News and Notes
- 5th round pick Tyler Hardman signed a contract with the Yankees today. (Conor Foley)
- Also, in a programming note, sorry for missing this yesterday. Work got in the way, and it did again this morning, when I hoped to pick up the slack. My bad.
Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders improved to 40-21 on the season after destroying the WooSox 11-3. It was a dominant performance from the get-go, as Scranton led 7-0 after 3. It’ll work.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Matt Krook: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 8 K – 64% of his pitches went for strikes…both runs followed an Armando Alvarez error in the 4th…Krook is excelling at Triple-A, too, holding batters to a .127 BAA after a .147 BAA in Somerset…18 whiffs tonight
- RHP Asher Wojciechowski: 4.0 IP, 4 H, R, 7 K – 72% of his pitches were strikes
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 1-5, RBI, 4 K – believe that’s his first 4-K game in Triple-A…he’s hitting .207 /.316/.372 in 190 PA with 57 K
- Hard Hittin’: 1B Chris Gittens: 1-2, 2B, RBI, BB
- Power Watch: RF Ryan LaMarre: 1-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Multi-Hit Watch: LF Greg Allen: 2-4, 2 R, 2 2B, RBI, BB
- Multi-Hit Watch: SS Andrew Velazquez: 2-5, R, 3B, 2 RBI
- Leftovers: Socrates Brito and Kyle Holder had the other hits
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots improved to 40-22 after a nice come-from-behind 6-5 victory over the Flying Squirrels on Thursday. They didn’t take their first lead until the 10th, and they scored 4 of the 6 runs after the 8th inning. Diego Castillo and Donny Sands drove in the runs in the 10th.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP JP Sears: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 5 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Michael Gomez: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, K – 62% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Addison Russ: 3.0 IP, H, R, 3 K – 80% of his pitches were strikes…earned his first Double-A win of 2021
- Middle Infield Rising: 3B Diego Castillo: 1-5, R, RBI, 2 K
- Middle Infield Rising: SS Oswald Peraza: 2-4, 2 R, 3B, RBI, BB – the 21-year-0ld SS is hitting .292/.357/.469 in 143 PA with Somerset and .299/.386/.532 overall in 259 PA
- Hitting Star: DH Donny Sands: 2-5, 2 RBI
- Multi-Hit Watch: LF Isiah Gilliam: 2-4, 2 R, 2 2B – also made a nice defensive play…nice day for him
- Leftovers: Jason Lopez had the other hit…Matt Pita pinch-hit and stole a base
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades Game 1
The Renegades dropped game 1, falling 3-2 o the Blue Rocks. They’re 40-21 on the season after that one. They had 9 hits but fell anyway. Baseball is a tough sport sometimes.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Jhony Brito: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K – 65% of his pitches were strikes…tough luck loss, his 4th…the ‘Gades made two errors, both throwing errors by 3B James Nelson
- Rising Stock: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-4, K – hey, it happens
- Hitting Star: CF Pablo Oliveras: 3-3, RBI – nice day
- Leftovers: quiet day…Kyle MacDonald and Frederick Vuevas both had doubles, with the latter adding an RBI…Ezequiel Duran and Josh Breaux had the other hits
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades Game 2
The ‘Gades also dropped game 2, falling 2-1 to the Blue Rocks. They’re now 40-22 on the season. They had just two hits. Not a banner day for the ‘Gades, but whatever. It happens.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Barrett Loseke: 2.1 IP, 3 H, R, BB, 3 K – 65% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: RHP Sean Boyle: 3.2 IP, 4 H, R (0 ER), 4 K– 71% of his pitches went for strikes…took the loss, his first, despite still not giving up an earned run in 7+ innings w/ HV this season
- Hitting Star: 3B Chad Bell: 1-2, HR, BB, K – nothing else to write home about
- Leftovers: Oliver Dunn had the only other hit…everyone else was hitless, including Ezequiel Duran and Anthony Seigler
Low-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons won again, improving to 43-19 after dispatching the Flying Tigers 8-1 on Thursday. They’re just so, so good. They lost Volpe to Hudson Valley and now they have Jasson. No stopping the Tarpons this year.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Beck Way: 3.0 IP, H, R, 4 BB, 4 K – 52% of his pitches were strikes…last year’s 4th rounder has a 3.86 ERA
- In Relief: LHP Edgar Barclay: 4.0 IP, zeros, 7 K– 69% of his pitches were strikes…earned the win…dominant performance, recording 12 outs on 11 batters faced
- In Relief: RHP Nick Paciorek: 2.0 IP, H, BB, 5 K– 64% of his pitches were strikes
- Extra-Terrestrial Being: CF Jasson Dominguez: 2-5, 2 R, 3B, K – how can you not love this guy…maybe he was just bored by the FCL, lol
- First Round Watch: DH Austin Wells: 1-3, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB, K – 2020’s first rounder is now hitting .281/.416/.505 on the season
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 2-5, R, 2 2B, RBI – ho hum
- Multi-Hit Watch: RF Juan de Leon: 2-3, R, 2B, K
- Power Watch: 3B Eduardo Torrealba: 1-3, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- Leftovers: Carlos Narvaez had a hit…so did Eric Wagaman and Jesus Bastidas
Florida Gulf Coast League Yankees
The FCL Yankees are 8-3 after today’s 9-6 victory over the Tigers East. The Yanks won despite being outhit 13 to 7, but they did have 5 more walks than the Tigers. They were down 6-1 after 4, but came back to score 8 in the final 4 frames. Not bad.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Blane Abeyta: 2.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R (4 ER), 4 K
- In Relief: RHP Yon Castro: 2.0 IP, 4 H, R, BB, K
- In Relief: LHP Ben Keizer: 2.2 IP, 2 H, zeros, 2 BB, 2 K – earned his 2nd win
- In Relief: RHP Jarod Lessar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 K – earned his 2nd save
- Middle Infield Rising: DH Alexander Vargas: 3-5, R, 2B, 4 RBI – nice day for Vargas, who is now up to .333/.436/.394 on the season in 39 PA
- Hitting Star: LF Madison Santos: 1-2, 2 R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB, SB
- Leftovers: Anthony Garcia had a hit, an RBI, and a walk…Angel Rojas and Jake Pries had a hit each, with Pries logging a double
Dominican Summer League Yankees 1
The DSL Yankees 1 are 2-1 after today’s 5-4 victory. Check out the box score here.
Dominican Summer League Yankees 2
The DSL Yankees 2 are 2-1 after taking their first loss of the season today 4-1. See the box score here.