- James Kaprielian is back in action! He’s pitched in two games, though over three separate days, with the Stockton Ports, Oakland’s High-A squad. MiLB.com had a feature on his hard road to get back to even this point, just eight innings into his comeback. He hadn’t pitched in an MiLB game since April 2016.
- As an addendum to that, gonna editorialize for a second: I hope y’all are rooting for Kaprielian. I know it’s easy to root for the Yankees to “win the trade,” but he’s fought through so many injuries to get here. Plus, from the Gray deal, the Yankees got No. 38 pick T.J. Sikkema, Josh Stowers and a forgotten, yet solid, ALCS start. Kaprielian regaining some semblance of health to return to a mound in affiliated ball is worthy of celebration.
- No Yankees in Baseball America’s prospect hot sheet this week (subs req), but just wanted to draw your attention to the No. 1 hot prospect, Rays SS Wander Franco. He’s raking as an 18-year-old in Low-A and will be tormenting the Yankees in a few short years, I’m sure.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1: (4-2 loss at Buffalo in seven innings) Completion of a suspended game on Apr. 20 … Game had completed two innings.
- Didi Watch: Sir Didi Gregorius had a day off from both ends of the doubleheader. If all goes as planned, he has two full games at shortstop and will be back in the Majors after that.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP David Hale: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 5/0 GB/FB — He literally got a loss in Triple-A as he’s on the MLB roster. I love weird stuff like this.
- In Relief: RHP Brady Koerner: 4 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HR — Basically an abbreviated start for Koerner … gave up a homer to Teoscar Hernandez … hasn’t allowed more than 3 ER all season.
- Hitting Star: 1B Mike Ford: 3-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI — Was in MLB when this game started, so had three hits off the bench.
- On Deck: SS Breyvic Valera: 1-for-3, 1 RBI — Another game, another hit for Valera. Now has a 10-game hitting streak.
- Other Notables: 3B Brad Miller went 1-for-2 with a walk, a run and a stolen base … RF Trey Amburgey went 1-for-2 with two walks and a strikeout.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 2: (9-2 win over Buffalo in seven innings)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Raynel Espinal: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 5/5 GB/FB — 58 of his 89 pitches (65%) were strikes … The 2016 third-round pick has a 1.15 ERA and has allowed nine baserunners over 15 2/3 innings this year … Just his third game.
- In Relief: LHP Daniel Coulombe: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K — First two-inning scoreless outing in Scranton.
- Hitting Star: 1B Mike Ford: 2-for-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R — Have yourself a day, Mike Ford!
- On Deck: SS Tyler Wade: 2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 R, 3 RBI, 1 HBP — The double scored two runs to help break the game open.
- Other Notables: RF Ryan McBroom went 3-for-4 with a double and a run scored … LF Brad Miller went 1-for-3 with a walk, run scored, RBI and a strikeout.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: Scheduled day off for the Thunder … They’ll be in Hartford on Tuesday with Rony Garcia as the starter.
High-A Tampa Tarpons: (8-4 loss to Port St. Lucie) … Faced Ervin Santana, who the Mets signed to an MiLB deal.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Frank German: 5 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, 2 HR, 1 HBP, 7/5 GB/FB — 55 of his 90 pitches (61%) were strikes … the unearned runs were due to his own error.
- In Relief: LHP Dalton Lehnen: 1 2/3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Hitting Star: CF Estevan Florial: 2-for-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R, — First game of the year and he homers in his second AB.
- On Deck: LF Tyler Hill: 3-for-4, 1 2B, 1 R — Was also caught stealing.
- Other Notables: OF Josh Stowers was placed on the 7-day IL.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs: (5-0 win over Lexington)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Luis Gil: 5 2/3 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 6/4 GB/FB — 59 of his 97 pitches (61%) were strikes … Has a 2.08 ERA in Charleston.
- In Relief: RHP Jhony Brito: 3 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HBP — Has a 1.93 ERA and a 30:5 K:BB ratio over 28 IP.
- Hitting Star: DH Canaan Smith: 1-for-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB — Fourth homer for Smith was a three-run jack.
- On Deck: CF Brandon Lockridge: 2-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 R — Seems like he has big hits every night.
- Other Notables: 1B Mickey Gasper went 1-for-4 with his 15th double of the year.
The Short-Season Staten Island Yankees open their season in Brooklyn on Friday, June 14.
The Rookie-level Pulaski Yankees begin play on Tuesday, June 18.
The Gulf Coast League Yankees East team opens up on Monday, June 24 while the GCL Yankees West play on Tuesday, June 25.