Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
Yesterday’s game against Rochester was rained out. They’ll play a doubleheader starting at 5:05pm today.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots topped the Yard Goats 1-0 behind a brilliant seven innings from Luis Medina and good work from the bullpen (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Luis Medina: 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 WP — 64 of 92 pitches were strikes (70%) — Three of his five strikeouts came in the first two innings. Didn’t have the swing-and-miss going like his last two outings (22 strikeouts in 10 innings), but it didn’t matter.
- In relief: RHP Addison Russ: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K — 11 of 12 pitches were strikes (92%)
- In relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K — 13 of 21 pitches were strikes (62%)
- Prospect watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 1-3, RBI, BB, K — His single in the third drove in the lone run of the game.
- Prospect watch: CF Brandon Lockridge: 1-3, BB, K, SB — He’s swiped 9 bags in 10 attempts from Somerset…Was 5-for-6 with Hudson Valley.
- Prospect watch: 2B Oswaldo Cabrera: 1-3, 2B, BB, K, CS — He’s an extra base machine…needs just one more to reach 50 on the season.
- Leftovers: As a 1-0 final score indicates, there wasn’t much offense to go around. The only others to reach base were LF Michael Beltre (two walks), 1B Dermis García (hit by pitch), and RF Thomas Milone (single).
Oswald Peraza breaks the 🧊! pic.twitter.com/SNOpKCHyWP— Somerset Patriots (@SOMPatriots) September 8, 2021
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
- Starting pitcher: RHP Mitch Spence: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K, 1 HR — 62 of 93 pitches were strikes (67%)
- In relief: RHP Freicer Perez: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K — 12 of 25 pitches were strikes (48%)
- Prospect watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 2-3, 2 2B, K, CS — Starting to heat up again…more to come in Game 2.
- Prospect watch: DH Austin Wells: 2-3, SB — He’s on a tear. Hitting .516/.595/.871 in his last 37 plate appearances. Putting the ball in play much more too, with 9 strikeouts in that span (24%). He had been pushing a 40% K-rate for much of August.
- Leftovers: Offense just couldn’t get going in this one…CF Everson Pereira and LF Elijah Dunham combined to go 0-for-7 with a walk (Dunham) in the two and four holes…1B Andres Chaparro and 2B Eduardo Torrealba had the only other hits, with Torrealba tallying two. OF Jake Sanford didn’t play.
- Starting pitcher: LHP Edgar Barclay: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HR — 35 of 55 pitches were strikes (64%)
- In relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 27 of 47 pitches were strikes (57%)
- In relief: RHP Nelson L Alvarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K — 25 of 47 pitches were strikes (53%)
- Prospect watch: DH Anthony Volpe: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI, K — Since the back-to-back 0-for-5 games on the 3rd and 4th of the month, Volpe has four doubles and two homers. Last night’s homer was his 25th this year, 13 coming with Hudson Valley.
- Prospect watch: RF Jake Sanford: 2-4, R, HR, 4 RBI — Homered in two of his last three games…He can get into power surges like this. He homered four games in a row back in July and has done back-to-back or two-of-three stretches this season too.
- Leftovers: CF Pat DeMarco and LF Frederick Cuevas went deep…Wells, Pereira, and Dunham got the nightcap off. Only bats not to record hits were 3B Andres Chaparro and 1B Eric Wagaman.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
Dunedin plated five runs in the ninth to defeat Tampa, 11-8 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Juan Carela: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K — 48 of 77 pitches were strikes (62%)…19 year-old doesn’t throw hard but has high-spin breaking balls (curveball: 2657 RPM and slider: 2769 RPM). Picked up 6 whiffs on 7 swings against the slider yesterday.
- In relief: RHP Carlos Gomez: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR — 34 of 53 pitches were strikes (64%) — Another big spin guy (2935 RPM on his curveball) but doesn’t seem to have much else.
- In relief: RHP Carson Coleman: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB 0 K — 21 of 31 pitches were strikes (68%)
- In relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K — 3 of 8 pitches were strikes (38%)
- First rounder: SS Trey Sweeney: 4-5, 2 R, 2B, 3B, K, SB — I think it’s safe to say that he’s too good for this level now, although there may not be much reason to bump him up with so little of the season left. Has a .270/.381/.596 (156 wRC+) with Tampa, but keep in mind that he got off to a rough start at the level. He’s got a .320/.427/.707 (193 wRC+) in his last 20 games.
- The Martian: CF Jasson Dominguez: 0-3, BB, 2 K, SB — On-base streak is up to 19 games, during which he’s at .292/.386/.458 (133 wRC+) and a 26.5% strikeout rate.
- Prospect watch: C Antonio Gomez: 1-4, R, BB, 3 K, SB — Since starting 1-for-17 with Tampa, the backstop has a .360/.467/.560 (180 wRC+) in his last 30 plate appearances
- Prospect watch: LF Ryder Green: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, 2 K — Struck out multiple times in 12 of his last 14 games (48.3%)…He’s always had a high strikeout rate but this is a lot.
- Leftovers: 2B Cooper Bowman went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts…3B Roberto Chirinos picked up two hits and 4 RBIS…Everyone else went hitless.
The FCL Yanks played two against the FCL Phillies. They topped Philly 9-8 in the first game (box score) and lost game two 9-3 (box score). SS Alexander Vargas went 1-for-4 with a walk and strikeout in the two games combined. The two DSL Yankees faced off against each other, with Yankees2 winning 9-1 (box score).