News & Notes
- Scranton will be playing in front of a full capacity crowd starting on June 1. Pretty cool.
- Greg Weissert talked to Mike Ashmore about how looking at Chaz Roe’s slider grip on Twitter helped him hone his own pitch. Check it out; it’s worth a read.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Green: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 3 K – 30 of his 53 pitches (57%) went for strikes…he retired just 7 of the 13 batters he faced…rough debut for the 26-year-old
- In Relief: RHP Nestor Cortes Jr.: 2.2 IP, zeros, 4 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes…dominant performance for the 2019 Yankee big leaguer
- Rehab Watch: 1B Luke Voit: 0-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K – the rehabbing Bomber was pulled before the rain delay…he is 4-9 with a HR, 2B, and 2BB in Scranton so far
- Spring Training Hero: DH Chris Gittens: 1-1, 3 BB, 2 R, 2 RBI – weird but good line for the spring training exit velo star
- Catching Depth: C Robinson Chirinos: 3-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 HR – nice night for the recovering Chirinos…he will be important depth for the big league squad
- Leftovers: Greg Allen (2), Trey Amburgey, and Ryan LaMarre all added hits…the RailRiders walked 8 times and struck out 7
Somerset improved to 3-1 with a dominating 10-2 performance over the Harrisburg Senators. Estevan Florial continues to mash home runs, adding two more today, while Patriots pitchers struck out 12 and walked 4.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Janson Junk: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 4 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes, decent night overall
- In Relief: JP Sears: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K – 60% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: Stephen Ridings: 2.0 IP, zeros, 4 K – 71% of his pitches were strikes…in 3 innings so far, Ridings has 5 K, 1 BB, and 0 hits allowed…not bad
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 K – 88% of his pitches went for strikes
- Florial Watch: DH Estevan Florial: 2-3, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K – a great night for Florial, who hit his 2nd leadoff HR of the season…could have been even bigger, too, but he struck out with the bases loaded
- Bottom of the Order Madness: Thomas Milone, Michael Beltre, Zack Zehner, and Brandon Wagner went 8-15 with 2 2B, 4 RBI, and 5 BB from the 6-9 slots in the lineup
- Leftovers: Oswaldo Cabrera, Diego Castillo, and Donny Sands were 0-12 with three walks
Hudson Valley Renegades
The Renegades fall to 1-3 on the early season with a 1-0 loss to the Jersey Shore BlueClaws. The pitching staff was honestly great – they allowed just 1 hit and struck out 9 – but a few wild pitches did them in. Tough loss.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Jhony Brito: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K – the 23-year-old threw 75% strikes tonight and really mowed through the competition, even though his K rate was low…dominant performance
- In Relief: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K – 53% of his offerings went for strikes…tough loss for the righty, but a walk, a stolen base, and two wild pitches will do you in
- In Relief: LHP Matt Minnick: 1.0 IP, 2 K – 62% of his pitches went for strikes
- Hit Alert: LF Pablo Olivares: 1-3, 1 BB, 1 K
- Hit Alert x2: C Mickey Gaspar: 1-3, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
- Hit Alert x3: 2B Oliver Dunn: 1-4, 2 K
- Leftovers: a brutal night for everyone else at the dish…Oswald Peraza and Ezequiel Duran were a combined 0-7 with 2 K and a walk, though Peraza did steal a base…pretty lifeless otherwise, a few walks aside
Lol, the Tarpons beat the Blue Jays 25-10. They had 18 hits and 11 walks, with just 3 HR. Scoring 25 runs on 3 HR is honestly pretty damn impressive to me. Talk about a ridiculous game. They’re 4-0 on the season with the victory.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Ryan Anderson: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 2 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes…but he got just 4 outs while facing 10 batters
- In Relief: RHP Blane Abeyta: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K – 60% of his pitches went for strikes…again, though, a Tampa pitcher struggled to get outs…Abeyta retired just 5 of the 11 he faced
- In Relief: LHP Ben Keizer: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 3 K– 55% of his pitches went for strikes…he retired 50% of those he faced, but struck out 100% of those he got out…modern pitching, baby
- In Relief: Michael Giacone: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K – 54% of his pitches went for strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 K – 66% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Carson Coleman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 WP, 1 BB, 1 K – just 44% of his pitches were strikes, in a 15-run game in the 9th inning…not great
- First Round Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 1-4, 3 R, 1 2B, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 SB – Volpe is hitting .412 in the early season
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 0-4, 2 BB, 2 R, 1 K – weird that Tampa scored 25 with just 1 hit from their top 2 hitters
- Hitting Star: 3B Andres Chaparro: 3-5, 2 2B, 4 RBI, 1 BB
- Hitting Star: 1B Spencer Henson: 3-3, 3 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI
- Hitting Star: literally everyone else…Pat DeMarco had 4 hits, a HR, and 7 RBi…Max Burt had 3 hits and a HR…Elijah Dunham and Juan de Leon each had a hit