News & Notes
- Anthony Volpe is now a BA Top 100 prospect. See his write up here (subs req’d). It’s been a very good season for the 2019 first rounder, who has picked up some very nice accolades of late.
- Ken Waldichuk and JP Sears gave FanGraphs a very interesting interview today. Check that out here. Plenty of good stuff in there.
- The RailRiders placed Chris Gittens on the seven-day IL with an undisclosed injury, though it makes sense something was up. He hasn’t been in a game since the 27th. (Conor Foley)
- There will be MiLB playoffs yet again. The Double-A, High-A, and Low-A levels will have a best-of-five series to determine a champion, with the top 2 teams in each league competing. That will begin on September 21. Gotta think all 3 NYY affiliates have a shot.
- Not so fast for Triple-A. There will be no playoffs, but a champion will be crowned based on overall record. The season will end on October 3. Again, Scranton has a chance.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders were postponed against Worcester due to the rain. They will play a doubleheader when they return to Worcester in the week of July 13, though we don’t know exactly when the game will be yet.
Double-A Somerset Patriots Game 1
Somerset defeated the Senators 7-0 in Game 1 of today’s doubleheader, improving their record to 33-17 on the season. Patriots pitchers allowed just 4 hits in 7 innings, with 8 strikeouts and no walks. Pretty good showing. By contrast, they had 9 hits. Five of those were of the extra-base hit variety. Everyone in slots 2-8 had at least one hit. That’ll work most days.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP JP Sears: 4.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 6 K – 68% of his pitches were strikes…he has a 2.10 ERA
- In Relief: RHP Janson Junk: 3.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 2 K – 72% of his pitches were strikes…he has a 0.78 WHIP in 48 innings in 2021
- Hitting Star: 2B Oswaldo Cabrera: 3-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, K – he’s up to .264/.308/.477 on the season
- Peraza Watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 1-4, 1 R, 2B
- Cooldown Alert: DH Diego Castillo: 0-4, 1 K
- Extra Base Hit Power: 1B Dermis Garcia: 1-4, HR, 2 K
- Extra Base Hit Power: CF Michael Beltre: 1-2, R, 2B, BB
- Extra Base Hit Power: RF Thomas Milone: 1-2, 2B, 3 RBI – the 26-year-old is hitting .338/.411/.636 in 77 AB with Somerset this year
- Leftovers: Donny Sands and Matt Pita had the other Somerset hits
Double-A Somerset Patriots Game 2
The Patriots fell to 33-18 after a 5-2 loss in the second game. They had just 5 hits, and Wesneski was roughed up. Can’t win ’em all.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Hayden Wesneski: 5.0 IP, 11 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 6 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes…pretty brutal performance
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Gadea: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 1 K – 65% of his pitches were strikes
- Cooldown Alert: 3B Diego Castillo: 0-3
- Peraza Watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 0-3, K
- Extra Base Hit Alert: DH Donny Sands: 1-3, R, 2B
- Hitting Star: C Jason Lopez: 2-2, BB
- Leftovers: Isiah Gilliam had a 2 RBI hit to make it close at one point…nice game for Thomas Milone, who was 1-2 with a run and a walk…that was it for offense
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
Last night’s game will be made up tomorrow – not sure if I screwed that up last night or if it changed due to the weather – but no matter. There was a game tonight. The ‘Gades lost 8-2, though. Bummer! They fell to 32-18, and there wasn’t much to write home about. Rough display on both sides.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Reid Anderson: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 6 K – 67% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Barrett Loseke: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 5 K – 66% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Jefry Valdez: 0.0 IP, 1 R, 1 BB – 0% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 K – 86% of his pitches were strikes
- Hit Alert: LF Pablo Olivares: 1-4, 2B, 2 K – yep, one of those nights that I’m highlighting a hit
- Hit Alert: 1B Kyle MacDonald: 1-3, 2B, RBI
- Leftovers: abysmal performance elsewhere…Josh Smith had two walks, Josh Breaux had a walk, and so did Brandon Lockridge…that was it for baserunners…they had 10 strikeouts overall
Single-A Tampa Tarpons Game 1
The Tarpons improved to 34-15 on the season after dispatching the Hammerheads 6-0 in Game 1 of the doubleheader. They resumed this game after it was suspended last night, remember. Tampa pitching allowed just 1 hit in 7 innings, didn’t walk anyone, and struck out 12 – is that good? Tampa hitters had 7 hits and worked 5 walks.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Clay Aguilar: 1.0 IP, zeros, 2 K – 58% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: RHP Matt Sauer: 6.0 IP, 1 H, zeros, 10 K – a nice 69% of his pitches went for strikes…absolutely dominant performance
- Hitting Star: RF Jake Sanford: 3-4, R, 2B, HR, 5 RBI – he carried the offense, obviously…the 23-year-old OF is hitting .292/.365/.421 going into Game 2
- Volpe Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-0, 3 BB, R, SB – that was the 20th SB of the season for BA’s newest Top 100 player
- Hauver Heat Check: DH Trevor Hauver: 1-4, R, 3 K
- Leftovers: Pat DeMarco, Evan Alexander, and Jesus Bastidas each had a hit…they were the bottom third of the lineup and collectively went 3-8 with 3 R and a HR (Bastidas)
Single-A Tampa Tarpons Game 2
The Tarpons could not complete the sweep, falling 3-1 to the Hammerheads in Game 2 of the doubleheader. They fell to 34-16 on the season as a result. They made it interesting, though: they had just 1 hit through the first 6. In the 7th and final frame, they had 3 hits – including an 8-pitch doozy from Trevor Hauver – that made it 3-1. They had the winning run up, but couldn’t do anything else. Oh well. Can’t win ’em all.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Randy Vasquez: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 7 K – 65% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: RHP Carson Coleman: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K – 54% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: RHP Tanner Myatt: 1.0 IP, zeros, 2 K – 64% of his pitches went for strikes…had a man reach on error, but was retired via a stolen base…another nice outing for Myatt, who’s been good thus far
- Volpe Watch: DH Anthony Volpe: 0-2, 2 BB, K – he was an absolute walk machine today, huh
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 1-4 – had a 9th inning hit
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 2-3, RBI, BB, K – nice day for Hauver, who had a very nice at-bat in the 7th inning to bring the winning run up
- Hit Alert: LF Juan de Leon: 1-3
- Leftovers: abysmal night otherwise, as nobody else had a hit…though they had 5 walks overall, including 2 from Jake Sanford, the Game 1 hero
Rookie-Level Florida Complex League Yankees East
The Yankees East were rained out. They’ll play tomorrow.