streak has come to an end. Lehigh Valley beat them 3-2 in 12 innings (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Brody Koerner: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K — 18 of 33 pitches were strikes (55%)…Unclear why he left early, perhaps an injury.
- In relief: RHP Reggie McClain: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K — 18 of 20 pitches were strikes (90%)…Has a 0.95 ERA
- In relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.0 IP, 1 BB, zeroes — 12 of 16 pitches were strikes (75%)
- In relief: RHP Sal Romano: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K — 18 of 25 pitches were strikes (72%)
- In relief: RHP Nick Goody: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K — 13 of 21 pitches were strikes (62%)
- In relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 3.0 IP, 4 K, zeroes — 23 of 29 pitches were strikes (79%)…has great stuff, it’s just that nights where his control is like this are few and far between.
- In relief: RHP Luis García: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 K — 4 of 6 pitches were strikes (67%)…Allowed walk-off single to Charlie Tilson in the 12th during Manfredball.
- On-base machine: RF Trey Amburgey: 1-4, R, 3B, RBI, BB, K — Has reached base in 32 straight games, a franchise record.
- Boone takes notice: CF Hoy Park: — 1-5, BB, K — The Yankees manager was asked about Park prior to today’s game, as you can see below.
- Leftovers: DH Ryan LaMarre had two hits…LF Socrates Brito and SS Andrew Velazquez chipped in a single each…No one else recorded a hit.
Aaron Boone said today that Hoy Jun Park playing CF in AAA is a way to keep his versatility in play:— Max Goodman (@MaxTGoodman) June 23, 2021
“That’s been in his toolbox for the last couple years, he has worked a little bit out there. So that’s part of his skill set. Obviously he’s doing very well down there…”
Double-A Somerset Patriots
Game 1: Somerset dropped the first of two tonight to Portland, 5-3 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Luis Medina: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 6 BB, 5 K, 1 HR — 51 of 95 pitches were strikes (54%)…Not his best work in his second Double-A start.
- In relief: RHP Addison Russ: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K — 14 of 26 pitches were strikes (54%)
- Hitting star: SS Oswald Peraza: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 K — Booming double off the “Maine Monster” can be seen below.
- Leftovers: RF Michael Beltre homered…2B Diego Castillo and DH Isiah Gilliam had two hits a piece…Castillo’s were both two-baggers…CF Thomas Milone and 3B Oswaldo Cabrera tallied base hits, with Cabrera’s a double.
Oswald Peraza stays red hot with a two-run double 🔥🥵 pic.twitter.com/cKwY5hdfmJ— Somerset Patriots (@SOMPatriots) June 23, 2021
Game 2: The Patriots completed the sweep of the double-dip against Portland, winning game two 11-3 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: LHP Ken Waldichuk: 5.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 10 K, 1 HR — 56 of 95 pitches were strikes (59%)…The last batter he faced, Tate Matheny, took him deep for a two-run shot…Great game otherwise in his second Double-A start.
- In relief: RHP Zach Greene: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 24 of 37 pitches were strikes (65%)
- Hitting star: CF Michael Beltre: 2-4, 2 R, 3B, 3 RBI — Heck of a double header for him.
- Prospect watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 0-3, R, RBI, BB, K, SB — Pinch hit for in the seventh, but I wouldn’t worry. It was a blowout.
- Doubling down: 3B Max Burt, 2B Diego Castillo, 1B Dermis García, and RF Thomas Milone all doubled.
- Leftovers: Peraza was the only Patriot without a hit in this one…DH Oswald Cabrera singled, walked, and stole a base.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
If you thought today’s Yankees game was wild, check out the finish of the Renegades game. They fell behind 8-3 in the 11th inning, only to score six runs and win it in the bottom half, 9-8 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Shawn Semple: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K — 47 of 73 pitches were strikes (65%)…The Yankees dropped him to this level from Somerset last week during a round of promotions to level out rosters. He now has given up just two runs in 12 innings for Hudson Valley.
- In relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K — 18 of 30 pitches were strikes (60%)
- In relief: RHP Jefry Valdez: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K — 34 of 47 pitches were strikes (72%)
- In relief: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 0.1 IP, BB, zeroes — 5 of 11 pitches were strikes (45%)
- Hitting star: C Anthony Seigler: 2-5, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB, K — Delivered the game-winning walk-off double in the 11th
- Duran goes deep: 2B Ezequiel Duran: 1-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB, K — His 7th homer on the season in 155 at-bats…Had 13 in 246 at-bats for Staten Island in 2019.
- Leftovers: SS Josh Smith‘s six-game hit streak came to an end, though he walked and scored a run…DH Josh Breaux, 3B James Nelson, and 1B Chad Bell all had hits, with Bell picking up two.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
Tampa was supposed to play a second game after the continuation of yesterday’s suspended game, but wound up only playing game one. They beat Lakeland, 4-3 (box score). Game two was postponed due to rain. A double header is scheduled tomorrow.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Yoendrys Gomez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K — 12 of 16 pitches were strikes (75%)…This happened last night before the rain, hence only one inning pitched.
- In relief: RHP Anderson Munoz: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K — 17 of 35 pitches were strikes (49%)
- In relief: LHP Michael Giacone: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K — 35 of 54 pitches were strikes (65%)
- In relief: RHP Trevor Holloway: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K — 26 of 40 pitches were strikes (65%)
- Hitting star: 2B Trevor Hauver: 3-4, R, BB — Hasn’t homered in 158 plate appearances since he went yard six times in the first five games of the year. Still, nice to see him have a game like this after entering tonight in a 4-for-36 slide.
- First round watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-4, RBI, BB, K — Hitless in last three games after having a 15-game hitting streak.
- First round watch: C Austin Wells: 0-4, R, BB, K
- Leftovers: The Tarpons scored once on a wild pitch and once on a balk. Only Volpe and 3B Andres Chaparro picked up RBIs.