Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
In the first of a pattern, the Railriders were rained out. They will play a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 5:05.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots were rained out on Thursday and will play a doubleheader tomorrow.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The Renegades were rained out and will play a doubleheader on Saturday. The games, guys. They keep getting postponed.
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 1
The Tarpons obliterated the Dunedin Jays 21-2 during Game 1 of the doubleheader. They were actually losing 1-0 going into the top of the 3rd inning and then scored 21 runs in 5 innings. That’s an early May performance from the Tarpons, folks. They had 21 hits, walked 7 times, and went 10-15 with RISP. Mercy. They improved to 37-16 on the season.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Yoendrys Gomez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 5 K – 68% of his pitches were strikes…amazingly, he did not earn the win
- In Relief: RHP Anderson Munoz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 5 K –73% of his pitches were strikes…he did earn the win
- In Relief: RHP Nick Paciorek: 1.0 IP, zeros, 2 BB, 2 K –40% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 1 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes
- First Round Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 2-4 2 R, RBI, K
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 3-3, 4 R, 2B, HR, 6 RBI, 2 BB – have yourself a day…2020’s first rounder is up to .278/402/.494 through about 200 PA
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 3-5, 3 R, 2B, 4 RBI, BB, 2 K
- Promotion Watch: CF Everson Pereira: 3-5, R, 2B, 3 RBI, BB – have yourself a debut, man
- Sanford Heat Check: LF Jake Sanford: 2-3, RBI, K, SB – only starter to not score a run
- Hitting Star: RF Pat DeMarco: 4-4, 5 R, 2B, BB – is it fair to only have one hitting star in a game like this?
- Leftovers: it’s cruel to put anyone in here…Andres Chaparro had a HR and so did Carlos Narvaez….Juan De Leon had a hit and so did Eric Wagaman…ridiculously good performance by everyone
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 2
The Tarpons lost Game 2 of the doubleheader 3-1. Perhaps they should have saved some of those runs for the second game, eh? They had just 2 hits in the second game, though they did stage something of a mini-rally in the 7th. They just couldn’t do anything with men on second and third with one out. Oh well. They’re 37-17.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Matt Sauer: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 6 K – 66% of his pitches were strikes…got hit around a bit in the 3rd but was pretty effective otherwise
- In Relief: LHP Edgar Barclay: 2.0 IP, zeros, 2 K –60% of his pitches were strikes.. only baserunner reached on error in the 5th, but then he retired the next guy with a GIDP…good performance
- First Round Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-1, R, BB, HBP
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 1-2, 2B, 2 BB, K – hit his double in the 7th and final frame after Volpe was HBP
- Hitting Star: 3B Jesus Bastidas: 1-3, 2 K – ok, not really a star, but he had a hit…slim pickings
- Leftovers: all the offense stayed in Game 1…there was nothing else notable about this game offensively
Florida Gulf Coast League Yankees Game 1
The FCL Yankees improved to 5-1 on the season, defeating the FCL Tigers West 3-0 in 7 innings. They had just 3 hits, but made them count. They allowed 4 hits but no runs, walking just 1. Yankee hitters, on the other hand, had 8 walks. That’ll do it.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Blane Abeyta: 3.2 IP, H, BB, 4 K – the 22-year-old is pitching much better in the FCL than with the Tarpons
- In Relief: LHP Ben Keizer: 3.1 IP, 3 H, zeros, 2 K
- Martian Watch: CF Jasson Dominguez: 0-4, 2 K
- Middle Infield Rising: SS Alexander Vargas: 1-3, RBI, BB, CS
- Hitting Star: LF Ryder Green: 2-3, 2 R, 2B, BB, K, SB – filled up the box score here
- Leftovers: quiet day..Jose Martinez scored a run and had an RBI…Jake Pries also had an RBI and a walk…that was it for the offense
Florida Gulf Coast League Yankees Game 2
Game 2 of the doubleheader was suspended due to rain after 1 scoreless inning and change. Here’s where things stood going into the suspension. I assume they’ll pick this one back up tomorrow:
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Yon Castro: 1.2 IP, zeros