News & Notes
- Jordan Montgomery began a rehab assignment in Tampa today. He went two innings, pitching for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery last summer. Return to mound took over 15 months from last game.
- RHP Miguel Yajure was called up to Trenton while RHP Braden Bristo was demoted to Tampa. Yajure, 21, has a 2.26 ERA in Tampa this year with 122 K in 127.1 IP and is Rule 5 eligible after this season.
- RHP Wilser Barrios was sent back down to the GCL while LHP Deivi Diaz and RHP Carlos Gomez were called up from the GCL to Tampa.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: (6-2 loss at Lehigh Valley) … They’re up just 0.5 games on Syracuse and are three up on Buffalo and Rochester. Magic number is nine with eight days to go in the season.
- Starter: RHP Brody Koerner: 5 IP, H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 4 K,5/3 GB/FB — 63 of 97 (65%) pitches were strikes … Has allowed 5+ runs in each of last five starts.
- In Relief: LHP Tyler Lyons: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP
- Relief: RHP J.P. Feyereisen: 1.2 IP, 1 H, zeros, 2 K — Three straight scoreless outings … Could he be a shuttle reliever next year?
- Hitting Star: 1B Luke Voit: 3-for-5, RBI, K — He’s 5-for-12 with 2 BB, 2 K in 3 rehab games … Lifted for pinch-runner in the ninth inning.
- On Deck: CF Terrance Gore: 1-for-4, 3B, R, K
- On Deck: DH Ryan McBroom: 2-for-5, 3 K
- Notables: LF Clint Frazier and C Erik Kratz each went 1-for-4 with a 2B … 3B Mandy Alvarez went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (5-4 win at Portland) … 72-59, already clinched a playoff berth.
- Starter: RHP Rony Garcia: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 9 K, 1/3 GB/FB — 57 of 92 (62%) pitches were strikes … At 125.1 innings, he’s now 6.1 IP past his career high … Has tossed 10 scoreless innings over last two games.
- In Relief: RHP Will Carter: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP
- In Relief: RHPs Greg Weissert and Brooks Kriske: 2.2 IP combined, 0 R, 1 BB each, 3 K overall
- In Relief: RHP Daniel Alvarez: 1 IP, solo homer, 1 K — Picked up his 19th save of the season, most by TRE pitcher since Justin Pope in 2006.
- Hitting Star: C Kellin Deglan: 3-for-4, R, RBI
- On Deck: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 1-for-3, 2B, R, BB, SB
- On Deck: CF Rashad Crawford: 2-for-4, R, RBI
- Notables: SS Kyle Holder went 0-for-4 with a HBP to extend his on-base streak to 14 games … LF Ben Ruta went 2-for-5 with a 2B, R and RBI … 1B Chris Gittens went 1-for-3 with a R, BB and K.
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 1: (5-1 loss to Lakeland F/8)
- Starter: LHP Jordan Montgomery: 2 IP, zeros, 2 K, 6/5 GB/FB — 13 of 19 (68%) pitches were strikes … First win since his call-up to Tampa.
- In Relief: LHP Deivi Diaz: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 6 K — Spot relief from GCL … Only run scored due to his own error.
- Relief: RHP Matt Wivinis: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 4 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 WP, 1 HBP
- Hitting Star: 1B Mickey Gasper: 2-for-2, 2B, RBI, BB, HBP, SB — Hitting .338 in 21 games with Tampa
- On Deck: DH Pablo Olivares: 1-for-2, R, 2 BB, CS
- On Deck: SS Wilkerman Garcia: 1-for-3, HBP, K
- Notables: 3B Oswaldo Cabrera went 0-for-2 with 2 BB and a K … CF Estevan Florial went 0-for-4 with 1 K.
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 2: (9-5 loss to Lakeland) … Makeup of Aug. 1 rainout … At 33-32 in the second half, they’re just 2.5 GB of Lakeland for 2nd-half division title … Likely need to sweep them next weekend
- Starter: RHP Carlos Gomez: 4 IP, 4 H, 5 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 4/3 GB/FB — 40 of 76 (53%) pitches were strikes … Another call-up from GCL to Tampa for the day.
- In Relief: RHP Aaron McGarity: 0 IP, 2 H, 1 R
- In Relief: RHP Kyle Zurak: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 0 K
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 0.2 IP, zeros, 1 K
- Hitting Star: CF Pablo Olivares: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI, 2 R
- On Deck: C Mickey Gasper: 1-for-2, 2-run homer
- On Deck: SS Wilkerman Garcia: 1-for-3, 2B, R, RBI, BB
- Notables: 3B Kyle Gray went 1-for-3 with a 2B … LF Leonardo Molina went 1-for-3 with a R and 2 K
Single-A Charleston Riverdogs: (5-2 loss to Kannapolis) … At 30-32 in the second half, they trail the division by five games and are near elimination.
- Starter: RHP Harold Cortijo: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 6/3 GB/FB — 55 of 87 (63%) pitches were strikes … 18 walks in last 29 innings after just 11 in first 38.1 IP.
- In Relief: LHP Tim Hardy: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Daniel Ramos: 1 IP, 1 H, zeros, 2 K
- Hitting Star: CF Brandon Lockridge: 3-for-4, 2 2B, RBI
- On Deck: DH Josh Stowers: 2-for-4, 2B, 2 K, PO
- On Deck: LF Canaan Smith: 1-for-4, R, 2 K
- On Deck: C Josh Breaux: 0-for-2 — Back behind the plate for five innings for first time since May.
- Notables: 2B Oliver Dunn went 1-for-4 with a 2B … 1B Eric Wagaman went 1-for-4 with an RBI and 2 K.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees Game 1: (2-0 win vs. Tri-City F/7)
- Starter: LHP Alfredo Garcia: 5 IP, 2 H, zeros, 5 K, 4/3 GB/FB — 49 of 75 (66%) pitches were strikes … Has a 2.25 ERA in SI since coming over Joe Harvey deal (23 K to 6 BB) … 11 scoreless last two starts.
- In Relief: RHP Jackson Bertsche: 1 IP, 1 H, zeros, 1 K
- In Relief: RHP Justin Wilson: 1 IP, zeros, 2 K
- Hitting Star: 2B Matt Pita: 1-for-3, 2B, RBI
- On Deck: CF Jake Sanford: 1-for-4, 2 K
- On Deck: 3B Mitchell Robinson: 0-for-1, 2 BB, R, K
- Notables: SS Josh Smith went 0-for-3 with a BB and K while DH Ezequiel Duran went 0-for-4 with 3 K … C Jerry Seitz and LF Evan Alexander each went 1-for-3 with a R and RBI, respectively.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees Game 2: (6-5 walk-off loss to Tri-City F/7) … Makeup of June 16 rainout … Took lead top 7th, blow it bottom 7th … SI Yanks are 37-31 and 2 GB of Hudson Valley and 1.5 games back of Aberdeen and Brooklyn for the wild card spot.
- Starter: RHP Alex Mejias: 5 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 8/3 GB/FB — 41 of 63 (65%) pitches were strikes … Has a 3.95 ERA with SI and has 47 K in 44.1 IP and a .195 opponents batting average.
- In Relief: RHP Bryan Blanton: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB
- In Relief: RHP Aaron Craft: 0.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
- Hitting Star: CF Isaiah Pasteur: 2-for-3, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- On Deck: 2B Ezequiel Duran: 1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K
- On Deck: RF Matt Pita: 1-for-1, 2 R, 2 BB, SB
- Notables: 3B Andres Chaparro went 1-for-4 with a K.
Rookie-Level Pulaski Yankees: (3-0 win at Burlington) ... At 45-23, they have won the East Division … They’ll go on the road in Game 1 (likely at Burlington) before hosting Game 2 and, if necessary, Game 3.
- Starter: RHP Randy Vazquez: 6 IP, 3 H, zeros, 6 K, 6/3 GB/FB — 49 of 74 (66%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Tyler Johnson: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Milam: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K
- In Relief: RHP Hayden Wesneski: 0.2 IP, zeros, 1 K — Escaped bases loaded jam to get his third save of the division.
- Hitting Star: CF Madison Santos: 3-for-4, 3B, 2 RBI, 1 R
- On Deck: DH Ryder Green: 1-for-3, 2B, RBI, BB
- On Deck: 3B Chad Bell: 1-for-3, 1 K
- Notables: 1B Jake Farrell went 1-for-4 with a 2B and a R … all three runs scored in the fifth inning.
GCL Yankees East and West were off. One week to go!