News and Notes
- Anthony Siegler was at the heart of a brawl in Charleston when he took exception to an opposing player admiring a home run. On one hand, good to see him showing fight. On the other, ugh, come on. Josh Norris of Baseball America has video of one of Hickory players throwing a punch at Siegler and the ensuing dustup.
- Transactions! OF Josh Stowers is off the IL for Charleston after 20 days on the shelf. OF Omar Carrizales was shifted up to High-A Tampa to make room
- To make room for Carrizales, OF Tyler Hill was released. The 23-year-old outfielder was hitting .242/.313/.362 for Tampa. Hill came over from Boston in December’s Minor League Rule 5 Draft.
- In injury news, SS Eduardo Torrealba was carted off with a knee injury in Charleston’s loss.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (6-2 loss to Durham)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Raynel Espinal: 6 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 6/5 GB/FB — 64 of 100 pitches were strikes … Gave up a home run to former Yankee farmhand Nick Solak.
- In Relief: RHP Joe Harvey: 1 IP, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- Hitting Star: DH Logan Morrison: 3-for-4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 R — Raised his average from .245 to .288 in two days
- On Deck: 2B Breyvic Valera: 2-for-5
- Notables: LF Clint Frazier went 0-for-4 with 3 Ks … RF Ryan McBroom and 3B Gosuke Katoh each went 2-for-4 … SS Tyler Wade went 1-for-5 while 1B Mike Ford went 0-for-5 … CF Mike Tauchman was 0-for-3 with a HBP.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (6-4 win over New Hampshire F/11)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Garrett Whitlock: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 8/2 GB/FB — 58 of 84 pitches (69%) were strikes … The 2017 18th-round pick hasn’t allowed more than three runs in a month.
- In Relief: RHP Domingo Acevedo: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K — Two scoreless frames in extras despite a runner starting on second.
- Hitting Stars: 2B Wendell Rijo and 1B Chris Gittens: 2-for-5, 1 2B — Rijo scored two runs and walked, Gittens knocked in two runs.
- On Deck: SS Kyle Holder: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 1 R, 1 BB
- Notables: 3B Mandy Alvarez went 2-for-4 with a double as well … C Kellin Deglan, CF Ben Ruta and RF Matt Lipka each singled.
High-A Tampa Tarpons (4-3 loss at Bradenton) … Gave up four runs in bottom of the eighth … out-hit Bradenton, 11-4.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Shawn Semple: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 9/3 GB/FB — 54 of 81 pitches (67%) were strikes … Allowed two runs and struck out nine over last 17 1/3 innings.
- In Relief: RHP J.P. Sears: 1 1/3 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP — Shifted to bullpen apparently, now has 4.93 ERA.
- Hitting Star: 1B Dermis Garcia: 1-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R, 2 K — League leading 15th homer and 49th RBI.
- On Deck: DH Isiah Gilliam: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 1 R
- Notables: LF Pablo Olivares, SS Diego Castillo and C Jason Lopez each went 2-for-4 … Castillo doubled while Olivares scored a run … CF Estevan Florial went 0-for-3 with a BB and a CS.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs: (6-2 loss at Hickory) … Look up top, there was a little brouhaha in this one
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Luis Medina: 5 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 2 HR, 2 WP, 3/1 GB/FB — 51 of 89 pitches (57%) were strikes … Medina sat 95-98 and touched 100, but lost his composure after a few hits.
- In Relief: Daniel Bies: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K — 63 K in 52 1/3 innings for the 6-for-8 Gonzaga product, who was NYY’s 7th round pick last year.
- Hitting Stars: 2B Kyle Gray and DH Frederick Cuevas: 1-for-3, 1 RBI — Gray drew a walk as well.
- On Deck: 3B/SS Max Burt: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 1 K
- On Deck 2: C Anthony Siegler: 0-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K — Picked off a runner at second.
- Injury: If you scrolled past the notes, SS Eduardo Torrealba was carted off with a knee injury
- Notables: RF Josh Stowers went 1-for-4 with a run and 2 K in his return … CF Brandon Lockridge and LF Canaan Smith each K’d once in 4 ABs … 1B Mickey Gasper went 1-for-4 with a run and 1 K.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (10-3 win at Brooklyn)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 9/2 GB/FB — 52 of 75 pitches (69%) were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Bryan Blanton: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
- Hitting Star: 1B Miguel Flames: 2-for-4, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB — Grand slam!!
- Hitting Star No.2: CF Isaiah Pasteur: 1-for-3, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 R, 2 BB, 2 K
- On Deck: DH Juan De Leon: 2-for-5, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 K
- Notables: Day off for Oswald Peraza and Everson Pereira … All of Jesus Bastidas, Ezequiel Duran, Leonardo Molina, Alex Junior and Ricky Surum had a hit and a run scored … Surum and Molina each had an RBI.
Rookie-level Pulaski Yankees: (8-6 win over Bluefield) … Was down 6-1 before scoring seven runs over the 7th-8th innings.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Randy Vazquez: 4 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 5/3 GB/FB — 50 of 84 pitches (60%) were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nevin Correa: 3 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
- Hitting Star: C Saul Torres: 2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K — His third straight season in Pulaski … also had a passed ball.
- On Deck: SS Roberto Chirinos: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 R
- Notables: CF Antonio Cabello went 1-for-4 with a run and a SB … 2B Borinquen Mendez went 1-for-3 with a run
The Gulf Coast League Yankees East team opens up on Monday while the GCL Yankees West play on Tuesday.