Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
SWB fell to Worcester 5-3 in extras (box score). The WooSox played three in the top of the 11th off Greg Weissert, and the RailRiders one run counter fell short.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Deivi García: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 6 K — 50 of 87 pitches were strikes (57%)…Disappointing season continues for the 22 year-old, who has 43 walks in 59 innings.
- In relief: RHP Nick Green: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K — 28 of 42 pitches were strikes (67%)
- In relief: RHP Kevin Gadea: 3.0 IP, 3 K, zeroes — 19 of 26 pitches were strikes (73%)…Have yourself a night…this was Gadea’s debut at Triple-A.
- In relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K — 13 of 25 pitches were strikes (52%)…Took the loss. Has given up runs in back-to-back appearances and seen his Triple-A ERA rise from 0.87 to 1.99 (22.2 innings).
- Hitting co-star: SS Andrew Velazquez: 2-4, R , RBI, BB, 2 K, 3 SB
- Hitting co-star: C Donny Sands: 2-5, 2 RBI, K — Hitting .293/.362/.537 in 47 PAs for SWB…25 year-old backstop snuck on to the back of the Yankees’ top-30 prospects per MLB Pipeline after the trade deadline attrition.
- Prospect watch: CF Estevan Florial: 0-5, R, 2 K — 1-for-12 with 5 strikeouts and a walk since the Yankees sent him back down
- Leftovers: 1B Armando Alvarez and 3B Cristian Perez were the only others to reach base, both singled. No Luke Voit in this one, not sure what’s next for him in his rehab stint, but one would assume he’s ready.
Deivi strikeout tracker: 🅚🅚🅚🅚🅚 pic.twitter.com/ikLntm6xrn— SWB RailRiders (@swbrailriders) August 6, 2021
Double-A Somerset Patriots
Bowie blanked Somerset, 4-0 (box score). Baltimore’s two top prospects — Adley Rutschman and Grayson Rodriguez — stole the show.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Clarke Schmidt: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K — 28 of 50 pitches were strikes (56%)…This was a rehab appearance, and Schmidt said postgame that he feels he’s ready to get major league hitters out. The Yankees are short on starters obviously, but I feel like Schmidt will be more of a bullpen option this year.
- In relief: LHP Ken Waldichuk: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 10 K, 2 HR, WP — 62 of 90 pitches were strikes (69%)…Top prospect Adley Rutschman took Waldichuk deep….The lefty has surrendered 8 homers in 48.2 innings for Somerset after none in 30.2 frames for Hudson Valley.
- In relief: RHP Addison Russ: 0.2 IP, BB, zeroes — 8 of 15 pitches were strikes (53%)
- Prospect watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 2-4, 2 K — Back-to-back multi-hit games for Peraza. He had cooled off a little bit toward the end of July, so it’s good to see him pick things back up.
- Leftovers: Very quiet night for the offense. Baltimore’s (and perhaps the league’s) top pitching prospect, Grayson Rodriguez, overwhelmed the Patriots and fanned 9 in 4.2 innings. 2B Oswaldo Cabrera was the only player to get a hit off Rodriguez. LF Isiah Gilliam and C Jason Lopez picked up the only other knocks for Somerset. Gilliam also stole a bag.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
A four-run sixth inning propelled the Renegades past the Cyclones, 5-3 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Anderson Muñoz: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 9 K — 49 of 70 pitches were srikes (70%)…Righty is listed at 5-foot-8 and 158 pounds, yet seems to rack up strikeouts with ease (touched 97 on the radar gun). Has 39 in 25.1 innings between Tampa and Hudson Valley.
- In relief: RHP Charlie Ruegger: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K — 25 of 37 pitches were strikes (68%)
- In relief: RHP Carlos Espinal: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K — 13 of 29 pitches were strikes (45%)
- Hitting star: 1B Kyle MacDonald: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K — Nice night for the club’s 27th-rounder in 2019. Hit go-ahead two-run double in the sixth.
- Prospect watch: CF Everson Pereira: 2-5, 2 K, SB, CS — 3-for-14 since the promotion to Hudson Valley
- Prospect watch: DH Austin Wells: 0-4, R, BB, 2 K — 1-for-12 with a double and a couple of walks since he was moved up from Tampa
- Prospect watch: C Anthony Seigler: 2-4, R, BB, K — Ejected in the ninth after he struck out
- Prospect watch: RF Jake Sanford: 3-5, K, SB — Has a six-game hitting streak during which he’s hitting .400
- Leftovers: Every starter had a hit in this one. LF Pablo Olivares and 2B Eduardo Torrealba had two singles apiece, while 3B Andres Chaparro and SS Oliver Dunn picked up on knock each. Dunn’s was a double.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons:
- Starting pitcher: RHP Blas Castaño: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K — 44 of 75 pitches were strikes (59%)
- In relief: LHP Clay Aguilar: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K — 26 of 37 pitches were strikes (70%)
- In relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K — 12 of 24 pitches were strikes (50%)
- The Martian goes deep: CF Jasson Dominguez: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, 2 K –– Hit the dinger right-handed. His second of the year, with the other coming from the left side. Would like the see the strikeouts come down a bit, has a 30.2 percent K-rate for Tampa.
- Prospect watch: LF Ryder Green: 3-4, 2 R, 2B — Back-to-back multi-hit games and is up to .310/.397/.500 in 68 PA at the level. Also striking out north of 30 percent, though.
- Leftovers: This year’s 10th-rounder SS Benjamin Cowles tallied two hits and three RBIs…2B Roberto Chirinos and 1B Eric Wagaman had the other base hits for Tampa.