This was another ho hum sort of week, right? That’ll happen with such a significant division lead. With the Yankees in this position during the dog days of summer, I’m sure most of us are less concerned with results and more focused on getting everyone healthy. Nonetheless, the Bombers took to sweeping the lowly Orioles and salvaged a split against Toronto.
2019 Regular Season Record: 77-41 (1st place, 8.5 games ahead of Rays)
Last Week: 5-2
Upcoming: Home vs. Orioles (4 games, 8/12 – 8/14, including double header today), Home vs. Cleveland (4 games, 8/15 – 8/18)
Recent Aaron Boone News:
- There’s been plenty of good fodder for Yankees vs. the umpires this season. On Friday, Brett Gardner bizarrely got ejected which left Aaron Boone and the rest of us pretty confused. Though he didn’t play as big of a role this time (warning: language) as compared to his “Savages” rant, Boone got involved to stand up for Gardy.
- Aaron Judge’s power is down this season, but the skipper doesn’t sound terribly concerned. Although Boone acknowledged that Judge is working on stuff (who isn’t?), he went on to note that he’s going to be “the beast” over the long run.
- Jonathan Loaisiga was excellent in his last rehab outing. Boone says that he will be a bullpen option this week, in case you were wondering if the Yankees might try him as a starter once more this season.
- The Yankees have been victorious in all eleven games they’ve used an opener. So, perhaps it’s no surprise that the manager considers it a legitimate postseason option. Given the team’s options, it makes some sense provided the bullpen isn’t already overwhelmed.
- Boone handled Gleyber Torres’s core injury carefully over the weekend after it resurfaced mid-week. Though the team thought they were in the clear initially after last Sunday’s win over Boston, it turns out that wasn’t the case. The team remained vigilant over the last few days, as Boone explained, before Gleyber returned to action yesterday.
Please take a moment to vote in the three polls below: