Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: (15-12 win vs. Buffalo) … With Syracuse winning, they still hold a one-game lead in the division with one game to go in the season. A win or a Syracuse loss clinches the division, the opposite creates a one-game playoff Tuesday..
- Rehab Start: RHP Luis Severino: 1+ IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 20 of 33 (61%) pitches were strikes … Sevy sat 94-96 mph on his FB, with sliders and changes mixed in (h/t Conor Foley) … Here’s his 1st K and here’s his 2nd … 27-pitch 1st, then gave up HR to only 2nd IP batter
- Bulk Guy: RHP Michael King: 5 IP,7 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 7 K
- In Relief: RHP Brady Lail: 2 IP, solo homer, BB, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Trevor Rosenthal: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 4 R, 3 BB, 1 HBP — First game since signing MiLB deal … control issues still there
- In Relief: RHP David Hernandez: 0.2 IP, zeros, 2 BB, 1 K
- Rehab Hitter: DH Edwin Encarnacion: 1-for-4, RBI, 2 R, HBP, GIDP — Was robbed of another single … HBP seems no worry
- Hitting Star: 3B Mandy Alvarez: 1-for-4, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- On Deck: RF Trey Amburgey: 3-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- On Deck: CF Billy Burns: 3-for-5, 2B, RBI, 3 R, 1 K
- On Deck: C Erik Kratz: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, R, K
- Notables: 1B Gosuke Katoh went 1-for-4 with a 2-run homer and a BB … SS Breyvic Valera went 2-for-4 with an RBI, R, BB and K … LF Zack Zehner and 2B Wendell Rijo each had one hit.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (3-2 loss to Reading) … The Thunder will play Reading in the ELDS starting next Wednesday.
- Starter: RHP Shawn Semple: 5.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 6 K, 5/3 GB/FB — 59 of 97 (61%) pitches were strikes … Sat in the low 90s, gutted through the outing and escaped a bases-loaded jam in the third inning.
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP — Two extra-base hits in the eighth inning got him.
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 1 K
- Hitting Star: 1B Chris Gittens: 2-for-4, R
- On Deck: C Brian Navaretto/3B Max Burt: Each had RBI single in 2nd inning for Trenton’s only runs
- On Deck: RF Alexander Palma: 1-for-3, BB — Trenton debut … That’s a milestone after recovery from broken leg.
- Notables: SS Kyle Holder and 2B Hoy Jun Park each went 0-for-3 with a BB … CF Rashad Crawford went 1-for-4 with a R and 2 K.
High-A Tampa Tarpons‘ season is over. They finished with a 64-71 record.
Single-A Charleston Riverdogs: (8-0 win over Greenville) … Tomorrow’s game is canceled by Hurricane Dorian, so they close the season at 73-66.
- Starter: RHP Roansy Contreras: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 K, 5/3 GB/FB — 59 of 89 (66%) pitches were strikes … 19-year-old ends the season with 3.33 ERA in 132.1 IP … Had 29 K, 4 BB and 4 R in last 25 innings.
- In Relief: RHP Daniel Ramos: 2 IP, 1 H, zeros, 1 K
- In Relief: RHP Carlos Espinal: 1 IP, 2 H, zeros, 3 K
- Hitting Star: DH Josh Breaux: 1-for-3, 2-run homer, BB— Closes the season with 13 HR in 51 games with an .842 OPS … Pretty great if you take away the elbow injury.
- On Deck: RF Josh Stowers: 1-for-1, 2B, 3 BB, 2 R, SB, CS
- On Deck: LF Canaan Smith: 1-for-3, 2B, 2 R, BB, K
- On Deck: 3B Welfrin Mateo: 1-for-4, 3-run homer
- Notables: 2B Eduardo Torrealba went 2-for-4 with 2 2B … 1B Eric Wagaman went 1-for-4 with a R, RBI and SB.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (5-4 loss at Brooklyn) … SI Yanks are 40-35 and are now eliminated from playoff contention ... Blew a 4-3 lead in the ninth inning.
- Starter: RHP Anderson Munoz: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 6/4 GB/FB — 60 of 83 (73%) pitches were strikes … 28 K to 7 BB in Staten Island with a 2.49 ERA.
- In Relief: RHP Jackson Bertsch: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB
- In Relief: RHP Bryan Blanton: 2.1 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Barrett Loseke: 1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 WP
- Hitting Star: SS Josh Smith: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI, R, K, SB
- On Deck: 2B Ezequiel Duran: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2 K, SB
- On Deck: DH Andres Chaparro: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, BB
- Notables: C Carlos Narvaez went 1-for-4 with a R and K … CF Jake Sanford went 0-for-4 with an RBI and a K
Rookie-Level Pulaski Yankees ALDS Game 3: (F/17: 5-4 loss vs. Burlington) … Wow … Pulaski blew a 3-run lead in the eighth inning, then both teams went scoreless until the 17th … They don’t use the “Inning starts with runner on 2nd” rule in the postseason, so this game went forever … That eliminates the P-Yanks after a strong season.
- Starter: RHP Randy Vazquez: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 5 K, HBP, WP, 10/1 GB/FB — 53 of 83 (64%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Tyler Johnson: 1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 1 BB
- In Relief: RHP Evan Voliva: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K — Got blown save after inheriting bases loaded.
- In Relief: RHP Mitch Spence: 3.1 IP, 1 H, zeros, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Kenlly Montas: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 6 K — Gave up 1B in 17th, pickoff error put him on third, then Milam allowed hit with 2 outs.
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Milam: 0.1 IP, 1 H, zeros, 1 K
- Hitting Star: 3B Chad Bell: 1-for-5, R, RBI, 2 BB, 2 K
- On Deck: RF Ryder Green: 1-for-7, 2B, R, 2 K, error
- On Deck: 2B Luis Santos: 2-for-5, RBI, K
- Notables: C Gustavo Campero went 1-for-5 with a R, BB, HBP, SB and K … DH Jake Pries went 1-for-7 with an RBI, 2 K and a CS … Pulaski went 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position.