Calling a timeout as the ball you just hit flies out of the park…biiiiig power move from @TampaTarpons Dermis Garcia.— Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium (@RDCstadium) June 15, 2019
UP NEXT: the 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game presented by @SpeedproNPB pic.twitter.com/bJBG8SJ9zh
- Dermis Garcia won the Florida State League Home Run Derby! He hit six homers in the first round and 12 in the final round to grab the trophy. Look at that power up top!
- First half ends for the South Atlantic League tomorrow and the SAL All-Star Game is Tuesday. Brandon Lockridge and Canaan Smith will both take part in the Home Run Derby.
- Lockridge was added to the All-Star roster, making it seven RiverDogs in the game.
- OF Leonardo Molina is with Staten Island on a rehab assignment from Charleston
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders: (2-0 loss at Durham) … Shut down by LHP/1B Brendan McKay, who could be a force for Tampa Bay down the stretch.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Raynel Espinal: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 K, 1 HBP, 5/2 GB/FB — 63 of his 94 pitches (67%) were strikes … Ties longest outing of his career, first time completing six innings since 2017.
- In Relief: LHP Stephen Tarpley: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR — First homer allowed in Triple-A this year.
- Stanton Watch: LF Giancarlo Stanton: 0-for-4, 3 K — Played all nine innings in left field, which he’ll be playing a fair amount with Edwin Encarnacion aboard … Threw out man at second.
- On Deck: DH Aaron Judge: 0-for-4, 1 K
- Other Notables: 2B Breyvic Valera went 0-for-3 with a walk … 1B Logan Morrison singled in three at-bats … CF Trey Amburgey doubled while SS Thairo Estrada went 0-for-2 with a walk.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (9-4 loss at Bowie) … Three-way tie for first place with Reading and Hartford.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Trevor Stephan: 4 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 4/4 GB/FB — 48 of his 70 pitches (69%) were strikes … After a scoreless start vs. Erie, his ERA jumps up to 6.27 tonight.
- In Relief: RHP Andrew Bellatti: 2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR — Back from Triple-A.
- Hitting Star: SS Kyle Holder: 2-for-3, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 R, 1 SAC — Homered off former Yankees farmhand Dillon Tate.
- On Deck: LF Zack Zehner: 3-for-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 R — Third homer of the season.
- Other Notables: 1B Brandon Wagner and RF Ben Ruta each had two hits with a double, Ruta threw a man out at home … RHP Domingo Acevedo threw a scoreless inning … DH Chris Gittens and 2B Hoy Jun Park each went 1-for-5.
High-A Tampa Tarpons is off until Monday with the FSL All-Star Game tonight. The North Division, which includes the Tarpons, lost 2-0 (here’s the box). And here’s the Tarpons’ ASG performances
- RF Isiah Gilliam: 1-for-4, 1 K
- 1B Dermis Garcia: 1-for-4, 2 K — Who cares how you hit after you win the HR Derby? Yankees’ org has to have best HR Derby prospects from MLB to low minors.
- C Jason Lopez: 0-for-1, 1 K
- RHP Braden Briston: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR — Gave up the homer to 2018 No. 10 overall pick and amazing name-haver Travis Swaggerty
- RHP Brooks Kriske: DNP – He’s been in Double-A since the end of April.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs: (5-1 loss to Greenville) … Another loss harming their playoff chances … They need both Augusta and Lexington to lose Sunday while winning their own game to claim the first-half crown.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nolan Martinez: 4 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 4/3 GB/FB — 42 of his 73 pitches (58%) were strikes … First time he’s struggled with command this season.
- In Relief: RHP Carlos Espinal: 3 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR — Allowed homer to Red Sox prospect Triston Casas.
- Hitting Star: DH Anthony Siegler: 2-for-6, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R, 2 K
- On Deck: SS Eduardo Torrealba: 1-for-4, 1 RBI
- Other Notables: CF Brandon Lockridge had a walk and a stolen base … 3B Max Burt went 1-for-3 … LF Canaan Smith and 1B Mickey Gasper went 0-for-7 with a walk from Smith … 2B Welfrin Mateo had a double and a HBP.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (2-1 loss vs. Brooklyn) … Home opener … LHP Justin Wilson tossed a scoreless eighth in a rehab appearance for Brooklyn.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nick Green: 3 1/3 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 5/1 GB/FB — 41 of his 61 pitches (67%) were strikes … Rehab start for the Double-A starter, who has been out since April 23.
In Relief: RHP Anderson Munoz: 4 1/3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K — Had six appearances for Charleston in April/May.
Hitting Star: SS Oswald Peraza: 2-for-4, 1 K — Was picked off second base.
On Deck: CF Everson Pereira: 0-for-4, 1 K
Other Notables: 1B Miguel Flames flew out with the bases loaded in the seventh … DH Ezequiel Duran, RF Juan De Leon, 3B Mitchell Robinson, 2B Jesus Basidas and C Carlos Narvaez each drew a walk.
The Rookie-level Pulaski Yankees begin play on Tuesday in Johnson City.
The Gulf Coast League Yankees East team opens up on Monday, June 24 while the GCL Yankees West play on Tuesday, June 25.