News & Notes
- Chris Gittens was named Eastern League MVP. The 1B/DH had a .279/.392/.497 (162 wRC+) line going into today’s action with 22 home runs and 75 RBI. He was fifth in the EL in batting average and first in homers, RBI and wRC+. Congratulations to him.
- The Yankees re-signed RHP Domingo Acevedo to a Minor League deal and placed him back on the 7-day IL in Scranton. He was DFA’d last week.
- Yesterday, C Jason Lopez was placed on the 7-day IL in Tampa while C Hemmanuel Rosario was called up from the GCL Yankees to Tampa.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1: (9-5 walk-off loss at Pawtucket F/8) … Back-and-forth game ends with a grand slam off Chance Adams.
- Starter RHP Adonis Rosa: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GB/FB — 45 of 70 (64%) pitches were strikes … ERA now at 3.62 … With Sept. callups coming, he could be at risk of losing his 40-man spot.
- In Relief: LHP Joe Mantiply: 1.1 IP, two solo homers, 0 BB, 1 K
- In Relief: RHP David Hernandez: 1.1 IP, zeros, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Chance Adams: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 4 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 2 HBP — He’s either a likely call-up or a DFA candidate, just like Rosa.
- Hitting Star: LF Clint Frazier: 1-for-3, 2-run homer, BB
- On Deck: DH Wendell Rijo: 2-for-4, HR, RBI, 2 R
- On Deck: C Erik Kratz: 1-for-2, sac fly, HBP
- Notables: RF Trey Amburgey went 1-for-3 with an RBI, HBP and K … SS Breyvic Valera went 1-for-4 with a R … CF Terrance Gore went 0-for-4 with a R and K.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 2: (8-4 win at Pawtucket F/10) … Makeup of yesterday’s rainout … Winning run scored unearned AND on a wild pitch … They are now tied with Syracuse with four games to go in the season.
- Starter: RHP Brian Keller: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 2/4 GB/FB — 64 of 93 (69%) pitches were strikes … Has a 6.91 ERA in five starts with Scranton, weighed down by an 11-run outing.
- In Relief: LHP Rex Brothers: 0.1 IP, zeros, 2 BB
- In Relief: RHP Ryan Dull: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K
- In Relief: RHP J.P. Feyereisen: 2 IP, 1 H, zeros, 5 K
- Hitting Star: DH Ryan McBroom: 2-for-3, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB
- On Deck: LF Clint Frazier: 2-for-5, 2B, 3 R, 2 K
- On Deck: RF Trey Amburgey: 1-for-4, BB, R, RBI
- Notables: 3B Mandy Alvarez went 2-for-5 with a 2B, 2 RBI and R … C Kyle Higashioka went 0-for-3 with 2 BB and a R … 1B Gosuke Katoh went 1-for-5 with an RBI single and 4 K.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (8-2 loss at New Hampshire) … The Thunder will play Reading in the ELDS starting next Wednesday.
- Starter: RHP Nick Green: 3 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/3 GB/FB — 28 of 51 (55%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Albert Abreu: 3 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP — Fourth appearance off the IL, first in relief.
- In Relief: LHP Trevor Lane: 2 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 5 K
- Hitting Star: LF Ben Ruta: 2-for-3, 2-run homer, BB, K
- On Deck: DH Brandon Wagner: 1-for-2, R, HBP
- On Deck: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 1-for-4, 2 K
- Notables: SS Kyle Holder and 1B Chris Gittens each went 0-for-4 with Holder striking out once and Gittens thrice … 3B Max Burt went 1-for-3.
High-A Tampa Tarpons: (7-1 win at Jupiter) … They’re 2.5 games back of Dunedin with an elimination number of one.
- Starter: RHP Glenn Otto: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 4/2 GB/FB — 51 of 79 (65%) pitches were strikes … Fifth game with seven Ks this year … this is likely his last game until Arizona Fall League play.
- In Relief: RHP Aaron McGarity: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- In Relief: RHPs Kyle Zurak and Braden Bristo: Each 1 IP, 0 R, 2 K
- Hitting Star: CF Estevan Florial: 3-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R, 2 K
- On Deck: 3B Wilkerman Garcia: 3-for-5, 2 R, K, SB
- On Deck: 2B Kyle Gray: 2-for-3, 2B, R, BB
- Notables: DH Alexander Palma went 2-for-5 with an RBI … 1B Mickey Gasper went 1-for-4 with 2B and RBI … LF Leonardo Molina went 1-for-4 with a R.
Single-A Charleston Riverdogs: (10-6 win at Asheville) … Everyone in the lineup had a hit … At 33-33 in the second half, they trail Augusta in the division by four games. Their elimination number is one.
- Starter: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 7 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 0 BB, 6 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP, 10/3 GB/FB — 58 of 91 (64%) pitches were strikes … Longest professional outing for last year’s 33rd round pick.
- In Relief: LHP Tim Hardy: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
- Hitting Star: SS Oswald Peraza: 4-for-5, 2B, 2 R, BB, SB
- On Deck: 2B Eduardo Torrealba: 3-for-5, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 3 R
- On Deck: DH Canaan Smith: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB, 2 K
- On Deck: C Josh Breaux: 1-for-6, 2-run homer
- Notables: CF Brandon Lockridge went 2-for-5 with a BB, R, SB and 2 K … RF Josh Stowers went 1-for-4 with a BB and his 33rd stolen base of the year … 3B Welfrin Mateo went 1-for-3 with 2 R, 2 BB and a K.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (6-5 loss to Hudson Valley) … SI Yanks are 39-33 and 2.5 GB of Hudson Valley for the division and 1.5 back of Brooklyn/Aberdeen for a wild card spot.
- Starter: RHP Nelvin Correa: 3.1 IP, 9 H, 6 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 1/4 GB/FB — 47 of 76 (62%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Bryan Blanton: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K
- In Relief: RHP Aaron Craft: 3 IP, 1 H, zeros, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Zach Greene: 1 IP, zeros, 2 K
- Hitting Star: RF/CF Jake Sanford: 2-for-4, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, 1 K
- On Deck: C Carlos Narvaez: 1-for-4, 2B, R
- On Deck: SS David Metzgar: 2-for-4, R, K
- Notables: 2B Ezequiel Duran went 0-for-4 with a R and K … DH Josh Smith went 0-for-3 with a BB … 3B Andres Chaparro went 1-for-4 with a K
Rookie-Level Pulaski Yankees had the day off. They begin a best-of-three division series at Burlington on Friday. Pulaski will host Game 2 and, if necessary, Game 3.
GCL Yankees West: (5-1 loss to GCL Tigers East) … That’s it for the GCL season. Hurricane Dorian finished things early. GCL Yankees East finished 18-29 while Yankees West went 22-27.
- Starter: RHP Denny Larrondo: 3 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 2/4 GB/FB — 17-year-old Cuban ends season with 5.01 ERA.
- In Relief: RHP Deurys Marte: 2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- In Relief: RHP Edward Paredes: 2 IP, 2 H, zeros, 1 K
- In Relief: RHP Erick Mendez: 1 IP, zeros, 1 K
- Hitting Star: SS Jose Colmenares: 1-for-4, 3B, RBI, BB, SB, CS
- On Deck: DH Pedro Diaz: 1-for-2, 2 BB, 1 K
- On Deck: 3B Ronny Rojas: 0-for-1, 3 BB
- Notables: The team drew 11 walks, but didn’t have a hit through six innings … CF Nelson Medina went 1-for-3 with a R, BB and K.