- High praise for SS Anthony Volpe in Keith Law’s Futures Game piece at The Athletic today. Volpe, who Law lists as a snub, has changed Law’s mind since the Yankees drafted him in 2019. Law notes that “[he] was not a big fan…but he’s turned into a potential star this year”. High praise.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders’ game against Worcester was suspended affter two innings of play and will resume tomorrow. Of note, RHP Nick Nelson had a very Nelson-esque start, giving up two runs while walking four and striking out four before the suspension. On the offensive side, CF Estevan Florial singled, stole second, and then was caught stealing third in this one. They’ll pick this game up tomorrow at 4:05pm, followed by another thereafter.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
Tonight’s game was rained out. There’ll be a straight doubleheader against Harrisburg tomorrow starting at 5:05pm.
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The weather held up for this one in Lakewood between the Renegades and Jersey Shore BlueClaws. Hudson Valley won in 10 innings, 8-7 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: LHP Josh Maciejewski: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 9 K — 54 of 77 pitches were strikes (70%)…Terrific start for the nearly 26 year-old, who the team drafted in the 10th round in 2018.
- In relief: RHP Nick Ernst: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR — 21 of 40 pitches were strikes (53%)…Gave up one in the seventh and then allowed four more in the eighth without recording an out
- In relief: RHP Nelson Alvarez: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K — 27 of 40 pitches were strikes (68%)
- Hitting co-star: DH Josh Breaux: 2-5, R, HR, 2 RI, K — Has an eight-game hitting streak and three homers during it, raising his OPS from .570 to .708. It’s an important year for the former second rounder as he’s Rule 5 eligible this winter.
- Hitting co-star: CF Brandon Lockridge: 2-5, 2 R, 3B, 3 RBI, SB — Only has three steals this year, but he can really fly. Like Breaux, also Rule 5 eligible in the offseason.
- First round watch: C Anthony Seigler: 1-4, 3 R, 2B, BB, 2 K — First game since he exited after a HBP on the 27th. Also had passed ball and throwing error.
- Leftovers: LF Elijah Dunham tallied two hits and two RBIs…1B Chad Bell tripled…SS Josh Smith singled and struck out thrice.
Single-A Tampa Tarpons
The Tarpons were supposed to play a double header against Jupiter today, but instead they were rained out again. They’ll try to play two tomorrow, starting at 4pm.
Rookie-Level FCL Yankees
The Yanks topped the Phillies in seven innings, 11-3 (box score).
- Starting pitcher: RHP Blane Abeyta: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- In relief: RHP Yon Castro: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
- In relief: RHP Starling Perez: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- The Martian: DH Jasson Dominguez: 0-2, 3 R, 2 BB, 1 HBP, 1 K — Still waiting for his first hit, but he’s been on base a bunch. The HBP happened in the first inning, by the way, so it seems like he’s fine as he remained in the game. Only ball in play was a pop-up.
- Hitting Star: LF Everson Pereira: 3-4, 3 R, 2 2B, HR, 3 RBI — Heck of a game for MLB Pipeline’s 17th-best Yankees prospect.
- Leftovers: SS Alexander Vargas picked up a single, as did RF Ryder Green. CF Kevin Alcantara was hitless. As usual, the team made mass substitutions mid-way through this one, though Dominguez remained in the game for the full seven innings as the DH. Alcantara, however, was pulled after just one-at bat, while everyone else played longer. Not sure what the deal is there.