After some promotions yesterday, there are a few more to report today: backstop Josh Breaux and righty Jefry Valdez were bumped up to Somerset from Hudson Valley. JP Sears was promoted to the RailRiders.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
Worcester handled Scranton, 7-2 (box score). At least Luke Voit went deep in this one, his latest rehab appearance.
- Starting pitcher: LHP Matt Krook: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 1 K — 35 of 63 pitches were strikes (56%)…26 year-old lefty has struggled in Triple-A after mowing down Double-A hitters earlier this season.
- In relief: RHP Reggie McClain: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 22 of 37 pitches were strikes (59%)…Has allowed a run in four straight outings and increased his ERA from 0.55 to 1.96
- In relief: RHP Brian Keller: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K — 14 of 24 pitches were strikes (58%)
- In relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 27 of 46 pitches were strikes (59%)
- In relief: RHP Adam Warren: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K — 17 of 27 pitches were strikes (63%)
- In relief: 1B Brandon Wagner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, zeroes — Yep, a position player pitching.
- Rehab watch: 1B Luke Voit: 1-3, R, HR, RBI, K — Has four homers for the RailRiders this year
- Prospect watch: CF Estevan Florial: 0-3, BB, K — Difficulties with Triple-A pitching continue
- Leftovers: Not much going for the RailRiders at the plate tonight. C Rob Brantly tallied three hits, including a triple. Only other to record a base hit was 3B Armando Alvarez.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
A four run seventh inning helped give the Patriots the edge over the Baysox, 8-4 (box score). Luis Severino and Wandy Peralta both pitched as they inch closer to a return to the Bronx.
- Rehab watch: Starting pitcher: RHP Luis Severino: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR — 28 of 43 pitches were strikes (65%)…Top prospect Adley Rutschman took him deep…Sat 92-94, touched 95 per Eli Fishman. Severino will make at least one more rehab appearance before a return to the majors.
- Rehab watch: In relief: LHP Wandy Peralta: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K — 10 of 16 pitches were strikes (63%)…figure he’s off tomorrow and then in the Bronx Thursday
- In relief: Shawn Semple: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 9 K — 54 of 91 pitches were strikes (59%)…has 99 strikeouts in 78.2 innings between Hudson Valley and Somerset this season
- In relief: RHP Jefry Valdez: 0.2 IP, 1 K, zeroes – 8 of 11 pitches were strikes (73%)
- Hitting star: DH Dermis García: 2-4, 2 R, 3B, HR, 3 RBI, K — 20th homer of the year…and yes, he did indeed triple.
- Prospect watch: CF Brandon Lockridge: 3-4, 2 R, BB, K, SB — 9 hits in last 20 at-bats, up to .338/.383/.581 for Somerset
- Prospect watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 0-4, BB, 2 K — Has cooled off a bit…5 hits in last 22 at-bats, though he does have 3 walks and a homer in that time. Line has fallen from .290/.347/.475 to .268/.327/.438 for Somerset.
- Welcome to Double-A: C Josh Breaux: 1-4, R, K — First game at the level after hitting .252/.308/.504 with 17 homers in 280 plate appearances for Hudson Valley…He’s Rule 5 eligible this winter, and a strong impression at this level surely will land him on the 40-man roster.
- Leftovers: This was a well-rounded offensive output; everyone had a hit in this game. 3B Oswaldo Cabrera and RF Michael Beltre contributed dobules.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
Randy Vasquez dominated and received a well-balanced offensive attack in the Renegades 5-0 win over Brooklyn (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Randy Vasquez: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K — 55 of 82 pitches were strikes (67%)…Another good start for the guy almost included in the Joey Gallo trade…Has a 2.54 ERA between Tampa and Hudson Valley in 67.1 innings and 85 strikeouts…22 year-old is another Rule 5 protection candidate.
- In relief: RHP Nelson Alvarez: 1.0 IP, 2 BB, zeroes — 12 of 25 pitches were strikes (48%)
- In relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K — 13 of 25 pitches were strikes (52%)
- Prospect watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-4, R, BB, K — Hey, not every game can be a winner
- Welcome to the ‘Gades: DH Austin Wells: 1-4, 3 R, 2B, RBI, BB, K and CF Everson Pereira: 1-5, 2B, 2 K — Wells posted an .877 OPS for Tampa before this bump up…This is already Pereira’s second promotion of the year, though the start in the FCL was more of a tune-up than anything else. He obliterated opponents for the Tarpons (1.112 OPS in 72 at-bats) before this most recent level up.
- Leftovers: C Anthony Seigler, RF Jake Sanford, and 2B Oliver Dunn had two hits a piece…one of Dunn’s was a double…all nine Renegades had hits in this game.
There was a little bit of a scare earlier tonight when Randy Vasquez was hit with a broken bat. But he stayed in the game and just dominated.@HVRenegades #Yankees #MiLB #SquadUp pic.twitter.com/Rbx3RDd0vC— Robert M. Pimpsner (@RPimpsner) August 4, 2021