Didi Gregorius flies out to the warning track in his second at-bat. Sounded like it got in just enough on his hands. pic.twitter.com/katM0VptYu— Conor Foley (@RailRidersTT) May 29, 2019
- Deivi Garcia was No. 4 on Baseball America’s prospect hot sheet for his last week. What for? Well, the 20-year-old wunderkind tossed 12 innings, allowed just three runs and struck out 17 batters (!) to just one walk.
- Old friend Jorge Mateo tearing it up in the Pacific Coast League and made MiLB’s prospect roundup a couple days ago. Dealt in the Sonny Gray trade in 2017, Mateo had previously struggled with his new franchise.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1: (3-1 win over Rochester in 7 innings)
- Didi Watch: Didi Gregorius went 0-for-3 while playing all seven innings of the game at shortstop … Hit his second ball to the warning track in right field. He made some nice plays in the field, so he’s playing as one would hope. Had one play that could have been ruled a throwing error, according to Donnie Collins. A few kinks to work out. The plan is for him to DH in Thursday’s game.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Brady Koerner: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 10/3 GB/FB — 58 of his 93 pitches (62%) were strikes … Gave up a leadoff homer and nothing else … That’s his second quality start in Scranton. Hasn’t struck out more than three batters and walked three in consecutive starts … Keeping the ball on the ground is working though.
- In Relief: LHP Stephen Tarpley: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1/1 GB/FB: Threw 19 pitches en route to his first save of the year. Has a 1.76 ERA in Triple-A.
- Hitting Star: C Ryan Lavarnway: 1-for-3, 3 RBI, 1 GIDP: The veteran backstop hit a three-run single and that’s all Scranton needed.
- On Deck: 2B Breyvic Valera: 2-for-3, 1 2B: The newly acquired second baseman has done nothing but rake in Scranton. Closed this game with a .422 average and 1.433 OPS. Unfortunately for him, Didi will make the infield picture that much more crowded.
- Other Notables: 1B Mike Ford went 1-for-2 with a walk … CF Mike Tauchman drew a walk in 3 PAs … 2B Brad Miller added a walk and a run in three turns at the plate.
Triple-A Scranton Railriders Game 2: (6-5 win over Rochester in eight innings).
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Daniel Camarena: 6 2/3 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 9 K, 0 HR, 6/4 GB/FB — 73 of his 98 pitches (75%) were strikes … Gave up all five of his runs in the third inning with one out … Settled down and struck out a career-high.
- In Relief: RHP J.P. Feyereisen: 1 1/3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 K, 1/0 GB/FB: Has a 2.19 ERA in his third season with Scranton … Moves to 4-0 on the season
- Hitting Star: LF Mike Tauchman: 2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 IBB: Socked his first homer in International League play … was intentionally walked with man on second to start eighth inning.
On Deck: 1B Ryan McBroom: 1-for-2, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SF: Lost his hitting streak in first game, but he’s now 12-for-22 with 5 HR, 10 RBI and 6 BB in last seven games with
Other Notables: Breyvic Valera had another 2-for-3 with a walk. Wow. … 2B Brad Miller hit in the winning run on a walk-off error, scored tying run in seventh … SS Tyler Wade had game-tying RBI in the seventh.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: Postponed by inclement weather … will makeup with a doubleheader starting at 5 p.m. on Thursday
High-A Tampa Tarpons: (4-1 loss at Dunedin)
- Starting Pitcher: LHP JP Sears: 4 2/3 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 0 HR, 3 HBP 4/0 GB/FB — 50 of his 78 pitches (64%) were strikes … The right-hander is still getting stretched out; This was his sixth appearance of the season and longest thus far … Acquired for Nick Rumbelow two offseasons ago … First year in High-A for the 23-year-old.
- In Relief: LHP Dalton Lehnen: 3 1/3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 4/3 GB/FB — Was coming off a poor outing against Bradenton … Has ERA down to 4.13, has 24/17 K/BB ratio … 2017 6th round pick for the Bombers.
- Hitting Star: CF Paolo Olivares: 1-for-4, 1 RBI — Had Tampa’s lone RBI with a line-drive single in the third inning … Now has hits in five of his last six games, though his slugging percentage has dipped below .300.
- On Deck: C Donny Sands: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 1 K — Batting average back above .200 for the Tarpons’ backstop, fourth two-hit game of last three weeks.
- Other Notables: Oswaldo Cabrera DH’d and went 0-for-4 with a strikeout … 1B Dermis Garcia went 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs: Scheduled off-day for the RiverDogs. Alexander Vizcaino is scheduled to start for them in Lexington on Thursday night.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees, Rookie-level Pulaski Yankees and Gulf Coast League Yankees will begin play next month.