- Mike Ford is heading back to Scranton. The Yankees optioned him after yesterday’s game.
- The Giants sent the Yanks Connor Cannon (A-grade name) as the PTBNL in the Mike Tauchman trade. Cannon was a 2019 17th round pick who had a lot of success in rookie ball in 2019, but he hasn’t yet played this year. He’s 23. We’ll see where he’s assigned.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders fell to 16-7 on the season with a 5-2 loss at the hands of the IronPigs. While they worked just 5 hits as an offense, the RailRiders did work 9 walks…but they left 12 runners on base. That’s not going to work very often.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Green: 4.0 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 4 K – 67% of his pitches were strikes…earned the loss
- In Relief: RHP Addison Russ: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 2.0 IP, zeros, 2 BB, 3 K – 65% of his pitches were strikes…has yet to allow in 11.2 IP this season…has 12 K but 9 walks
- In Relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 K – 90% of his pitches were strikes…owner of the only clean Scranton inning in this one
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 0-4, 2 BB, 2 K – 8-for-44 in Triple-A this year with 15 strikeouts
- Hard Hittin’ Chris Gittens: 1B Chris Gittens: 0-2, 3 BB – with Ford returning, maybe we see Gittens in the Bronx tonight
- Hitting Star: 3B Armando Alvarez: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Leftovers: quiet night otherwise…Trey Amburgey, Socrates Brito, and Derek Dietrich had the other hits
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots improved to 17-7 on the season after a 6-1 victory over the abysmal Fightin Phils. They struck out 15 Phils and walked just 3. That’ll work.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP JP Sears: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 10 K – 68% of his pitches were strikes..earned the win
- In Relief: RHP Janson Junk: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 5 K – 66% of his pitches were strikes…has allowed just 1 run in 19 innings of work this year
- Hitting Star: C Donny Sands: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI
- Power Watch: 1B Dermis Garcia: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI – his power surge continues
- Multi-Hit Watch: 3B Max Burt – 2-3, 1 BB, 1 SB
- Leftovers: Diego Castillo had a solo blast…the other Somerset hits came via Matt Pita and Aaron Palensky
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades fel to 13-11 following a 4-1 loss to the Blue Rocks. They struck out 13 times, but pitched very well, fanning 11 opposition hitters and walking just 2. It wasn’t enough, in large part due to some errors and unearned runs.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Jhony Brito: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 5 K – 69% of his pitches were strikes…burned by a throwing error from Eric Wagaman and a wild pitch in the 5th…fell to 1-2 on the year with the loss
- In Relief: RHP Tanner Myatt: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Justin Wilson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 K – 56% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nelson L. Alvarez: 1.0 IP, zeros, 2 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes
- Peraza Watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 0-2, 1 BB, 1 RBI – kicked off the scoring with a sac fly in the 5th
- Duran Watch: 2B Ezequiel Duran: 0-4, 1 K
- First Round Alert: C Anthony Seigler: 0-3, 2 K
- Leftovers: brutal day at the plate…Josh Breaux, Eric Wagaman, Frederick Cuevas, and Evan Alexander had the only hits, with Alexander’s a double
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons are 18-7 following yesterday’s 5-4 victory over the Flying Tigers. They struck out 16 Lakeland batters, which is pretty sweet.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Beck Way: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes…pulled after just 1.1 IP again
- In Relief: LHP Edgar Barclay: 2.2 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 5 K – 65% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Blane Abeyta: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 4 K – 56% of his pitches were strikes…had the worst performance of the night but earned the win
- In Relief: RHP Derek Craft: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 3 K – 65% of his pitches were strikes…left with two outs in the 9th after an error and a walk
- In Relief: LHP Michael Giacone: 0.1 IP, 1 K – 75% of his pitches were strikes…earned the save
- First Round Watch: 2B Anthony Volpe: 0-4, 1 K
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 1-3, 1 BB, 2 K
- Hitting Star: RF Jake Sanford: 2-3, 1 R
- Power Watch: SS Josh Smith: 1-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI
- Multi Hit Alert: 1B Chad Bell: 2-3
- Leftovers: Andres Chaparro had a hit and an RBI…Pat DeMarco had the other hit