Things turned on a dime for Aaron Boone’s Yankees last week. Funny what a winning streak can do to wipe away bad memories. That meltdown against Toronto on Monday? Followed by a GM-led team meeting before yet another loss? Long forgotten after the Yankees went on a five game winning streak to close the week. Let’s take a look at latest with the Yankees’ now happier manager:
- Brian Cashman met with the team at the beginning of the week. Boone thought Cashman had a great message and that the “proof is in the pudding”.
- How did the skipper handle the losing skid that continued into the start of the week?
- “Look, you’re doing things all the time behind the scenes from a coaching standpoint, from a morale standpoint, but also trying to remain (calm), especially when you have a belief in the guys in the room and a belief in the club and what we’re doing,” Boone said. “Whether you’re going through a tough time personally, whether you’re going through a tough time as a club, whether you’re on a hot streak, I would hope you’d walk into our room and there’s not a lot of variance by how the guys approach the day, the energy we bring to the field each and every day.
- Boone acknowledged and provided an addendum to Luke Voit’s comments about some players
- The latest in load management: Boone gave Gleyber Torres a rest yesterday. That said, Boone also inserted him into the game in the nick of time. Torres delivered the game-winning two-run double yesterday.
- Boone’s description of the Yankees’ clubhouse after breaking its 5 game losing skid: a discotheque.
- Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton will return from the injured list soon. Does that leave Clint Frazier in a precarious situation? Nope, the manager says he’s earned a continued starting role.
- A good manager protects his players. That’s why Boone played it close to the vest with regard to Aroldis Chapman’s…situation…on Saturday.
Please take a moment to vote on the three poll questions below. You can see the results through last week by scrolling down further.