News & Notes
Like the tweet says, Brito was promoted and he started tonight for Somerset filling newly traded Janson Junk’s spot in the rotation.
Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The RailRiders game against Syracuse was rained out and will not be made up since the two teams don’t meet again this season. The RailRiders are 47-26 for the season.
Double-A Somerset Patriots
The Patriots are currently in a rain delay in the 8th inning of their game against Reading. They lead 4-2 due to drawing 12 walks and here’s the current box score and stats thus far:
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Jhony Brito: 6.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 3 K – 65% strikes in his debut at the level…in line for the win in this nice start
- In Relief: RHP Michael Gomez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K – 65% strikes…has a 2.45 ERA in AA
- Peraza Watch: SS Oswald Peraza: 1-3, 2 BB
- Leftovers: Jason Lopez, Max Burt, and Isiah Gilliam each had 1 hit to round out the offense…again, 12! walks on the day!
High-A Hudson Valley Renegades
The ‘Gades won a rain shortened 6 inning game 5-0 over Wilmington thanks to home runs from Josh Breaux, Anthony Volpe, and Pat DeMarco to move to 50-28 on the year.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Sean Boyle: 4.0 IP, 1 H, zeroes, 5 K – 70% strikes
- In Relief: Matt Minnick: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K – 57% strikes
- Homer Watch: SS Anthony Volpe, DH Josh Breaux, & RF Pat DeMarco: 1-3, 1 HR each (see videos below)
Low-A Tampa Tarpons
Game 1: Tampa needed “extras” to score 4 in the 9th to win the first game of the double header 4-0 over Palm Beach.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Nicio Rodriguez: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K – 70% strikes…love the strikes and the K/BB ratio
- In Relief: LHP Clay Aguilar: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K – 67% strikes
- In Relief: RHP Nelvin Correa: 2.1 IP, zeroes, 3 K – has a 1.14 ERA and 1.02 WHIP on the year.
- Offensive Star: 3B Andres Chaparro: 2-4, 1 R, 2 RBI – had the first RBI of the game
- Multi-hit Watch: LF Ryder Green: 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI – the 3rd rounder has a .891 OPS
- Leftovers: The Martian went hitless…bust…DH Aldenis Sanchez also had two hits
Game 2: This one was more like the Tarpons we know and love as they won 17-6 while only hitting one HR! They batted over .500 as a team for the game! They are 54-23 overall.
- Starting Pitcher: RHP Blane Abeyta: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 4 K – 71% strikes
- In Relief: LHP Ben Keizer: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 0 K – 51% strikes…wild and not effective but picked up the win due to the offensive barrage
- In Relief: RHP Wellington Diaz: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K – 82% strikes…clearly knew how to handle a late-inning blowout
- Double-header damage: DH Andres Chaparro & CF Aldenis Sanchez: After picking up 2 hits in the first game, both went 2-4 again in the second with 3 RBI apiece
- Multi-hit Watch: SS Roberto Chirinos, RF Juan De Leon, LF Evan Alexander, & 3B Eduardo Torrealba all hit 2 hits on the day. The offense was unstoppable.