Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
A six run eighth propelled the RailRiders to victory over Worcester, 7-3 (box score). This came after opposing starter Connor Seabold mowed down SWB, throwing six one-hit innings and striking out ten.
- Starting pitcher: LHP JP Sears: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K — 61 of 80 pitches were strikes (76%)…Nice debut at the level after posting a 4.09 ERA in 50.2 innings for Somerset. He also picked off a runner.
- In relief: RHP Nick Nelson: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K — 27 of 40 pitches were strikes (68%)
- In relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K — 9 of 13 pitches were strikes (69%)
- Rehab watch: DH Luke Voit: 0-3, R, K, HBP — Got pegged in the eight, but it’s not clear where. Stayed in and eventually scored, which you can see below.
- Prospect watch: CF Estevan Florial: 1-4, R, RBI, 2 K — His single in the eighth inning tied this game
- Leftovers: RF Socrates Brito drove in two runs, one on a sac fly and another on a single. 2B Andrew Velazquez tallied two hits. No extra base hits for the RailRiders tonight.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
- Starting pitcher: RHP Hayden Wesneski: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K — 62 of 86 pitches were strikes (72%)…His 6.35 ERA in 39.2 frames for Somerset is unsightly, but this was a good one. 2019’s 6th round pick has had a hard time adjusting after a bump from Hudson Valley, where he had a 1.49 ERA and 47 strikeouts in 36.1 innings.
- In relief: RHP Ron Marinaccio: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K — 26 of 43 pitches were strikes (60%)…19th round choice in 2017, who hails from Toms River, NJ, has 63 punchouts in 38.2 innings for the Patriots.
- In relief: RHP Zach Greene: 1.0 IP, 2 K, zeroes — 8 of 13 pitches were strikes (62%)….8th round choice in 2019 has fanned 62 in 39.2 innings this year, about evenly split between the Renegades and Patriots.
- Hitting star: 1B Dermis García: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 K — Followed up last night’s dinger with two more today, his 21st and 22nd of the season
- Prospect watch: C Josh Breaux: 2-4, R, HR, 2 RBI — First dinger in Double-A comes in his second game…He has 18 this season.
- Prospect watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 2-4, R, K — Was 5 for his last 32 coming into this one, so hopefully this starts a turnaround
- Prospect watch: CF Brandon Lockridge: 1-5, R, K — Cooled off since a torrid start post-promotion, but he’s still batting .329/.372/.557 for Somerset. Was at .378/.395/.811 on July 22nd.
- Leftovers: LF Isiah Gilliam and 3B Jesus Bastidas both had two-hit games…Gilliam had a double in there…2B Oswaldo Cabrera and DH Jason Lopez each singled.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades held off Brooklyn to win, 3-2 (box score). The Cyclones tallied two in the eighth but it wasn’t enough to come back.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Mitch Spence: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K — 63 of 95 pitches were strikes (66%)…10th rounder in 2019 owns a 3.14 ERA in 63 frames this year, all with HV.
- In relief: RHP Freicer Perez: 1.0 IP, BB, zeroes — 13 of 24 pitches were strikes (54%)
- In relief: RHP Trevor Holloway: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 K — 15 of 25 pitches were strikes (60%)
- In relief: RHP Derek Craft: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K — 10 of 17 pitches were strikes (59%)
- Top of the order woes: SS Anthony Volpe, CF Everson Pereira, and C Austin Wells went 0-for-11 with five strikeouts. Volpe tallied a sac fly, at least. Pereira and Wells struck out twice each, with Volpe recording the other.
- First round watch: DH Anthony Seigler: 1-3, 2 R, 2B, BB — Hitting .211/.316/.388 this year, one of the few underperformers on the farm
- Prospect watch: RF Jake Sanford: 1-4, 2B, 2 K — Now has a four game hit streak…Owns a .290/.347/.507 slash at the level
- Leftovers: LF Pat DeMarco and 2B Oliver Dunn recorded a double and triple, respectively. 1B Chad Bell and 3B Andres Chaparro singled.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
Game 1: The Tarpons came form behind to beat the Hammerheads, 2-1 (box score). Beck Way pitched a terrific game and the Tarpons rallied for two runs in the sixth to take the lead.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Beck Way: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K — 59 of 82 pitches were strikes (72%)…Longest outing of the season for last year’s fourth round pick, hadn’t pitched more than four innings before this one. Threw his slider 57 percent of the time, and it was working: picked up 13 whiffs on 22 swings.
- In relief: RHP Carson Coleman: 1.0 IP, 1 K, zeroes — 6 of 10 pitches were strikes (60%)
- Hitting star: C Carlos Narvaez: 1-3, R, HR, RBI — Solo shot tied the game in the sixth
- The Martian: CF Jasson Dominguez: 1-3, 2 K — Also made a fielding error, his first error for Tampa
- 2021 First round watch: SS Trey Sweeney: 0-3, K — First game with Tampa after two with the FCL club
- 2021 Fourth rounder: 2B Cooper Bowman: 1-2, BB, K — Also his first game with the Tarpons. He got picked off first base.
- Leftovers: 3B Roberto Chirinos tallied the only other hit for Tampa, a double, which followed Narvaez’s dinger. The next hitter, 1B Eric Wagaman, hit a sacrifice fly for the lead (Chirinos moved to third on a wild pitch).
Game 2: No doubleheader sweep. Tampa had an early lead, blew it, and then rallied late but came up short to Jupiter, 7-6 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Tyrone Yulie: 2.1 IP, H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K — 31 of 58 pitches were strikes (53%)
- In relief: RHP Carlos Gomez: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 K — 26 of 47 pitches were strikes (55%)
- In relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K — 25 of 38 pitches were strikes (66%)
- Prospect watch: RF Ryder Green: 2-3, 2B, RBI, BB, K — First inning RBI double gave the Tarpons an early edge
- Going deep: LF Juan De Leon and 2B Luis Santos both homered and struck out once. Santos hit a two-run shot, De Leon’s was of the solo variety.
- Leftovers: Bunch of the regulars got a rest in the second game, as you can tell by comparing the summaries. Only Tarpon without a hit was 1B Tyler Hardman, the team’s fifth round pick this season.
No FCL game once again. Weather and COVID have really put the breaks on their schedule.