News & Notes
- Remember, there are no games tomorrow. MiLB is doing a new schedule in 2021 that involves six straight games in a series from Tuesday-Sunday and then an off-day on Monday.
- Mike Ashmore has some insight into the training regime down in Somerset, so check that out if you’re interested.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders improved to 5-1 with a 15-10 victory over the Syracuse Mets today. It was a great day for the offense but a rough day for the pitchers, who walked 9 Mets even as they struck out 10.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Mike Montgomery: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 4 BB, 2 K – just 47% of his pitches went for strikes…rough outing overall
- In Relief: RHP Kyle Barraclough: 0.2 IP, zeros, 2 BB, 1 K – 50% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 2 K – 57% of his pitches were strikes…brutal outing for Kriske, who faced 8 batters and got just 2 outs
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 1.1 IP, zeros, 1 K – retired all 4 batters he faced…threw 53% strikes
- In Relief: LHP Trevor Lane: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K – 66% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Adam Warren: 1.1 IP, 2H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K – 57% of his pitches were strikes..he found the zone but got hit around in his second inning of work, as he through just 2 strikes in 8 pitches in the 8th
- Rehab Watch: DH Luke Voit: 2-5, 3 R, 1 2B,1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K – dominant rehab for Voit, who might return as early as Tuesday, and he was almost 3-5
- Corner Depth: 1B Chris Gittens: 1-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI
- Hitting Star: RF Trey Amburgey: 3-6, 1 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI – holy smokes, this one was crushed:
- Hitting Star: 3B Derek Deitrich: 2-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI
- Leftovers: quite a day for the offense…Socrates Brito (1), Kyle Holder (2), Rob Brantley (2), and Andrew Velazquez (2) each had hits on the day
The Patriots beat the Senators 6-5 today to improve to 5-1 on the season. I’d say they’ve earned tomorrow’s off day.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Luis Gil: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 5 K – 55% of his pitches were strikes…rough outing for Gil, who retired just 10 of the 18 he faced…still, he struck out 5 and was touching 97 on the gun…Mike Ashmore says he gave up some hard contact
- In Relief: RHP Jefry Valdez: 2.2 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 1 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes…faced 8 batters, recorded 8 outs…that’ll do
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Gadea: 2.0 IP, zeros, 2 K – 68% of his pitches were strikes…he mowed through the lineup
- In Relief: Keegan Curtis: 1.0 IP, zeros, 3 K – 75% of his pitches were strikes…needed just 12 pitches to get through the lineup
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 1-3, 1 HR, 1 BB – it was another leadoff HR for Florial, who has 4 on the season…he does have 6 strikeouts in 19 at-bats, though, which is always the thing to watch with him
- Hitting Star: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 1-2, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Leftovers: they scored 5 runs, but it was a relatively quiet day for the Patriots…Donny Sands had 2 hits…Diego Castillo and Brandon Wagner each had the other hits to round out the offense
Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades climbed back to .500 and improved to 3-3 on the season with a dominant 10-1 victory over the BlueClaws. As is always the case when he pitches, Luis Medina was the big story – he turned in another good performance today. He’s definitely my favorite prospect to follow right now.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Luis Medina: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K – 58% of his pitches were strikes as he mowed through the opposition, facing 17 batters and recording 15 outs…he has 15 K in 9 innings on the season so far
- In Relief: RHP Mitch Spence: 2.o IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 4 K – 61% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Tanner Myatt: 1.o IP, zeros, 1 K – 56% of his pitches were strikes…needed 18 pitches to get through his inning of work
- In Relief: RHP Justin Wilson: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes…Not That Justin Wilson hasn’t allowed a run so far in 2021
- Hitting Star: SS Oswald Peraza: 4-6, 2 R, 2 SB – first great game for Peraza, who is now hitting .269
- Hitting Star: 2B Ezequiel Duran: 2-5, 2 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 SB
- Catching Depth: C Josh Breaux: 1-2, 1 HR, 3 BB, 4 RBI
- Leftovers: the ‘Gades had 14 hits…aside from the above, Brandon Lockridge (1), Eric Wagaman (1), Mickey Gasper (2), Steven Sensley (1, HR), and Cristian Perez (2) all had hits…‘Gades pitchers struck out 13 BlueClaws and walked just 2
The Tarpons showed that they are indeed mortal, dropping their first game of the season 4-1 today. They are 5-1 on the season. It was the first game in which they did not absolutely explode offensively, but they still scored 78 runs in 6 games this week. They earned their off-day tomorrow, that’s for sure.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Matt Sauer: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 5 K – 60% of his pitches went for strikes…allowed two home runs…a rough second outing for the 22-year-old, who didn’t allow a run in 3.1 innings in his debut earlier this week
- In Relief: RHP Harold Cortijo: 2.1 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 3 K – 55% of his pitches were strikes…effectively wild, I guess, as he retired 7 of the 9 he faced…hit two batters and allowed and inherited runner to score
- In Relief: LHP Edgar Barclay: 2.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 4 K – 65% of his pitches went for strikes…also hit two batters
- In Relief: RHP Sean Boyle: 1.0 IP, zeros – 71% of his pitches were strikes…retired all 3 he faced
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 K
- Home Run Derby Alert: 2B Trevor Hauver: 1-4, 1 HR, 2 K – this was his 6th HR of the early season…even with a 1-4 day, he’s hitting .556, making him probably the hottest hitter in the minors right now
- Hitting Star: SS Max Burt: 2-4, 1 2B, 2 K – he’s hitting .429 on the year
- Leftovers: everyone not listed above went 1-20 with 11 K…Chad Bell had the hit