News & Notes
- Sad news to pass along: Former Yankees MiLB catcher Chace Numata died at age 27 after suffering injuries in a skateboard accident. Numata was in the Tigers’ Minor League system. Here’s the Go Fund Me for his family’s travel and hospital expenses.
- Edwin Encarnación is heading back to New York. Hooray!
- Luis Severino would pitch Friday in ILDS Game 3 in Scranton if the RailRiders make the postseason. If not, there was reportedly an issue with the mound in Trenton that prevented him from starting there Sunday, so I’m unsure if he would divert his rehab to Trenton, go right to MLB or do something like a sim game if Scranton loses Tuesday.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: (5-3 loss to Buffalo) … With their loss and a Syracuse win, the RailRiders will host a one-game playoff for the IL North on Tuesday at 1:05 p.m.
- Starter: LHP Josh Maciejewski: 3 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 5 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GB/FB — 34 of 70 (49%) pitches were strikes … Called up from Tampa for the start … The unearned run came on an Edwin Encarnación dropped pop up
- In Relief: LHP Trevor Lane: 3 IP, solo homer, BB, 3 K
- In Relief: LHP Rex Brothers: 2 IP, zeros, 5 K, HBP, WP
- In Relief: RHP Kaleb Ort: 1 IP, zeros, 1 K
- Rehab Hitter: DH Edwin Encarnación: 0-for-4, 2 K — He’s heading up to NY, so he must feel ready, 4.5 weeks post-injury.
- Hitting Star: 3B Mandy Alvarez: 1-for-4, solo homer
- On Deck: 1B Gosuke Katoh: 2-for-4, 2B, R, K, SB
- Notables: OF Zack Zehner went 1-for-3 with 2B, BB and 2 K … SS Breyvic Valera went 1-for-4 with an RBI and SB.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (8-7 walk-off win over Reading) … The Thunder will play Reading in the ELDS starting next Wednesday … It’ll be Phillies top pitching prospect Spencer Howard facing Clarke Schmidt.
- Starter: RHP Nick Green: 3 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 3/3 GB/FB — 37 of 65 (57%) pitches were strikes … Allowed three first-inning runs.
- In Relief: RHP Albert Abreu: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K — Closes regular season with 4.28 ERA in 96.2 innings, a career-high.
- In Relief: RHP Matt Wivinis: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 1 K, HR
- In Relief: RHP Will Carter: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB
- In Relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 1 IP, solo homer, 3 K
- Hitting Star: RF Isiah Gilliam: 2-for-3, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, BB — Finishes season with 16 HR between High-A and Double-A … Also threw out a runner at the plate.
- On Deck: 1B Chris Gittens: 1-for-3, HR, RBI, 2 R, BB, K
- On Deck: RF Alexander Palma: 1-for-5, RBI — Walk-off single in just second Double-A game.
- On Deck: 3B Angel Aguilar: 2-for-4, HR, RBI, 2 R
- Notables: CF Ben Ruta went 2-for-4 with 2B, R and BB while 2B Max Burt went 2-for-4 with 2B and R.
High-A Tampa Tarpons‘ season is over. They finished with a 64-71 record.
Single-A Charleston Riverdogs‘ season finale was canceled by Hurricane Dorian, so they close the season at 73-66.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (4-1 loss at Brooklyn) … SI Yanks end the season with a 40-36 record … Robinson Cano went 0-for-3 as Brooklyn’s DH.
- Starter: RHP Alex Mejias: 3.1 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 7/1 GB/FB — 41 of 71 (58%) pitches were strikes … 3.72 ERA in 38.2 IP between Pulaski and Staten Island
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP
- In Relief: RHP Derek Craft: 1 IP, zeros, 1 K
- In Relief: RHP Zach Greene: 1 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 1 HBP
- Hitting Star: DH Chase Illig: 2-for-4, 2B, K
- On Deck: SS Josh Smith: 1-for-4, R, 3 K
- On Deck: CF Isaiah Pasteur: 1-for-3, BB, SB, K
- Notables: 3B Mitchell Robinson went 0-for-4 with an RBI and GIDP … CF Jake Sanford went 1-for-4 with a K.
Rookie-Level Pulaski Yankees were eliminated in the Appalachian League Division Series by Burlington in the 17th inning Sunday.