News & Notes
- Here are some COVID protocol implementation photos around PNC Park in Scranton, per Conor Foley.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders won again on the back of a great performance from Deivi Garcia. It was a great night from the staff overall, who retired 27 of the 31 batters they faced with 13 strikeouts and just 1 walk. Their 6-0 victory over the Iron Pigs makes the RailRiders 6-1 on the young season. That’ll play.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Deivi Garcia: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 7 K – 60% of his pitches were strikes…huge rebound game for Garcia, who has really struggled with his command in 2021
- In Relief: LHP Nestor Cortes Jr.: 3.0 IP, 1 H, zeros, 5 K – 67% of his pitches were strikes…batters are hitting .056 against Nasty Nestor in 2021 so far
- In Relief: RHP Albert Abreu: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 K – 50% of his pitches were strikes…decent appearance for Abreu, who is filthy but needs to be even close to the plate to have success
- Miggy Mantle Watch: LF Miguel Andújar: 1-4, 1 RBI – nice to see him get a hit, but he botched an easy play in left that led to a double
- Hitting Star: DH Trey Amburgey: 1-2, 1 2B, 2 RBI – got hurt on the double, no word on what happened…video below
- Leftovers: Kyle Holder and Socrates Brito had the only other hits…hitters 6-9 were 0-9 but had 4 walks
The Patriots fell to 5-2 on the season after losing 6-5 to the Fisher Cats. They were down 5-1 in the 7th but clawed their way back. It was a tie game in the 9th, but they lost on a walk-off walk. Oh well. Can’t win ’em all.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Shawn Semple: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 3K – 60% of his pitches were strikes…the 25-year-old has allowed 5 hits and 2 runs in 8 innings of work
- In Relief: RHP Reid Anderson: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K – 59% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Greg Weissert: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 5 K – 71% of his ptiches were strikes…he left the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, but struck out the last guy he faced…he still took the loss
- In Relief: RHP Michael Gomez: 0.0 IP, 1 BB – 0% of his pitches were strikes, lol…he replaced Weissert with the bases jacked and 2 outs and immediately walked in the winning run
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 0-5, 1 K
- Hitting Star: C Donny Sands: 1-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI – he hit a clutch 2-run double in the 8th that made it a 5-4 game
- Hitting Star: LF Thomas Milone: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 HR – kicked off the scoring for Somerset…he’s hitting .389
- Leftovers: Quiet night otherwise for the offense…only Oswaldo Cabrera and Hoy Jun Park had other hits…everyone but Diego Castillo struck out once for a total of 13
Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades fell to 3-4 with a 4-0 loss to the IronBirds. They’re the only sub-.500 team in the system, for what it’s worth. Just a brutal night for the offense. It happens.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Ken Waldichuk: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 10 K – 59% of his pitches were strikes…all 10 of his outs were strikeouts, obviously…has 12 in 6 innings of work in 2021…read Derek’s profile of the 2019 fifth rounder
- In Relief: RHP Barret Loseke: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 BB – 50% of his pitches were strikes…he took the loss
- In Relief: LHP Matt Minnick: 1.2 IP, 1 R, 2 BB, 2 K – 50% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K – 68% of his pitches were strikes
- Top of the Lineup Watch: Oswald Peraza, Ezequiel Duran, and Josh Breaux went 0-12 with 4 strikeouts
- Hitting “Star”: CF Brandon Lockridge: 1-3, 1 BB, 2 SB
- Leftovers: brutal night for the Renegades…they mustered just two hits (Mickey Gasper had the other), striking out 10 and walking just twice
Tampa kept it rolling, improving to 6-1 on the season with a 5-1 victory over the Flying Tigers. Their pitchers allowed just 3 hits, struck out 9, and walked 3. Quiet night for the offense, who scored “just” 5 runs and worked 1 walk. Still, it’ll do.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Randy Vasquez: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K – 61% of his pitches were strikes…has allowed just 3 hits and 2 runs in 6.1 IP so far…had his strikeout pitch working this time, striking out 5 compared to 1 in his season debut
- In Relief: LHP Michael Giancone: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes…retired 8 of the 10 batters he faced…he earned the win
- In Relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K – 73% of his pitches were strikes…retired 10 of 11 batters
- Hauver Watch: 2B Trevor Hauver: 0-5, 2 K – even the hottest hitters in the world have bad nights…hilariously, he’s still hitting .435
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 2-4, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – nice night overall, he needed it
- Hitting Star: RF Elijah Dunham: 2-4, 1 R, 1 SB
- Leftovers: Chad Bell, Carlos Narvaez, and Pat DeMarco all had hits…5 of the 9 hits came from the bottom 4 slots in the lineup…it’s a deep Tampa team so far