News & Notes
- It didn’t take long for Estevan Florial to move up a level. He got the bump to Triple-A after nine games in Double-A. The center fielder hit .229/.308/.629 (146 wRC+) with 4 homers, a 10.3 percent walk rate, and 23.1 percent strikeout rate in 39 plate appearances for Somerset. This could simply be a precursor to a move up to the Bronx as it will get him into the COVID protocols to faster join the MLB team.
- Greg Allen left tonight’s game in Scranton after fouling a pitch off his leg. Could have been an option to join the major league roster with Aaron Hicks and Giancarlo Stanton banged up.
- Trevor Hauver won Southeast League Player of the week, because, duh.
Congrats to Trevor Hauver who was named Southeast League Player of the Week (for the week of May 4th-9th)🏆 During that week, Hauver batted .556 (10-for-18) w/ 2B, 6HR, 13RBI, 7BB and 9R in five games. pic.twitter.com/unLLP06PBH— Tampa Tarpons (@TampaTarpons) May 14, 2021
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders
Scranton improves to 8-2 with a 6-4 victory over Lehigh Valley (box score). The Railriders were down 3-0 after two, but tallied five runs in the fifth and never looked back.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Brian Keller: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 3 K, 2 WP – 32 of 66 pitches were strikes (48%)
- In relief: RHP Kyle Barraclough: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K – 16 of 31 pitches were strikes (52%)…when he’s right, he can rack up strikeouts.
- In relief: RHP Albert Abreu: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K – 18 of 37 pitches were strikes (49%)…a very typical Abreu outing.
- In relief: RHP Adam Warren: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 K – 24 of 36 pitches were strikes (67%)
- In relief: RHP Luis García: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 K – 10 of 17 pitches were strikes (59%)…picked up his third save.
- Hitting star: 3B Armando Alvarez: 1-4, HR, 2 RBI – His two-run homer started the Railriders’ comeback from down 3-0
- Patience is a virtue: LF Zack Zehner: 0-0, 4 BB, R, RBI – One of his four free passes came with the bases loaded
- Leftovers: RF Ryan LaMarre tied this game with an RBI single not long after Alvarez’s homer in the third…SS Andrew Velazquez and the aforementioned Zehner drew bases loaded walks to take and increase the lead later in the same inning...As noted at the top, CF Greg Allen departed early after fouling a pitch off his leg.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
A rough sixth inning cost the Patriots this one, falling 7-3 to New Hampshire (box score). Somerset is now 6-4.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Glen Otto: 5.1 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 0 BB, 8 K – 70 of 91 pitches were strikes (77%)…Ran out of gas in the sixth…three of his runs allowed were inherited and given up by Ridings. Not a great follow up to six shutout frames in Otto’s first star.
- In relief: RHP Stephen Ridings: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K – 11 of 17 pitches were strikes (65%)…A pitching line that exemplifies why reliever ERA is not great.
- In relief: RHP Keegan Curtis: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 K – 22 of 29 pitches were strikes (76%)
- Hitting star: 1B Dermis García: 1-2, HR, 2 RBI, BB, K – Somehow is still just 23 years-old, though don’t bet on him figuring things out at this point. Has 17 strikeouts in 47 plate appearances.
- Suporting role: DH Oswaldo Cabrera: 1-3, RBI, BB, K, CS – Has reached base in all ten games.
- Supporting role: LF Isaiah Gilliam: 1-4, R, 2B, 2 K, SB – broke an 0-for-18 skid to start the season.
- Leftovers:3B Brandon Wagner, C Donny Sands, and CF Thomas Milone all had hits.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The Renegades are back to .500. They improve to 5-5 with a 9-4 win over Aberdeen (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Luis Medina: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 1 HR – 46 of 80 pitches were strikes (58%). Retired first eight hitters he faced. Gave up a couple of runs, including a solo homer, in the fourth to end his day.
- In relief: LHP Josh Maciejewski: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K – 27 of 44 pitches were strikes (61%).
- In relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K – 16 of 25 pitches were strikes (64%).
- Hitting star: SS Oswald Peraza: 2-2, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI – Came off the bench in this one…third and fourth homers of the season tie his career high already. Both came in the first pitch of his at-bats.
- Hitting co-star: 2B Oliver Dunn: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- Leftovers: SS Ezequiel Duran moved to second base after Peraza entered…second straight game he’s started at short. He went 0-4 with a walk and a stolen base. C Josh Breaux, DH Pablo Olivares, 3B James Nelson, CF Isaiah Pasteur, and LF Frederick Cuevas all had hits…Cuevas had two.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
Like Scranton, Tampa rallied back from a 3-0 deficit to win this one, 7-4 over Lakeland (box score). The Tarpons are 7-3.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Matt Sauer: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 4 K – 41 of 75 pitches were strikes (55%). 2017 second rounder now has 10 walks in 9.2 innings this season.
- In Relief: RHP Sean Boyle: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K – 29 of 40 pitches were srikes (73%)
- In Relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K – 24 of 39 pitches were strikes (62%)
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Milan: 1.0 IP, zeroes, 2 K – 7 of 10 pitches were strikes (70%)
- Hitting star: C Austin Wells: 2-5, 2 R, 3B, 3 RBI, K – Triple in fifth gave Tarpons the lead…came in to score on a wild pitch after.
- Obligatory heck-in: 2B Trevor Hauver: 0-2, 2 BB – Replaced on defense in the 8th…went first-to-third in the top of the 7th, but played defense in the bottom half, so I’m not making much of this.
- First rounder: SS Anthony Volpe: 1-5, R, 2 RBI – Opened the scoring with an RBI single…has been on base in all but one game.
- Leftovers: RF Jake Sanford struck out three times and went hitless…3B Max Burt tallied two hits and a double…DH Carlos Narvaez and LF Elijah Dunham also picked up knocks.