News & Notes
- Anthony Volpe was ranked #49 in Baseball Prospectus’ Top 50 Midseason prospects. Feels a bit aggressive, but I love it. The kid has been really good so far in 2021. Love it.
- The Yankees’ system ranks #7 overall, per FanGraphs midseason adjustment.
Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders fell 2-1 to the Mets in extra innings. They had a lead with just 5 outs to go, but couldn’t slam the door shut. A disappointing loss to bring them to 36-18 on the season. What can you do?
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Deivi Garcia: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 5 BB, 3 K – 53% of his pitches were strikes…he has 30 walks against 44 K in 38.2 IP this year…he needs to straighten that out
- In Relief: RHP Reggie McClain: 2.0 IP, H, 2 BB – 52% of his pitches were strikes…the 28-year-old former Phillie and Mariner has been very, very good for Scranton
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, R, BB, K – 50% of his pitches were strikes…allowed an 8th inning HR to tie it
- In Relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 1.0 IP, zeros, 3 K – 50% of his pitches were strikes…struck out the side anyway
- In Relief: RHP Sal Romano: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, zeros – 53% of his pitches were strikes…a victim of the extra-innings rule
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 0-5, 3 K
- Middle-Infield Rising: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 1-2, 2 BB
- RBI Alert: 3B Kyle Holder: 0-3, sac fly
- Leftovers: Andrew Velazquez had two hits…so did Rob Brantly…Trey Amburgy had the other, a double
Double-A Somerset Patriots Game 1
The Patriots smashed the SeaWolves 9-2 in the first game of the doubleheader to improve to 37-19 on the season. They had 9 runs on 9 hits and two walks, going 4-11 with RISP. A good day, that was.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP JP Sears: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, BB, 4 K – 58% of his pitches went for strikes…he has a 2.31 ERA
- In Relief: RHP Elvis Peguero: 2.1 IP, H, BB, K – 58% of his pitches went for strikes…earned his first win…nice performance in his Double-A debut
- Middle Infield Rising: SS Diego Castillo: 2-3, 2 R, 2 2B, K – he’s up to .333/.386/.619 through Game 1
- Multi-Hit Watch: CF Michael Beltre: 2-3, R, RBI
- Multi-Hit Watch: 3B Cristian Perez: 2-3, R, 2B
- Leftovers: Oswaldo Cabrera, Donny Sands, and Isiah Gilliam had the other Somerset hits in the victory
Double-A Somerset Patriots Game 2
This one was called in the bottom of the 6th with one out due to rain, so the inevitable Somerset comeback couldn’t happen. They fell 4-1 in the second game, falling to 37-20 on the season. They had just 3 hits in the game, which is not going to cut it.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Hayden Wesneski: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 3 K, HRA – 64% of his pitches were strikes.. the 23-year-old has struggled a bit since reaching Double-A
- In Relief: RHP Michael Gomez: 1.0 IP, zeros, K – 54% of his pitches were strikes
- Middle Infield Rising: 2B Diego Castillo: 0-3 – not every game is worth writing home about
- Middle Infield Rising: SS Oswald Cabrera: 1-3, K
- Hitting Star: 1B Dermis Garcia: 1-2, HR, RBI, K
- Leftovers: Matt Pita had the other hit, a double…nothing else of any import, though Michael Beltre, Oswaldo Cabrera, and Isiah Gilliam walked
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades defeated the Cyclones 6-4 and improved to 37-19 on the season.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Jhony Brito: 7.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 7 K – 73% of his pitches were strikes…very nice performance
- In Relief: RHP Trevor Holloway: 2.0 IP, H, 2 R, 2 BB, 3 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes
- Red Hot Alert: SS Josh Smith: 2-3, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB – he stays absolutely scorching
- Behind the Dish: C Josh Breaux: 3-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- First Round Watch: DH Anthony Siegler: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, K, CS
- Multi-Hit Watch: CF Brandon Lockridge: 2-4, SB
- Leftovers: Chad Bell had the other hit, a double…Isaiah Pasteur scored a run on a walk
High-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons continued rolling, defeating the Blue Jays 4-1 en route to their 38th victory of the season. They’ve only lost 17 times. They struck out 11 Blue Jays, walked just 2, and took a 3-0 lead in the first inning on a Hauver HR. As usual, that’ll work.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Randy Vasquez: 6.0 IP, 2 H, zeros, 5 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes…the 22-year-old has been very good for Tampa in 2021, and this was just another example
- In Relief: LHP Michael Giacone: 2.0 IP, zeros, BB, 3 K – 59% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Tanner Myatt: 0.1 IP, K – 57% of his pitches were strikes…he left with an injury of some kind
- In Relief: RHP Carson Coleman: 0.2 IP, H, R, BB, 2 K – 53% of his pitches were strikes
- First Round Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 0-3, R, 2 BB, K – the SS was ranked #49 on Baseball Prospectus’ Midseason Top 50 Prospects list
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 1-5, R, 2 K, SB
- Hauver Heat Check: DH Trevor Hauver: 1-3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB – he’s heating up again
- Call Up Alert: CF Everson Pereira: 1-3, BB
- Leftovers: Jake Sanford, Andres Chaparro, Pat DeMarco, and Jesus Bastidas had the other hits for Tampa, all singles
Florida Gulf Coast League Yankees
The FCL Yanks won 8-5 over the Tigers East, improving to 6-1 on the season. They had 11 hits and Jasson had 2 of them. Alexander Vargas had 4! Nice game overall.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nicio Rodriquez: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, BB, 4 K
- In Relief: RHP Kenlly Montas: 0.2 IP, zeros
- In Relief: RHP Josue Panacual: 1.2 IP, 2 H, R, K
- In Relief: RHP Carlos Gomez: 2.1 IP, H, BB, 4 K
- In Relief: RHP Christian Sumoza: 12 IP, 1 H, 2 R, BB, K
- In Relief: RHP Jarod Lessar: 0.1 IP, H, zeros
- Hitting Star: SS Alexander Vargas: 4-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, SB, CS – a 4-4 day will make a big difference at this stage…the 19-year-old is up to .304/.385/.348 now
- Martian Watch: CF Jasson Dominguez: 2-5, 2 R, RBI, SB – Jasson’s first career professional multi-hit game brings him to .200/.407/.200 on the early season
- Hitting Star: RF Anthony Garcia: 1-2, R, HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB, K
- Leftovers: Robert Chirinos, Luis Santos ,and Raimfer Salinas had the other hits for the Yanks