- Big promotion news: the Yankees have promoted Luis Medina, Ken Waldichuk, and Hayden Wesneski from High-A Hudson Valley to Double-A Somerset. That’s according to BA’s Josh Norris, who’d know.
- That will mean there are accompanying moves upward throughout the organization that we’ll presumably find out about soon. No idea who or what those might be, though, so no point in me guessing….except that I would guess that Janson Junk would get the call to Scranton.
- All told, Somerset is now the most interesting team in the farm – a mantle previously owned by Hudson Valley. They have some of the team’s most interesting farmhands, including Medina and Waldichuck but also Oswald Peraza and Luis Gil. Go check ’em out if you can.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders improved to 23-11 on the back of a 6-run outburst in the 4th inning. They beat the Bisons 8-0 as Luke Voit kicked off his rehab. Good stuff.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Nelson: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K – 61% of his pitches were strikes…Nelson has a 1.96 ERA in Triple-A, with 26 strikeouts against just 6 walks in 18.1 IP…I think he should bring this energy to the Bronx once he gets the call again
- In Relief: RHP Adam Warren: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 1.0 IP, zeros, 2 K– 64% of his pitches were strikes…glad to see him do well after an abysmal Bronx showing
- In Relief: RHP Sal Romano: 1.0 IP, 1 H, zeros– 75% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Luis García: 1.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 1 K – 73% of his pitches were strikes
- Rehab Watch: 1B Luke Voit: 1-3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI – where have you gone, Luke Voit, a Bronx offense turns its lonely eyes to you
- Hitting Star: RF Ryan LaMarre: 4-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBI – remember him?
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 3-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K – even in a good game, he had to have his signature strikeout
- MLB Watch: 3B Derek Dietrich: 1-3, 1 HR, 3 RBI– at what point is he an option over Odor…granted, he is hitting just .160
- Leftovers: Hoy Jun Park, Trey Amburgey, and Andrew Velazquez had the other hits…7 of 9 Scranton hitters reached base in one stretch in the 4th that included three extra base hits
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots are 22-13 following today’s 2-0 victory over the Erie SeaWolves. They struck out 13 batters and allowed just 4 hits in a pretty good pitching performance, even if it included 5 walks. The game was tight the whole time and was 1-0 until the 9th.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Janson Junk: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 9 K– 64% of his pitches were strikes…the 25-year-old has a 0.93 ERA and 39 strikeouts in 29 IP this year…batters are hitting just .170 against him…maybe a Scranton call up is in the near future
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Gadea: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K – 59% of his pitches were strikes…he owns a 1.59 ERA
- In Relief: RHP Ron Marinaccio: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 1 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.0 IP, zeros, 2 BB – 47% of his pitches were strikes
- Peraza Watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 1-4, 1 K
- Hitting Star: CF Michael Beltre: 1-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – hit into a force out in the 4th that drove in a run…added the solo shot in the 9th
- Multi-Hit Watch: 3B Cristian Perez: 2-4, 2 K
- Leftovers: not a great day at the dish for Somerset…Oswaldo Cabrera, Diego Castillo, and Dermis Garcia had the other hits
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades are 20-14 on the season after today’s 5-0 dispatching of the Cyclones. They struck out 12 and walked just 2. All 5 runs came in the 8th and 9th innings.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Hayden Wesneski: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 9 K – 67% of his pitches were strikes…held High-A batters to a .194 BAA against with 47 K in 36.1 IP against just 9 walks…Double-A awaits for the 2019 6th rounder
- In Relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 K– 75% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Zack Greene: 1.0 IP, zeros, 2 K– 64% of his pitches were strikes
- Hitting Star: SS Josh Smith: 1-5, 2B, 2 RBI – broke open the scoring with a double in the 8th
- Hitting Star: DH Ezequiel Duran: 1-3, 2 BB, 2 K
- Hitting Star: C Josh Breaux: 1-5, 2B, 1 RBI – 9th inning double
- Multi-Hit Watch: RF Frederick Cuevas: 2-3, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 BB, 2 SB – great game
- Multi-Hit Watch: 2B Eduardo Torrealba: 2-4, 1 R, 1 SB
- Leftovers: Eric Wagaman had the other hit, a double….even dispersal of hits for the lineup, as nearly everyone joined in on the fun
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons are 26-10 after defeating the Threshers 12-5 on Sunday. They are one of the best teams in all of the lower minors right now, and you just love to see it. Interestingly, they were the only team in the entire system not to participate in a shutout today. Just don’t ask which side the big league squad was on.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Beck Way: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 4 BB, 1 K– 41% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: LHP Edgar Barclay: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 3 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 3.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 4 K– 63% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB – 50% of his pitches were strikes
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 0-5, 1 BB, 2 K
- First Round Watch: DH Austin Wells: 2-5, 2 H, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB – another nice game for him
- Hitting Star: RF Jake Sanford: 2-5, 3 R, 1 BB, 1 K
- Hitting Star: 3B Andres Chaparro: 2-5, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI
- Hitting Star: LF Juan De Leon: 2-5, 1 R, 2B
- Leftovers: Carlos Narvaez and Jesus Bastidas had the other hits for the Tarpons