Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
SWB carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning on their way to an easy 6-0 win over Lehigh Valley (box score).
- Starting pitcher: LHP Matt Krook: 5.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 6 K — 45 of 76 pitches were strikes (59%)
- In relief: RHP Reggie McClain: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K — 16 of 29 pitches were strikes (55%)
- In relief: RHP Brody Koerner: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K — 22 of 31 pitches were strikes (71%)…The Yankees just outrighted him off the 40-man roster this week.
- In relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.0 IP, 1 H, zeroes
- Prospect watch: CF Estevan Florial: 0-3, R, 2 BB, 2 K — Just hasn’t been his season…He’s at .209/.307/.407 between Double-A and Triple-A. August has been particularly rough: .167/.262/.241 with 24 strikeouts in 54 at-bats.
- Prospect watch: DH Donny Sands: 1-5 — Rob Brantly caught, so Sands DH’d. 25 year-old backstop has a .794 OPS in the minors this year and seems fairly likely to be a 40-man addition as a third catcher this offseason.
- Leftovers: LF Greg Allen and 1B Brandon Wagner went deep…3B Armando Alvarez and RF Socrates Brito had two hits including a double each.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
Luis Medina dazzled in Somerset’s 7-3 win over Akron (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Luis Medina: 5.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 12 K, 1 HR — 60 of 90 pitches were strikes (67%)…A few too many walks, but this is much more like it. Medina had struck out just 10 batters in his last 16 innings (four starts). Had a no-hitter going until the fifth.
- In relief: RHP Jefry Valdez: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K — 19 of 35 pitches were strikes (54%)…Stranded two inherited runners from Medina in the sixth, nice work.
- In relief: RHP Addison Russ: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 11 of 15 pitches were strikes (73%)
- Prospect watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 1-4, 2 K, SB — Broke an 0-for-12 slide
- Prospect watch: 3B Oswaldo Cabrera: 1-4, R, HR, RBI, 2 K — 17th home run of the season…Power is there (.219 ISO), but his OBP (.305) leaves a bit to be desired. Reportedly has some of the best exit velos in the org, but it seems like he’ll be passed over for 40-man roster protection again this offseason.
- Prospect watch: C Josh Breaux: 2-4, 2 R, 2B — Hitting .286/.303/.556 in 66 plate appearances since the call-up from Hudson Valley. Pretty likely that the 2nd rounder from the 2018 draft will be added to the 40-man this winter, as he’ll be Rule 5 eligible.
- Leftovers: 1B Dermis García and RF Isiah Gilliam hit home runs…DH Mickey Gasper tallied two hits, including a double, and a stolen base.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
Winston-Salem bombarded Hudson Valley with a four-run sixth and three-run seventh to win this one, 11-4 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Matt Sauer: 5.2 IP, 10 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 61 of 82 pitches were strikes (74%)…That’ll do damage to the ol’ ERA. Went from 3.71 with HV entering this start to 5.96 after.
- In relief: RHP Nelson L Alvarez: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K — 13 of 26 pitches were strikes (50%)…Inherited one of Sauer’s runners, which came around to score.
- In relief: RHP Trevor Hollway: 1.2 IP, zeroes — 10 of 14 pitches were strikes (71%)
- Prospect watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 1-4, R, 2 K — Having a “down” August in which he’s hitting .275/.414/.536…lol. Season line, combined with time in Tampa, stands at .302/.438/.605.
- Prospect watch: C Austin Wells: 0-4, K — Has just 1 hit in last 26 at-bats, including 15 strikes…eek.
- Leftovers: LF Jake Sanford was hitless, but had a RBI groundout…3B Andres Chaparro had two singles and a walk…1B Eric Wagaman and 2B Luis Santos notched the only other hits for the ‘Gades, both singles.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons nearly coughed up an early 4-0 lead, but four runs in the eighth and another in the ninth sealed a 9-4 victory over Clearwater (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Nicio Rodriguez: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K — 47 of 79 pitches were strikes (59%)…Averaged 95 MPH with his fastball/sinker…He was FanGraphs’ 26th-best Yankees prospect entering this season.
- In relief: LHP Ben Keizer: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K — 23 of 54 pitches were strikes (43%)
- In relief: RHP Carson Coleman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K — 13 of 20 pitches were strikes (65%)
- First round watch: SS Trey Sweeney: 1-3, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB, SB — 102.5 MPH exit velo on the home run…8-for-19 with a double, two triples, and a homer in current five-game hitting streak.
- The Martian: CF Jasson Dominguez: 1-3, R, 2 BB, 2 K, 2 SB, 1 CS — Beat out an infield hit…Has a five-game hitting streak in which he’s 7-for-18.
- Prospect watch: C Antonio Gomez: 1-5, R, HR, 2 RBI — First dinger and hit in Tampa…This is his second game since the promotion from the complex league…Homer left bat at 105.5 MPH.
- Leftovers: Everyone except 3B Benjamin Cowles had a hit in this game…2B Cooper Bowman doubled and went down on strikes twice…LF Ryder Green singled and struck out twice and stole a base…1B Anthony García homered.
The Complex League Yanks split a double-header with the Blue Jays (game 1, game 2). Only MLB Pipeline Top 30 Prospect to play was SS Alexander Vargas, who went 1-for-4 with a run scored in the first game. He sat the second.