News & Notes
- Tyler Wade is with the Triple-A RailRiders now, alongside Albert Abreu. The RailRiders released Luis Garcia.
- So is Stephen Ridings, who was promoted from Somerset. Elvis Peguero was promoted to Somerset to take Ridings’ place.
- Janson Junk was named Pitcher of the Month for Somerset with a 1.33 ERA in 27 innings in June.
- Diego Castillo was named Player of the Month, also for Somerset, after hitting .378 in Double-A. Seems solid.
- Matt Sauer is the Southeast League Pitcher of the Week after his 6.0- IP, 1 H, 10 K performance for the Tarpons. Well deserved.
- Anthony Volpe was the Player of the Month for the Tarpons after he hit .392 in June. Pretty good!
- The two best minor league hitters last month were in the Yankees system – Anthony Volpe and Josh Smith. Diego Castillo and Hoy-Jun Park also made the cut of players with a 10+ wRAA in June.
Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
After a brief rain delay, the RailRiders dispatched the Mets 8-3 to improve to 35-16. They had 5 SB, 10 hits, and 6 walks. Their pitchers walked 7, but the offense was enough to overcome it.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Luis Gil: 5.0 IP, H, R, 5 BB, 7 K – 59% of his pitches were strikes…obviously had a bit of a control problem, at least to JD Davis, but otherwise a good outing…ah a classic pitching prospect story…earned his 2nd win
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 1.o IP, 2 H, zeros – 56% of his ptiches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Stephen Ridings: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), K – 67% of his pitches were strikes…not a great Triple-A debut
- In Relief: RHP Reggie McClain: 2.0 IP, zeros, 2 BB, 2 K – 53% of his pitches were strikes
- Florial Rising: CF Estevan Florial: 0-3, zeros, RBI, BB – no hits, but also no strikeouts
- Red-Hot Middle Infield: 2B Hoy-Jun Park: 3-4, R, 2B, BB, K – he’s absolutely on fire…he’s been on base in 29-straight games
- On-Base Machine: LF Trey Amburgey: 1-3, R, 2 BB – he has a 39-game on-base streak
- Multi-Hit Watch: 3B Andrew Velazquez: 2-3, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 SB
- Philosopher King: DH Socrates Brito: 1-4, 2 R, 2 K, 2 SB
- Leftovers: Kyle Holder had a hit and 2 SB…Ryan LaMarre had a 2-RBI triple….Max McDowell had a hit…Armando Alvarez walked and stole a base
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots were rained out on Tuesday and will play a doubleheader tomorrow beginning at 4 pm.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The Renegades defeated the Cyclones 9-7 on Tuesday and improved to 35-19. They struck out 13 opposing batters, walked 4 and racked up 9 runs on 12 hits. The farm, guys. They’re all so good.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Josh Maciejewski: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, BB, 6 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: LHP Matt Minnick: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, BB, K – 57% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 2.0 IP, H, R, 2 BB, 4 K – 61% of his pitches were strikes...earned his 4th win
- In Relief: RHP Derek Craft: 1.0 IP, H, zeros, 2 K – 71% of his pitches were strikes…earned his 2nd save
- Middle Infield Rising: SS Josh Smith: 2-2 2 R, 2 2B – his hot season continues, as he’s up to .333/.437/.598 in 23 games for Hudson Valley after hitting .333/.480/.795 with Tampa in 2021
- Multi-Hit Watch: C Josh Breaux: 2-5, R, HR, RBI
- Multi-Hit Watch: RF Brandon Lockridge: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, SB
- Multi-Hit Watch: CF Pablo Olivares: 2-2, R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Leftovers: Ezequiel Duran had a hit…Elijah Dunham had a hit, a double, and an RBI…Chad Bell and Kyle MacDonald had the other two hits
High-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons were rained out on Tuesday. They’ll play a doubleheader on July 8 (Thursday) beginning at 5 pm.
Florida Gulf Coast League Yankees
It was a 5-4, extra-innings victory for the Yanks over the Phillies today in Florida. All of the scoring occurred after the 8th inning, too, which made for a crazy finish. They improved to 4-1 with the victory and Jasson logged another hit. A good day all around.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Tyrone Yulie: 3.0 IP, 1 H, BB, 4 K – retired 9 of the 10 he faced and needed only 21 pitches to do it
- In Relief: RHP Alfred Vega: 2.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 4 K
- In Relief: RHP Carlos Gomez: 2.- IP, zeros, 2 BB, 2 K – retired 6 of 7 on just 17 pitches
- In Relief: RHP Yoljeldriz Diaz: 0.2 IP, – H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 K – faced 14 batters, retired just 4
- In Relief: RHP Luis Velasquez: 1.0 IP, H, R, 3 BB, 2 K
- In Relief: RHP Kevin Millam: 1.1 IP, R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 K
- Martian Watch: CF Jasson Dominguez: 1-2, K – first professional day without a walk, but he did get a hit, a single
- Middle Infield Rising: SS Alexander Vargas: 1-3
- Power Watch: 1B Jose Martinez: 1-1, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, BB – hit a 3-R homer in the 8th to give the Yanks the lead at the time
- Walk-Off Magic: LF/CF Madison Santos: 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI – his double walked off the game for the Yanks
- Leftovers: D’Vaughn Knowles had the other hit for the Yanks