News and Notes
- Some call-ups yesterday. Here are the roster moves:
Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders improved to 42-21 after their 7-6 victory over the RedWings on Tuesday. They won this one in extras, outscoring the Red Wings 3-2 in the 10th inning. Donny Sands hit a bases-loaded double in the 10th to secure the walk-off victory.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Deivi Garcia: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 9 K – 66% of his pitches were strikes…a much more vintage Deivi performance…looks like he may be starting to turn a corner
- In Relief: RHP Sal Romano: 1.0 IP, zeros – 65% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Brady Koerner: 1.0 IP, H – 68% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Adam Warren: 1.0 IP, 2 H, R, K – 63% of his pitches were strikes….blew his second save
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 1.0 IP, H, 2 R (1 ER) – 68% of his pitches were strikes…earned his second win
- Hitting Star: C Donny Sands: 2-5, R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI – nice walk-off, obviously, but a good game overall
- Power Watch: 1B Armando Alvarez: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI
- Multi-Hit Watch: RF Matt Pita: 2-3, 2B, K, SB, 2 CS
- Leftovers: Thomas Milone had a hit, walk, and a stolen base…Andrew Velazquez had a hit, as did Philosopher King Socrates Brito, though he left 4 on base….Cristian Perez rounded out the hit column
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots fell to 40-26 after a disappointing 9-7 loss to the Curve. They gave up 8 runs in the 7th and 8th innings to blow what was a pretty sizable lead before that.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Janson Junk: 6.0 IP, 2 H, R, 3 BB, 5 K– 65% of his pitches were strikes…it was another fine performance for Junk, who has been excellent in 2021
- In Relief: RHP Barrett Loseke: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, BB, 3 K – 68% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Zack Greene: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, BB, K – 70% of his pitches were strikes…took the loss and a blown save
- In Relief: RHP Addison Russ: 1.1 IP, zeros, 2 BB, 2 K – 52% of his pitches were strikes
- Peraza Watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 2-5, R, HR, RBI
- Hitting Star: CF Brandon Lockridge: 3-5, R, 2B, K
- Multi-Hit Watch: DH Dermis Garcia: 2-3, 2 R, 2B, BB, K
- Leftovers: Oswaldo Cabrera, Michael Beltre, Jason Lopez, and Isiah Gilliam rounded out the hit column for Somerset
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The Renegades are 44-23 after utterly annihilating the IronBirds 19-1 on Tuesday. They allowed just 2 hits while logging 20 of their own, which seems like a pretty good ratio.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Reid Anderson: 4.2 IP, R, 3 BB, 7 K – 57% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Sean Boyle: 3.1 IP, H, zeros, 5 K – 81% of his pitches were strikes…he earned his first win
- In Relief: RHP Carlos Espinal: 1.0 IP, H, K – 81% of his pitches were also strikes
- First Round Watch: SS Anthony Volpe: 3-6, 4 R, 2 2B, RBI, BB – not a bad day for Volpe, who continues to mash
- Duran Watch: 2B Ezequiel Duran: 3-5, 3 R, 3B, 2 HR, 6 RBI, BB – have yourself a day
- Hitting Star: 1B Chad Bell: 3-6, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Leftovers: literally everyone could get a mention…James Nelson and Pablo Olivares both had 3 hits apiece, with Olivares logging a double…Josh Breaux had 2 hits…Anthony Seigler, Jake Sanford (HR), and Elijah Dunham rounded out the hits for the ‘Gades…everyone who took an official AB had at least one hit
Low-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons fell to 45-21 after yesterday’s 12-6 loss at the hands of the Clearwater Threshers. It was not their prettiest performance of the season, that’s for sure, though they did out-hit the Threshers 10-9.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Matt Sauer: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 4 BB, 7 K – 56% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nick Paciorek: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R, BB – 58% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 3 BB, K – 50% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Enrique Santana: 1.1 IP, zeros, 2 BB, K– 52% of his pitches were strikes
- Extra Terrestrial Landing: CF Jasson Dominguez: 1-5, K
- Hitting Star: DH Everson Pereira: 3-5, R, HR, 2 RBI, 2 K – he’s hitting .436 with the Tarpons
- Multi-Hit Watch: 1B Pedro Diaz: 2-4, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Leftovers: Trevor Hauver, Ryder Green, Aldenis Sanchez, and Eduardo Torrealba each had a hit
Florida Complex League Yankees Game 1
The FCL Yankees won game one of their doubleheader yesterday 4-0 against the Tigers. They didn’t allow a hit until the 7th and final frame.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Alfred Vega: 3.0 IP, zeros, 2 B, 4 K
- In Relief: RHP Carlos Gomez: 3.0 IP, zeros, BB, 6 K – he took the win
- In Relief: RHP Kenlly Montas: 1.0 IP, H, BB – allowed the only hit of the day
- Vargas Watch: SS Alexander Vargas: 1-2, K, SB
- Multi-Hit Alert: DH Alex Guerrero: 2-2, R, 2B, HR, RBI, BB
- Power Watch: 3B Dionys Vallejo: 1-1, HR
- Power Watch x2: 2B Roberto Chirinos: 1-2, HR, 2 RBI
- Leftovers: Antonio Gomez had the other hit for the Yanks…he also added a stolen base
Florida Complex League Yankees Game 2
The FCL Yankees improved to 11-4 after winning 17-4 against the Tigers in a 7-inning doubleheader. 17 runs!
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Juan Carela: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 4 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 8 K
- In Relief: LHP Ben Keizer: 3.1 IP, zeros, BB, 6 K
- Vargas Watch: SS Alexander Vargas: 2-5, R, 2B, 3B, RBI, 2 K – the 19-year-old is hitting .327/.400/.490 in 54 PA
- Alcantara Watch: CF Kevin Alcantara: 2-4, 3 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB, 2 K – the 19-year-old is hitting .353/.476/.588 in 21 PA so far
- Hitting Star: RF Madison Santos: 4-5, 2 R, 2B, 3B, HR, 6 RBI – hey, that’s a cycle
- Hitting Star x2: LF Stanley Rosario: 4-4, 3 R, 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBI
- Leftovers: everyone was a star…Anthony Garcia, Antonio Gomez, Marcos Cabrera, and Luis Santos each had at least one hit for the Yanks
Dominican Summer League Yankees 1
The DSL Yankees 1 are 3-4 after losing to the Rockies 6-5. Here’s the box score.
Dominican Summer League Yankees 2
The DSL Yankees 2 are 5-2 after losing to the Diamondbacks 2 5-1 on Tuesday. Here’s the box score.