- Stanton is slated to play 7-9 innings Saturday, play against Sunday and then join the Yankees in the Bronx. Judge will be with Scranton-WB for longer.
- Forgot to mention this: The Yankees traded Brad Miller to the Phillies, who then added Miller to their active roster. The Bombers have a lot of infield depth in the Majors and Triple-A, so Miller was expendable. They got cash considerations in return.
- With New York-Penn League starting today, there were previews of the league coming out on Baseball America (subs req) and MiLB.com. Both sites highlighted 18-year-old center fielder Everson Pereira. Here’s MiLB.com’s Sam Dykstra on Pereira:
- “The center fielder’s hit, run, arm and fielding tools all have the chance to be above average to plus. By the time he’s playing at an age-appropriate level, he could be a five-tool player.”
- Josh Norris of BA also added his take on SS Oswald Peraza, who has apparently impressed in extended spring training.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: (16-3 loss at Durham) … Two Bulls were a hit from the cycle.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Daniel Camarena: 2 1/3 IP, 11 H, 12 R, 10 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 2 HR, 3/3 GB/FB — 44 of his 62 pitches (71%) were strikes … Just a big yikes.
- In Relief: RHP Danny Farquhar: 1 1/3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HR — 21.00 ERA through two games.
- Hitting Star: RF Giancarlo Stanton: 1-for-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R, 2 K — See above: That ball was crushed … He was lifted after seven innings by design.
- On Deck: DH Aaron Judge: 0-for-4, 3 K — Still getting that timing back.
- Other Notables: 2B Breyvic Valera went 2-for-4, as did … SS Tyler Wade had a hit in four ABs … 1B Mike Ford and C Kyle Higashioka each went 0-for-4
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (3-0 loss at Bowie) … Tied with Reading for division lead … Hartford just 0.5 game back.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Nelson: 5 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 4/3 GB/FB — 54 of his 89 pitches (61%) were strikes … He’s having a strong season five starts in.
- In Relief: RHP Brady Lail: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K — Back from Triple-A.
- Hitting Star: C Kellin Deglan: 1-for-3, 1 K — Had the only hit for the Thunder.
- On Deck: CF Rashad Crawford: 0-for-1, 2 BB, 1 K
- Other Notables: SS Kyle Holder, 2B Hoy Jun Park and 1B Chris Gittens each drew a walk.
High-A Tampa Tarpons is off for the Florida State League All-Star Game, which is Saturday. Six Tarpons players made the ASG. Dermis Garcia will take part in the FSL Home Run Derby.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs: (7-6 loss to Greenville F/10) … Crushing loss with two days left in first half … Need to win last two and have Augusta lose once.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Roansy Contreras: 4 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GB/FB — 49 of his 87 pitches (56%) were strikes … The six innings were a season-high … Obviously his best outing of the year, but this brought his ERA to 7.43.
- In Relief: RHP Jhony Brito: 5 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K — Couldn’t hold 6-5 lead in final inning of work.
- In Relief: RHP Aaron McGarity: 1 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K — Runner starting on second in 10th scored on sac bunt, sac fly.
- Hitting Star: CF Brandon Lockridge: 2-for-6, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R, 2 K — 10th homer put Charleston ahead going into ninth inning.
- On Deck: DH Anthony Siegler: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 2 R, 1 BB, 2 K — Five hits and three walks in his last 14 PAs.
- Other Notables: LF Canaan Smith went 0-for-4 with a walk and a run … 3B Max Burt went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI, 1 R and a HBP … 1B Mickey Gasper drew three walks in 5 PAs.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (5-4 loss at Brooklyn) … In the tradition of Mike Axisa, I give you the full lineup on Opening Day.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 6/1 GB/FB — 54 of his 78 pitches (69%) were strikes … The 2018 33rd-round pick threw 9 2/3 innings in the GCL last year.
- In Relief: RHP Austin Gardner: 1 1/3 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- RHP Keegan Curtis: 1 2/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- SS Oswald Peraza: 1-for-4, 1 BB, 1 SB
- 2B Ezequiel Duran: 1-for-4, 1 BB, 2 K
- CF Everson Pereira: 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 BB — Turned 18 in April. He was born in 2001. This is your daily reminder of your own mortality.
- 1B Mitchell Robinson: 0-for-5, 3 K — Not the Knicks’ center.
- RF Leonardo Molina: 0-for-4, 1 R, 2 K
- C Carlos Narvaez: 0-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K — Caught a runner stealing.
- LF Isiah Pasteur: 2-for-3, 2 2B, 2 R, 1 HBP
- DH Evan Alexander: 0-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K — Alexander and Surum stranded tying run in eighth.
- 3B Ricky Surum: 0-for-3, 1 RBI, 2 K — Sac fly in sixth inning.
The Rookie-level Pulaski Yankees begin play on Tuesday in Johnson City.
The Gulf Coast League Yankees East team opens up on Monday, June 24 while the GCL Yankees West play on Tuesday, June 25.