- Aaron Judge’s rehab in Scranton-WB may last just one more day. He played RF today and just wants to play RF in back-to-back games. That would mean Thursday would be a travel day for him (Scranton still plays that day) and then he could be back in the Yankees’ lineup Friday.
- Clint Frazier will play mostly center and right field in Scranton, according to manager Jay Bell. That sounds to me like when the Yankees had Robinson Cano play 3B in 2004 as an audition for the Mariners, who wanted a 3B prospect for Freddy Garcia. Glad that trade never materialized.
- Also, Frazier hasn’t reported yet as he has 72 hours to report. That’s not noteworthy and it won’t be unless he doesn’t report on time. Don’t let reports make you think otherwise.
- Brandon Lockridge finished as the runner-up in the South Atlantic League Home Run Derby with 13 dingers in the final round … Canaan Smith hit seven in the first round.
- Here’s a cool Canaan Smith photo from the All-Star Game.
Aaron Judge hits his first homer of his rehab assignment. You don’t see line drives from righties that go this deep into the lawn in right center. pic.twitter.com/aaOxAIQmNl— Conor Foley (@RailRidersTT) June 19, 2019
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (8-4 win over Norfolk)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Randal Delgado: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 Balk, 7/3 GB/FB — 55 of 91 pitches (60%) were strikes … Three quality starts in five outings for Scranton.
- In Relief: LHP Stephen Tarpley: 2 2/3 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Hitting Star: RF Aaron Judge: 1-for-2, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB, 1 K — All Rise! His home run was deep to right field which means Aaron Judge BYKE … He also threw out a runner at second base.
- On Deck: CF Mike Tauchman: 1-for-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 R, 1 K — The three-run homer was his second with Scranton.
- Summer of Thairo Estrada: 2-for-3, 1 2B, 2 R, 1 BB — #SummerofThairo
- Notables: 1B Mike Ford and C Kyle Higashioka also homered in the first inning … SS Tyler Wade went 2-for-4 with a double … DH Logan Morrison went 1-for-2 with 2 BB and a CS … 3B Breyvic Valera and LF Trey Amburgey each had a hit.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (6-0 win over Richmond) … The Thunder are your Eastern Division First-half champions! They finished tied with Reading but won on run differential.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Deivi Garcia: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 15 K, 1 WP, 3 GB/FB — 63 of 98 pitches (64%) were strikes … HOLY MOTHERFORKING SHIRTBALLS … That’s obviously the season-high for a Yankee MiLBer in strikeouts … That’s a career game and to clinch the division no less!
- In Relief: RHPs Brooks Kriske, Domingo Acevedo and Daniel Alvarez each tossed a scoreless inning … Acevedo struck out two while the other two struck out one … Kriske allowed two baserunners.
- Hitting Star: 1B Chris Gittens: 2-for-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K — Finishes the first half with a .293/.416/.532 batting line.
- On Deck: LF Zack Zehner: 1-for-4, 1 3B, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 K — His triple helped bust the game open.
- Notables: C Kellin Deglan and CF Rashad Crawford each had two hits with Crawford scoring a run and knocking one in … RF Ben Ruta tripled and hit a sacrifice fly … SS Kyle Holder and 3B Mandy Alvarez each had one hit while 2B Hoy Jun Park walked twice.
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 1: (6-4 walk-off loss at Dunedin F/10) … Finished suspended game from Monday, had led 4-1 through four innings before rain
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Miguel Yajure: 4 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 4/2 GB/FB — 50 of 78 pitches (64%) were strikes … Strong start ended by rain.
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K — All three relievers gave up runs Tuesday … Matt Wivinis allowed a walk-off homer in his second inning of work.
- Hitting Star: 1B Dermis Garcia: 3-for-5, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 CS
- On Deck: CF Estevan Florial: 2-for-5, 1 R, 1 SB — Has four stolen bases in 11 games.
- Notables: 3B Oswaldo Cabrera went 1-for-4 with a double, a run, RBI and a walk … RF Isiah Gilliam did the same as Cabrera without the walk.
High-A Tampa Tarpons Game 2: (6-5 win at Dunedin F/7) … Scored all six runs while down 4-0 in the top of the seventh.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Frank German: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 1/3 GB/FB — 53 of 90 pitches (59%) were strikes … The 2018 fourth-round pick has 14 K in his last 10 innings.
- In Relief: RHP Kyle Zurak: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K — Tying run was thrown out in a rundown between third and home to end the game.
- Hitting Star: 1B Dermis Garcia: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 K — Hit a pop up that fell to break a 4-4 tie in the seventh. It’s better to be lucky than good!
- On Deck: DH Estevan Florial: 1-for-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 R, 2 K — Key two-run double during the game-tying rally.
- Notables: SS Diego Castillo went 1-for-4 with a run, an RBI and a stolen base … CF Pablo Olivares went 2-for-3 with a triple and a run … RF Isiah Gilliam had two walks and a run scored in four PAs
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs were off for the South Atlantic League All-Star Game, in which their division, the south, lost 6-2. Here’s the box score … and here are their performers in Tuesday’s game:
- LF Canaan Smith: 1-for-2, 1 K
- PH-LF Brandon Lockridge: 1-for-2, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 R — Took over for Smith and hit a two-run homer for all of the South Division’s runs.
- PH-DH Mickey Gasper: 0-for-2
- RHP Alexander Vizcaino: 1/3 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP — Blew the lead and lost the game in the eighth inning … glad this game doesn’t count!
Short-Season Staten Island Yankees suffered their second rainout and will have a doubleheader Wednesday.
The Rookie-level Pulaski Yankees had their season opener postponed and will play a doubleheader in Johnson City on Wednesday.
The Gulf Coast League Yankees East team opens up on Monday while the GCL Yankees West play on Tuesday.