News & Notes
- Right after his outing in the Futures Game (more on that below), Deivi Garcia was promoted to Triple-A. The 20-year-old has a 3.01 ERA with 114 strikeouts in 68 2/3 innings across High-A/Double-A.
- Garcia is young for his signing class, so he’ll need to be added to the 40-man roster after this season (I was wrong on that a few weeks ago). That makes a potential call-up to the Majors at some point more logical for NYY. Still, he’s a little more than a month past his 20th birthday.
Futures Game: (AL vs. NL 2-2 tie) … Deivi Garcia was the starting pitcher for the American League team and was the only NYY rep.
- RHP Deivi Garcia: 1 IP, zeros, 1 K — Fastball sat 93-97 mph. Attacked with his fastball and got Braves prospect Christian Pache looking on a 96-mph heater. Garcia used all four of his pitches and got a pop out on his changeup. No hard contact. Curveball was sharp as advertised. Last two batters he retired (WAS’s Kieboom and MIA’s Diaz) were Triple-A batters.
- Garcia, as you can imagine, was pumped to pitch in the game.
“Wow. There’s so much energy out there. I had a lot of adrenaline. That was so was exciting.” – Yankees pitching prospect Deivi Garcia on his first inning. #FuturesGame @MLBPipeline pic.twitter.com/6QJcGspF9l— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) July 7, 2019
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1: (6-3 win over Rochester F/7) … Beat up on former Railrider Drew Hutchison, who NYY released a few weeks ago.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Raynel Espinal: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 5/3 GB/FB — 53 of 80 (66%) were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP David Sosebee: 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
- Hitting Star: 1B Ryan McBroom: 1-for-2, HR, 2 R, RBI, BB
- On Deck: SS Thairo Estrada: 1-for-3, HR, R, RBI, BB
- On Deck: RF Zack Zehner: 1-for-3, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R, 1 K
- Notables: LF Clint Frazier went 1-for-4 … 2B Tyler Wade went 2-for-3 with a run and a stolen base … C Kyle Higashioka K’d twice in 3 AB.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 2: (7-4 win over Rochester F/7) … Makeup of yesterday’s rainout.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Stephen Tarpley: 2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 4/1 GB/FB — 20 of 33 (61%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Will Carter: 3 IP, 2 H, zeros — Triple-A debut
- In Relief: RHPs Jonathan Holder and Joe Harvey: Combined 2 IP, 0 R — Holder allowed two hits, neither had any K or BB.
- Hitting Star: DH Kyle Higashioka: 2-for-3, 2 2B, 2 RBI
- On Deck: 2B Tyler Wade: 2-for-2, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 R, 1 CS
- On Deck: C Erik Kratz: 2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 R
- Notables: SS Thairo Estrada hit a two-run double and K’d once in 3 AB … RF Trey Amburgey went 1-for-3 with a HR.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (3-0 win over Hartford)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Albert Abreu: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 6/4 GB/FB — 57 of 92 (62%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Nick Nelson: 3 IP, 1 H, zeros, 3 K
- Hitting Star: SS Kyle Holder: 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 HBP — Go-ahead single in the eighth inning.
- On Deck: 2B Hoy Jun Park: 1-for-4, 1 R, 2 K
- Notables: 3B Mandy Alvarez drew a walk … RF Isiah Gilliam went 1-for-3 for his 1st Double-A hit, though he was caught stealing … CF Rashad Crawford and 1B Gosuke Katoh went 1-for-2 with 1 BB.
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 1: (4-1 win over Clearwater F/7)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Miguel Yajure: 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 5/7 GB/FB — 58 of 102 (59%) were strikes.
- Hitting Star: C Jerry Sands: 2-for-2, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB
- On Deck: CF Estevan Florial: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 K
- Notables: 1B Steven Sensley went 1-for-3 with a 2B and SB … SS Diego Castillo went 1-for-3 with a 2B … DH Dermis Garcia K’d twice.
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 2: (2-0 win over Clearwater F/7) … Makeup of yesterday’s rainout.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Trevor Stephan: 2 IP, 2 H, zeros, 2 K — Unsure why he was pulled after just two innings.
- In Relief: LHP J.P. Sears: 4 IP, zeros, 1 BB, 3 K
- In Relief: RHP Matt Wivinis: 1 IP, zeros, 1 K
- Hitting Stars: SS Oswaldo Cabrera and DH Estevan Florial: Each 1-for-3, RBI single
- On Deck: CF Pablo Olivares: 1-for-3, 1 R
- Notables: LF Omar Carrizales went 1-for-2 with a run.
Single-A Charleston Riverdogs: (5-2 loss to Greenville)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Luis Gil: 5 IP, 1 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 6/4 GB/FB — 54 of 93 (58%) of pitches were strikes … Had a no-hitter through five innings, allowed first three batters to reach in sixth.
- In Relief: RHP Ron Marinaccio: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP
- Hitting Star: 3B Welfrin Mateo: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI
- On Deck: C Anthony Siegler: 1-for-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Notables: LF Canaan Smith went 2-for-4 and was picked off first … CF Josh Stowers went 1-for-3 with a HBP and 2 K.
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees: (3-2 loss to Connecticut)
- Starting Pitcher: LHP T.J. Sikkema: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 2/2 GB/FB — 21 of 30 (70%) pitches were strikes … Second straight scoreless performance to start the No. 38 overall pick’s career.
- In Relief: RHP Austin Gardner: 2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 6 K
- In Relief: RHP Justin Wilson: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- Hitting Star: CF Everson Pereira: 1-for-3, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB — First homer of the season for the 18-year-old.
- On Deck: SS Oswald Peraza went 1-for-4 with 1 K
- Notables: RF Jake Sanford went 0-for-4 with 3 K while 2B Ezequiel Duran went 0-for-3 with 1 BB and 3 K.
Rookie-Level Pulaski Yankees: (9-3 loss at Burlington)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Yoendrys Gomez: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 5 K, 4/3 GB/FB — 47 of 82 (57%) pitches were strikes.
- In Relief: RHP Jackson Bertsch: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP
- In Relief: RHP Nelson Alvarez: 1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 1 K
- Hitting Star: 2B Roberto Chirinos: 3-for-5, 1 RBI, 1 R
- On Deck: LF Antonio Cabello: 1-for-2, 1 2B, 2 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 CS
- Notables: DH Ryder Green went 2-for-4 with an RBI double … SS Oliver Dunn had an RBI single and a K in four ABs.
GCL Yankees East and West were off today.