The Yankees are off tonight after a very frustrating series in Tropicana Field over the weekend. They dropped 3 of 4 to the pesky Rays, and while it was often difficult to watch, the Yankees are in a very good position. The season is 25% over and they’re in first place. Masahiro Tanaka looked brilliant on Friday and James Paxton looked much better yesterday. The offense will be fine. And on and on. It’s important to keep perspective.
Anyway, YES Network’s trivia question on Friday night (which was a great one), got me thinking about Hiroki Kuroda, so let’s start this one off with a tribute to him. Our man was a damn stud and would be a legend had he played for better NYY teams.
And, with that, let’s get to today’s news:
- The Yankees optioned Thairo Estrada to the ~Alternative Site~ today. He was recalled from the Taxi Squad yesterday when Giancarlo Stanton was placed on the 1o-day IL. (Lindsey Adler)
- Yes, that means that Clint Frazier will likely be on his way up. There was some confusion on this in the discourse today, but it’s true. The Yanks can’t recall Miguel Andújar before 10 days pass (he’s replacing Estrada, not Stanton). The only other outfielder on the roster is Estevan Florial, so you can do the math. That and Andy Martino reported that it’ll be Frazier. Can’t wait for another few weeks of Frazier arguing. (Andy Martino)
- Jordan Montgomery will start tomorrow’s game against Atlanta and Masahiro Tanaka will start Wednesday’s game, the Yankees reported. (Lindsey Adler) This means the Yanks are skipping J.A. Happ. Given the off days, they can go until next Tuesday (8/18) against Tampa Bay without starting him. That’s the right move.
- There was a cool profile of Yanks catcher Max McDowell in today’s Hartford Courant. McDowell, formerly of UConn, gives us the most in-depth look at what life is like at the ~Alternative Site~ at “Field 2” to date. Check this one out.
- The Yankees are taking their COVID-19 protocols seriously. The team has turned their hotels “into an extension of their lavish home clubhouse, providing amenities such as a game room, complete with a ping pong table, electronic dartboards and the arcade classic Galaga.” (Marc Carig, subs req’d)
- Cleveland’s Mike Clevinger and Zack Plesac violated team protocol and have been placed into quarantine. That’s quite a blow for Cleveland and a very stupid, immature decision from the two players. (Jon Heyman)
- Marcus Stroman opted out of the 2020 season after recovering from his calf injury. Next up for Stroman is free agency after the season. I expect the former Yankee fan to be connected to the team all winter before he signs somewhere else. (Jon Heyman)
The Yanks return to action tomorrow night in the Bronx against Atlanta at 7:05 pm EDT. Jordan Montgomery (1-1, 5.59 ERA) will be taking on Touki Toussaint (0-0, 6.08 ERA) to start a long home stand. Let’s hope the Yanks return to the win column. Until then, have a good night, everyone.