- The Yankees released INF Cliff Pennington. Between Brad Miller, Breyvic Valera and Tyler Wade, he was supplanted as a depth infielder in Triple-A. Doesn’t help that Gio Urshela has excelled and Didi Gregorius is nearly back.
- I wrote about the Yankees potentially drafting Jack Leiter in the first round of the MLB draft and they did select him … in the 20th round. Baseball America explains why that means he’s almost guaranteed not to sign.
- MiLB.com wrote about farm system storylines for May and Chris Tripodi wrote about Chance Adams returning to prospect form.
- Finally, here’s the Matt Lipka bunt to break up a no-hitter yesterday.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 1: (3-0 win at Buffalo in seven innings)
- Didi Watch: Sir Didi Gregorius played DH and went 2-for-4 with a strikeout and run scored … Thought he was supposed to play shortstop today. Wonder if this means he has one game left or 25 ABs is enough for the shortstop.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Chance Adams: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 9/5 GB/FB — 63 of his 89 pitches (71%) were strikes … Lots of balls in play, but a complete shutout nonetheless for Adams.
- Hitting Star: 2B Breyvic Valera: 2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 GIDP — Starting the scoring with an RBI double.
- On Deck: LF Trey Amburgey: 2-for-4, 1 R
- Other Notables: 3B Brad Miller had an RBI single … 1B Mike Ford went 0-for-1 with a walk, HBP and a run scored.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Game 2: (4-0 win at Hartford in seven innings) … Makeup of Apr. 19 game.
- Starting Pitcher: LHP Nestor Cortes Jr.: 6 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K, 5/1 GB/FB — 52 of his 76 pitches (68%) were strikes … Dominant in return to Triple-A … just two balls left the infield.
- In Relief: RHP J.P. Feyereisen: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K — 2.93 ERA for Feyereisen
- Hitting Star: 2B Breyvic Valera: 1-for-3, 1 HR, 2 RBI — He. Does. Not. Stop. Hitting.
- On Deck: C Kyle Higashioka: 1-for-3, solo homer, 2 Ks — Seventh dinger for both Higgy and Valera.
- Other Notables: 1B Ryan McBroom went 2-for-2 with a walk.
Double-A Trenton Thunder: (7-2 win at Hartford)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Deivi Garcia: 4 1/3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 4 K, 1 balk, 4/4 GB/FB — 47 of his 80 pitches (59%) were strikes … Better than his last time out yet still a short outing for the 20-year-old.
- In Relief: RHP Domingo Acevedo: 1 2/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K — Gave up two doubles and a triple … Brady Lail finished things with two innings of scoreless relief.
- Hitting Star: C Kellin Deglan: 3-for-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 R — First homer with Trenton this year, second overall (Scranton).
- On Deck: CF Rashad Crawford: 1-for-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 3 K — Put Trenton ahead with a clutch two-run double in the seventh inning.
- Other Notables: 2B Hoy Jun Park went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts … 3B Wendell Rijo had two hits, two runs and a two-run double … LF Zack Zehner had an RBI single and a run scored.
High-A Tampa Tarpons: (7-3 loss to Port St. Lucie)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Janson Junk: 4 2/3 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 7/3 GB/FB — 48 of his 81 pitches (59%) were strikes … Junk’s fourth start of the season
- In Relief: RHP Braden Bristo: 2 1/3 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
- Hitting Star: 3B Angel Aguilar: 1-for-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K — Second homer for the Venezuelan third baseman.
- On Deck: CF Estevan Florial: 1-for-4, 1 SB — First stolen base of the season … 5-for-12 (.416) in three games.
- Other Notables: 1B Steven Sensley went 1-for-4 and was caught stealing home, seems like it was a double steal gone wrong.
Single-A Charleston RiverDogs: (2-1 win at Greensboro)
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Alexander Vizcaino: 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 7/3 GB/FB — 60 of his 91 pitches (66%) were strikes … The 22-year-old has a 3.16 ERA in Charleston and has gone at least six innings in four of his last five starts.
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K — Has a 20:15 K:BB ratio this season.
- Hitting Star: LF Canaan Smith: 1-for-4, solo HR, 2 K — His homer in the ninth inning broke a 1-1 tie.
- On Deck: 1B Mickey Gasper: 1-for-4, solo HR, 1 K — Tied game with HR in the seventh inning.
- Other Notables: 2B/3B Ricky Surum went 1-for-3 with a stolen base.
The Short-Season Staten Island Yankees open their season in Brooklyn on Friday, June 14.
The Rookie-level Pulaski Yankees begin play on Tuesday, June 18.
The Gulf Coast League Yankees East team opens up on Monday, June 24 while the GCL Yankees West play on Tuesday, June 25.