News & Notes
- Alright, a whole bunch of roster moves the last few days, so here’s where each player went up to and then I’ll give a bit of analysis below:
- Scranton: RHP Adonis Rosa, C Francisco Arcia
- Trenton: RHPs Shawn Semple, Greg Weissert, Janson Junk
- Tampa: RHPs Bryan Blanton, Alexander Vizcaino, Luis Gil, Jefry Valdez
- Charleston: RHPs Keegan Curtis, Yoendrys Gomez; Missed this a few days ago, but C Anthony Seigler went on the 7-day IL
- Staten Island: RHP Michael King, C Chase Illig, 1B Nelson B. Alvarez, SS Josh Smith
- Pulaski: 3B Deivi Munoz to 60-day IL, RHP Kenlly Montas, 3B Jose Martinez
- The big moves to note: Luis Gil and Alexander Vizcaino earned call-ups after impressive seasons in Charleston and will now get the challenge of High-A. Gil was particularly good with a 2.39 ERA and 112 K and 39 BB in 83 innings. Gil will start Friday and Vizcaino on Saturday.
- Michael King is moving forward in his rehab. Josh Smith finally debuts after signing as the 2019 2nd-round pick. Yoendrys Gomez had a 2.12 ERA in 29.2 IP as a 19-year-old in the Appy League.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: (10-6 win at Columbus) … The only player not to get a hit was Terrance Gore, who walked thrice..
- Starter: RHP Adonis Rosa: 5 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 2/6 GB/FB — 54 of 86 pitches (64%) were strikes … Weirdly has a 3.78 ERA in Triple-A and a 4.60 ERA with a higher walk rate in Double-A.
- In Relief: RHP Will Carter: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR
- In Relief: RHP David Sosebee: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- Hitting Star: 3B Wendell Rijo: 2-for-5, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Rehab outing: DH Cameron Maybin: 2-for-6, 2B, 1 RBI, 2 K
- On Deck: SS Thairo Estrada: 2-for-6, 2 R, 1 K
- Notables: 2B Tyler Wade went 3-for-5 with a 2B, 2 R, BB, SB and 1 K … 1B Ryan McBroom went 2-for-3 with a 2B, RBI and R before 1B Mike Ford took over and hit a two-run homer in 3 AB … RF Trey Amburgey hit a solo homer and walked.
Double-A Trenton Thunder Game 1: (9-8 walk-off loss to Erie F/7)
- Starter: RHP Nick Green: 3 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 4 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 5/1 GB/FB — 34 of 66 pitches (52%) were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 1 K
- In Relief: RHP Daniel Alvarez: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 4 K
- Hitting Star: SS Hoy Jun Park: 4-for-4, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB — Leadoff shot … Second homer in a three-day span.
- On Deck: 2B Gosuke Katoh: 4-for-4, 2 2B, 1 RBI, 2 R
- On Deck: DH Brandon Wagner: 3-for-3, 1 RBI, 2 R, 1 BB
- Notables: 1B Chris Gittens went 2-for-5 with a 2B, RBI and R … 3B Mandy Alvarez and CF Rashad Crawford went 1-for-3 with a BB.
Double-A Trenton Thunder Game 2: (5-1 loss at Akron F/7) … Makeup of June 10 postponement.
- Starter: RHP Janson Junk: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 5 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 3/2 GB/FB — 58 of 98 pitches (59%) were strikes … Double-A debut … The 2017 22nd round pick had a 4.54 ERA in High-A.
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR
- Hitting Star: 3B Mandy Alvarez: 2-for-4, 1 K
- On Deck: SS Kyle Holder and LF Ben Ruta: 1-for-3, 2B, 1 BB — Ruta scored a run.
- Notables: 2B Gosuke Katoh went 2-for-3 with 1 K … DH Chris Gittens went 1-for-4 with an RBI and 2 K … RF Isiah Gilliam went 0-for-1 with 2 BB and 1 K.
High-A Tampa Tarpons were rained out and will have a doubleheader Friday.
Single-A Charleston Riverdogs: (4-3 win at Lakewood)
- Starter: RHP Roansy Contreras: 6 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 7 K, 3/3 GB/FB — 64 of 94 pitches (68%) were strikes … Third quality start in last four outings … ERA down to 4.25.
- In Relief: LHP Tim Hardy: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- In Relief: RHP Keegan Curtis: 0.2 IP, zeros, 1 K — Low-A debut for 2018 22nd-round pick.
- Hitting Star: 1B Eric Wagaman: 1-for-3, 2B, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB
- On Deck: 3B Oliver Dunn: 1-for-3, RBI, R, BB, SB, CS
- On Deck: CF Brandon Lockridge and SS Oswald Peraza: 1-for-4, SB — Lockridge knocked in a run and Peraza scored one.
- Notables: RF Josh Stowers went 1-for-3 with an RBI, BB and SB … DH Canaan Smith went 1-for-4 with 1 R and 1 K.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (8-1 win at Connecticut)
- Starter: RHP Michael King: 4 IP, 4 H, zeros, 5/2 GB/FB — 38 of 56 pitches (68%) were strikes … The righty is moving up in his rehab and is now nearing full-start territory in both pitch count and innings.
- In Relief: LHP Jake Agnos: 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K — 15 K, 4 BB in 12 IP for this year’s 4th-round pick.
- In Relief: RHP Derek Craft: 2 IP, zeros, 3 K
- Hitting Star: 1B Nelson B. Alvarez: 2-for-4, HR, 3 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB — Strong Staten Island debut after 18 games with Pulaski.
- On Deck: DH Jake Sanford: 1-for-5, solo homer, 2 K, 1 CS — 1st homer for the 3rd round pick, who has a .692 OPS in 26 games.
- Pro Debut: SS Josh Smith: 2-for-2, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 1 CS, 1 error — The 2nd-round pick out of LSU signed later and didn’t miss a beat in debut.
- Notables: 2B Ezequiel Duran went 1-for-6 with a 3B, RBI, R and 2 K … RF Jose De Leon went 3-for-5 with a 2B, R, CS and 2 K … C Carlos Narvaez went 1-for-5 with 1 2B and R.
Rookie-Level Pulaski Yankees: (7-2 loss at Bluefield)
- Starter: RHP Leonardo Pestana: 1.1 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 2 HBP, 1/0 GB/FB — 24 of 35 pitches (69%) were strikes … 11.00 ERA.
- In Relief: RHP Sean Boyle: 3.2 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Elvis Peguero: 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- Hitting Star: 3B Chad Bell: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 K — .886 OPS with 7 HR in 31 games for the 2018 3rd-round pick.
- On Deck: LF Ryder Green: 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- First-round: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-for-2, 1 BB, 1 K — Came off the bench for Roberto Chirinos.
- Notables: DH Antonio Cabello went 1-for-4 with 1 R, 1 BB and 1 K … CF Madison Santos went 2-for-4 with 1 BB.
GCL Yankees East and West were each rained out and will have their respective makeup games on Aug. 2.