News & Notes
- The Yankees signed a minor-league deal with veteran left-hander Dan Jennings. He had eight forgettable appearances with the Nationals in April/May but pitched to a 3.22 ERA over 64 1/3 innings for the Brewers last season. He’s been assigned to Staten Island.
- Tarpons 1B/DH Dermis Garcia was placed on the 7-day IL. Meanwhile, C/1B Mickey Gasper was called up to High-A Tampa after hitting .231/.347/.362 with Charleston.
- 2B Oliver Dunn and SS Oswald Peraza were called up to Single-A Charleston. The 21-year-old Dunn, this year’s 11th-round pick, hit .240/.333/.400 with Pulaski while the 19-year-old Peraza was hitting .241/.294/.354 with Staten Island.
- 2019 9th-round pick Spencer Henson was called up from Pulaski to Staten Island while 2B Matt Pita was sent from Charleston to Staten Island. Henson hit four home runs in 37 at-bats with the SI Yanks.
- 39th-round pick Jake Farrell was sent from the GCL to Pulaski after 28 at-bats with GCL Yankees East.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders are off until Thursday while the Triple-A All-Star Game is tomorrow. Me, being dumb, thought it was tonight. Nope. Wednesday. False alarm.
Double-A Trenton Thunder are also off for their All-Star Game tomorrow. Today was the Home Run Derby with just about everyone participating. There were targets and obstacles, including a guy on a perch with a big glove.
- Chris Gittens scored 100 points (yes, they went by points) while Hoy Jun Park scored 10. Ben Ruta didn’t score any. Gotta love weird quirky derbys.
High-A Tampa Tarpons were rained out and will have a doubleheader Wednesday.
Single-A Charleston Riverdogs: (9-6 win over Rome)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Harold Cortijo: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 10/2 GB/FB — 62 of 93 (67%) pitches were strikes … ERA down to 1.62.
- In Relief: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP — Has allowed 11 runs (10 ER) in 7.2 innings with Charleston.
- In Relief: RHP Jefry Valdez: 1 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 3 K
- Hitting Star: 1B Eric Wagaman: 3-for-4, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R
- On Deck: CF Brandon Lockridge: 2-for-3, 2B, 1 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 SB
- Low-A Debuts: SS Oswald Peraza went 2-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB while 2B Oliver Dunn went 1-for-4 with 1 R, 1 RBI and 3 K.
- Notables: LF Canaan Smith went 2-for-4 with 1 2B, 3 RBI and 1 R … C Anthony Siegler went 0-for-4 with 3 K and 1 SAC … DH Welfrin Mateo went 1-for-3 with 1 2B, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB and 1 K.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (5-4 loss to Connecticut)
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Abismael Villaman: 3 IP, 8 H, 5 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 3/1 GB/FB — 50 of 68 (74%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Keegan Curtis: 3.2 IP, 1 H, zeros, 6 K — One run allowed in 13 2/3 innings this year.
- In Relief: RHP Barrett Loseke: 2.1 IP, zeros, 3 K
- Hitting Star: 2B Ezequiel Duran: 2-for-5, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R — SOMETHING ABOUT HIS DINGERS
- On Deck: LF Matt Pita: 2-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 K
- Notables: DH Evan Alexander went 1-for-4 with a 2B with 1 K and 1 PO … CF Jake Sanford went 1-for-4 with 1 K … 3B Andres Chaparro went 1-for-5.
Rookie-Level Pulaski Yankees had the day off and pick back up with a three-game set against Bluefield at home Wednesday.
GCL Yankees East had their game suspended and will pick up play in the third inning on July 17. Here’s the box score. Kevin Alcantara stole a base.
GCL Yankees West: (7-3 loss to GCL Phillies East F/7)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Deurys Marte: 3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2/3 GB/FB
- In Relief: RHP Anderson Reynoso: 2.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 WP
- In Relief: RHP Nick Paciorek: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K — 2019 7th-round pick.
- Hitting Star: CF Raimfer Salinas: 2-for-4, 1 RBI
- On Deck: RF Nelson Medina: 2-for-3, 2 2B, 1 R, 1 K
- Notables: 2B Jose Colmenares went 1-for-4 with a 2B, RBI, R and K … SS Angel Rojas went 1-for-2 with 1 R, BB, K and SB.