News & Notes
- Jasson Dominguez and Luis Medina headed to Denver today for tomorrow’s Futures Game. That game’s at 3 pm, and it’s being livecast on MLB.com and played on TV on MLB Network. It’ll be our first real look at Jasson Dominguez, but it’s unfair to expect anything from him in that game. Still will be cool, though.
- Tomorrow is the MLB draft! It’ll take place at 7 pm tomorrow. Rohan will have an extensive preview tomorrow morning, and we’ll have you covered all night. Looking forward to it.
Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1
The RailRiders lost to the Mets 6-5 in extra innings on Saturday, falling to 36-19 in the process. Annoying! They had a 3-run lead going into the 4th, but blew it before taking a lead in the bottom of the 5th. They blew that one too, and then gave up a run on a double play in the 8th. Can’t win ’em all, even if you’re a Yankees affiliate in 2021.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Asher Wojciechowski: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 BB, 2 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes…the 32-year-old veteran has really struggled in 2021 for Scranton
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.1 IP, zeros, BB, K – 56% of his pitches were strikes…another good performance for the 26-year-old, who has been very reliable
- In Relief: RHP Stephen Ridings: 2.0 IP, H, R, BB, 3 K – 65% of his pitches were strikes…that’s a blown save for Ridings, in a rare misstep from him this year
- In Relief: RHP Adam Warren: 1.0 IP, 2 H, R (0 ER) – 75% of his pitches were strikes…he gave up a “run” on the double play in extras to take his first loss of the season
- A Walk in the Park: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 0-4, BB, 2 K
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 1-3, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Hitting Star: RF Trey Amburgey: 2-4
- Leftovers: Ryan LaMarre had a double…Greg Allen, Armando Alvarez, Kyle Holder, and Andrew Velazquez had the remaining hits for Scranton
Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 2
The RailRiders salvaged the second game of the set, winning 1-0 in 7 innings against the Mets. Both teams had just 3 hits, but Scranton had more baserunners – 5 walks to 3 – and made theirs count. Great win for the team, which improved to 37-19.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Matt Krook: 5.0 IP, H, BB, K – 57% of his pitches were strikes…another nice performance from Krook, who was great in Double-A before getting the call…earned the win, his first
- In Relief: LHP Trevor Lane: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes…earned his 2nd save
- Hitting Star: 1B Brandon Wagner: 2-2, RBI – logged the game’s only run with his 5th inning single to plate Max McDowell
- Speaking Of: C Max McDowell: 1-2, R, 2B
- End of a Streak: DH Trey Amburgey: 0-3, 2 K – and so ends his 42-game on-base streak….not with a bang, but with a whimper
- Leftovers: extremely quiet day otherwise…Hoy Jun Park had 2 walks and a stolen base, and Andrew Velazquez also logged a SB after reaching on an error…that’s it, though
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots are now 38-20 following tonight’s 5-0 victory over the SeaWolves. Another excellent performance from Glenn Otto powered this one, but the team also went 5-14 with RISP. A good performance all around, as usual.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Glenn Otto: 6.0 IP, 4 H, zeros, 8 K – 70% of his pitches were strikes…another dominating performance from the righty, who has not allowed a run in 13 innings in his last two starts…he has 20 Ks and zero walks in the same
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Gadea: 1.0 IP, H, BB, 3 K – 57% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Rob Marinaccio: 2.0 IP, H, BB, 3 K – 62% of his pitches were strikes…he’s been very good
- Red Hot Castillo: 3B Diego Castillo: 2-4, R, 2 2B, RBI – he’s up to .331/.382/.617 on the season
- Multi-Hit Watch: LF Isiah Gilliam: 2-4, 2B, RBI, BB, SB
- Catcher Power: C Donny Sands: 1-4, HR, 2 RBI
- Hitting Star: RF Aaron Palensky: 3-4, R, 2B
- Leftovers: Oswaldo Cabrera, Michael Beltre, and Thomas Milone all had singles…the last two each stole a base, too
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades Game 1
The ‘Gades won 7-1 in game 1 of the doubleheader, improving to 38-19 after their defeat of the Cyclones. They had 7 hits and 6 walks while striking out 10 Brooklyn batters, walking just 2, and allowing just 3 hits. Ho hum.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Mitch Spence: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, BB, 8 K – 65% of his pitches were strikes…the only blemish was a 6th inning HR…earned the win, his 3rd
- In Relief: RHP Nelson L. Alvarez: 1.0 IP, zeros, BB, 2 K – 53% of his pitches went for strikes
- Smith Heat Check: DH Josh Smith: 1-3, R, BB, K
- Middle Infield Rising: SS Ezequiel Duran: 3-4, R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI – nice day at the yard, this was…the 22-year-old is up to .291/.371/.522 through game 1
- First Round Watch: C Anthony Seigler: 0-2, R, 2 BB
- Hitting Star: LF Elijah Dunham: 3-3, R, RBI, 3 SB
- Leftovers: Pablo Olivares and Kyle MacDonald had the other Hudson Valley hits in this one
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades Game 2
The ‘Gades won game 2 of the doubleheader 5-0…and they didn’t allow a hit in the process! That’s a no-hitter, I don’t care what the rules say. They did walk 5 guys, but whatever. No hitter’s a no hitter. They had 5 hits themselves, 3 of which were home runs from Josh Breaux. Pretty memorable day at the yard all around.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Sean Boyle: 4.0 IP, zeros, 3 BB, 3 K – 58% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 2.0 IP, zeros, 2 BB, 4 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: Derek Craft: 1.0 IP, zeros, K – 73% of his pitches were strikes
- Hitting Star: C Josh Breaux: 3-3, 3 R, 3 HR, 5 RBI – lol, have yourself a night, Josh
- Leftovers: not really much else to say about this game, hilariously…Ezequiel Duran had a hit and a run…Oliver Dunn had a stolen base…Eduardo Torreabla had a hit, a double…that was it
Low-A Tampa Tarpons Game 1
The Tarpons, aka the best offensive team in the history of organized professional baseball, scored 14 runs en route to a 14-2 decimation of the Blue Jays. They improved to 39-17 on the season with the win. They scored 14 runs on just 8 hits, but that’s what happens when you walk 10 times. Good things tend to happen.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Beck Way: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 6 K, 2 HRA – 64% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 3.0 IP, H, zeros, BB, 4 K – 61% of his pitches were strikes…the 24-year-old is holding batters to a .190 batting average in 29.1 innings in 2021…he earned the win, his 3rd
- First Round Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 2-2, 4 R, 3B, HR, 2 RBI, 3 BB, CS – another ridiculous game for the rising star…he’s up to .314/.468/.649 on the season, and the power appears to be really playing, which is a nice surprise
- First Round Watch: DH Austin Wells: 1-2, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- Promotion Watch: CF Everson Pereira: 2-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 6 RBI – quite the first week in Low-A for Pereira
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 0-2, R, RBI, 2 BB
- Leftovers: Jake Sanford, Carlos Narvaez, and Jesus Bastidas each had singles…wild day yet again for the ridiculous Tampa offense
Low-A Tampa Tarpons Game 2
For the second straight night, the Tarpons exploded in game 1 of a doubleheader and couldn’t muster much offense in the second game. They lost 5-1 to the Blue Jays in the second game and now sit at 39-18 on the season. They had just 4 hits.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Clay Aguilar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 K – 66% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: LHP Ryan Anderson: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 BB, K – 43% of his pitches went for strikes…took the loss, his 3rd
- In Relief: RHP Enrique Santana: 2.0 IP, 4 H, R, BB, 3 K – 63% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, R, BB, K – 57% of his pitches went for strikes
- Middle Infield Rising: DH Anthony Volpe: 0-3, BB, 2 K, SB – 2019’s first rounder is at .309/.464/.639 on the season…a .464 OBP, lol
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 1-4, K
- Hitting Star: RF Juan De Leon: 1-2, R, HR, RBI, BB
- Leftovers: very quite night…Evan Alexander and Jesus Bastidas had the other hits…Alexander also had SB
Florida Gulf Coast League Yankees
The FCL Yanks got absolutely obliterated on Saturday, losing 15-2 to the Blue Jays. They fell to 6-2 on the season. The Yanks had just 3 hits and made three errors, which contributed to 5 unearned runs on the day. And the pitching staff walked 12 guys. Oh well.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Alexander Vizcaino: 1.0 IP, zeros, BB, K – he only threw 8 pitches…not sure if this was planned rehab from his sore arm or if he tweaked it while pitching…will update if/when we find out more
- In Relief: RHP Freicer Perez: 1.0 IP, H, BB, K
- In Relief: RHP Blas Castano: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Denny Larrondo: 0.2 IP, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 K – the walks, a HBP, and an error did him in
- In Relief: RHP Luis Velasquez: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), BB
- In Relief: RHP Osiel Rodriquez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), BB
- In Relief: LHP Brandom Sanchez: 0.0 IP, H, 4 R, 4 BB
- In Relief: RHP John Mazza: 1.0 IP, zeros – pretty good inning for a catcher
- Vargas Watch: DH Alexander Vargas: 0-3, BB
- Hitting Star: CF Madison Santos: 2-3, 2 R, HR, RBI, 2 BB, K, 2 SB – the 21-year-old outfielder really filled up the box score
- Leftovers: brutal night offensively otherwise, as just Jose Colmenares had a hit…a bunch of walks though, including 4 from Ryder Green, who also stole a base