News & Notes
- As you already know, Ryan LaMarre is with the big boys in the Bronx now. He’s no longer in Scranton, where Estevan Florial took his place.
- Another note: remember, there are no MiLB games tomorrow. DoTF will return on Tuesday as a new six-game series kicks off.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders
Scranton won again, defeating the Lehigh Valley IronPigs 3-1 in Sunday’s series finale. They improve to 9-3 on the young season. It was a dominant day for both pitching staffs – Spencer Howard was pretty dominant – but the RailRiders struck out 15 IronPigs and walked just 3. That will get the job done.
- Starting pitcher: RHP Deivi Garcia: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 9 K – threw 60% strikes today…the curve was nice…the soon-to-be 22-year-old is finding a groove, walking just 2 batters while striking out 16 this week…command and control had been an issue thus far in 2021
- In Relief: RHP Brooks Kriske: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes…two straight scoreless outings for Kriske, who was hit hard in his first two Triple-A appearances…he earned the win
- In Relief: RHP Nestor Cortes Jr.: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 – 66% of Nasty Nestor’s pitches were strikes…he’s yet to allow a run in Triple-A…he earned a save
- Florial Watch: CF Estevan Florial: 0-4, 3 K – close followers of Florial’s career to date are likely not surprised by this line, but those clamoring for him in the Bronx should take note
- Hard Hittin’ Chris Gittens: 2-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI – struck out twice, but also hammered his 4th HR of the season
- Philosopher King: RF Socrates Brito: 1-4, 2 K
- Leftovers: otherwise rough night offensively for the RailRiders…aside from the above, just Armando Alvarez had a hit, a single…the team struck out 13 times and left 5 men on base
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots fell to 7-5 with a 6-0 loss to the Fisher Cats. Somerset had traffic on the bases – 5 walks and 4 hits will do that – but they left all 9 on base. The team was 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position. That will not get the job done. The bullpen was fantastic, though
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Shawn Semple: 3.2 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR – 62% of his pitches were strikes, a good reminder that not all strikes are equal…faced 20 men and only recorded 11 outs…obviously tagged with the loss
- In Relief: RHP Jefry Valdez: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R – 65% of his pitches were strikes…Valdez has allowed 2 runs in 9.1 innings of work
- In Relief: RHP Ron Marinaccio: 1.0 IP, zeros, 1 K – a nice 69% of his pitches were strikes…dominant outing for the 25-year-old, who has 12 strikeouts in 7.2 innings
- In Relief: RHP Stephen Ridings: 1.0 IP, 1 K – 73% of his pitches went for strikes…Ridings is yet to allow a run this year
- Hitting Star: CF Thomas Milone: 1-4, 2 K – not much of a star, but slim pickings…he gets the honor because he’s hitting .324 on the year
- Leftovers: everyone but Michael Beltre and Brandon Wagner reached base…Oswaldo Cabrera, Donny Sands, and Dermis Garcia all had hits, the other starters had a walk
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades kept it at .500 with a 10-4 victory over the IronBirds. They had 14 hits and 4 walks. There were some blown opportunities, with the team leaving 10 men on base. Decent day for the staff, who struck out 10 but still allowed 4 runs. Overall, though, it’ll do.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Ken Waldichuk: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 7 K – 63% of his pitches were strikes…yet another dominant performance for the 23-year-old 2019 draftee, who has struck out 17 men in his last 7.1 innings pitched…if he keeps that up, Yankee prospect watchers will soon be eyeing his every start
- In Relief: LHP Matt Minnick: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 K – 77% of his pitches were strikes…earned the win
- In Relief: RHP Tanner Myatt: 2.0 IP, zeros, 1 BB – 57% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: Not That Justin Wilson: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 1 K – 50% of his pitches were strikes..rough outing, facing 7 and retiring 3
- Hitting Star: DH Ezequiel Duran: 4-5, 2 2B – on base four times, got 4 hits and didn’t touch home or send someone there, brutal…good night at the dish brings him up to .292/.320/.396 on the season
- 3-Run Part One: 3B James Nelson: 2-4, 3 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI – tagged a 3-run HR
- 3-Run Part Two: RF Frederick Cuevas: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 5 RBI – also tagged a 3-run HR
- Leftovers: everyone but Josh Breaux (now hitting .156) and Isaiah Pasteur had a hit, but Pasteur reached base with a walk…Eric Wagaman and Oliver Dunn had 2 apiece
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons are 9-3 after dispatching the Flying Tigers 4-1 on Sunday. Weird win, as they scored 4 runs on just 2 hits…but they were well-timed. Both were run-scoring hits, and that’s what happens when you walk 8 times in a game. It’ll do.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Ryan Anderson: 2.1 IP, 2 H, zeros, 1 BB, 3 K – 59% of his pitches were strikes…first scoreless outing of the season for Anderson, who’d allowed 4 runs in 1.1 innings in both previous starts
- In Relief: RHP Trevor Holloway: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 B, 4 K – 64% of his pitches were strikes
- In Relief: RHP Blane Abeyta: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 2 K – 56% of his pitches were strikes…earned his first win of the season
- In Relief: LHP Edgar Barclay: 1.1 IP, zeros, 2 K – 75% of his pitches were strikes…earned his first save
- Hauver Heat Check: 2B Trevor Hauver: 1-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K – since his outrageous start, Hauver is 2-17 but he does have 6 walks…despite that, he’s hitting .343/.510/.886
- First Round Watch: C Austin Wells: 0-3, 1 R, 1 BB – he’s hitting .234/.345/.404
- Other Hit: 1B Andres Chaparro: 1-3, 1 2B, 2 RBI – talk about a well-timed hit, eh?
- Leftovers: everyone else really struggled, aside from the walks…brutal boxscore