- MiLB’s Sam Dykstra took a look back at how each of the first-round picks from the 2018 MLB draft. Definitely a mixed bag results-wise (A’s probably regretting Kyler Murray now). Sam’s piece includes a writeup on Yankees selection Anthony Siegler.
- With another rainout in Scranton, Didi Gregorius’ rehab gets another delay. He was scheduled to DH for the Railriders. Aaron Boone said he’ll likely be back on the next road trip, yet he needs to play shortstop in back-to-back games first.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: Rained out vs. Rochester, makeup on July 5th
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (Down 6-0 in 3rd vs. Altoona) … game suspended and second game postponed. Makeup TBD
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Deivi Garcia: 2 2/3 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 2 HBP, 2/0 GB/FB — 47 of 69 pitches (68%) were strikes … The Yankees’ top pitching prospect had a real clunker in his sixth Double-A outing … Had hit only one batter all season … Six of eight outs via the strikeout is encouraging.
- Hitting Notable: SS Kyle Holder: The former first-round pick went 1-for-1 with a double in this abbreviated game.
- On Deck: DH Hoy-Jun Park: 0-for-1 — The shortstop had a one-hit, three-walk game Monday and has a .309 batting average and near .400 OBP through 37 games.
- More to know: RHP Albert Abreu was scheduled to start Game 2 and is now Friday’s probable pitcher.
High-A Tampa Tarpons: (12-4 loss at Dunedin)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Janson Junk: 3 2/3 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 4/3 GB/FB — 46 of his 81 pitches (57%) were strikes … Easily Junk’s worst outing the season. Just his third start, but first time allowing more than two runs in a game this year … ERA still just 3.98.
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 1 1/3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/0 GB/FB — The 2016 23rd-round pick has a 1.93 ERA in 23 innings with 31 strikeouts and six walks.
- Hitting Star: DH Steven Sensley: 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 K, 1 GIDP — Tampa allowed the first 12 runs of this game while Sensley helped contribute to two runs off the bullpen.
- On Deck: 1B Dermis Garcia: 1-for-4, 1 BB, 3 K — Dermis still has an OPS of .784 despite the off-night for the Tarpons.
- Other Notables: 3B Oswaldo Cabrera went 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored … C Donny Sands went 2-for-4 with an RBI and an error on a pickoff.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs: (7-3 win at Lexington)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Alexander Vizcaino: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 8/4 GB/FB — 59 of his 84 pitches (70%) were strikes … Third quality start out of his last four outings … Has a 3.42 ERA in his first full stint with Charleston.
- In Relief: RHP Tanner Myatt: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 2/2 GB/FB — Last year’s 11th-round pick, Myatt put up a pretty dominant three-inning save.
- Hitting Star: CF Brandon Lockridge: 1-for-5, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 R, 2 K — Lockridge’s grand slam in the second inning put the RiverDogs up for good.
- On Deck: DH Canaan Smith: 3-for-5, 1 R, 2 K — The 2017 fourth-round pick, just 20-years-old, now has a 17-game on-base streak.
- Other Notables: RF Josh Stowers went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts … 2B Kyle Gray and 3B Max Burt combined for four hits, three RBI and four runs scored.